Very important Question

kirk1701™

OK, seen this on a movie the other night and posted it on another forum also, it turned into a great debate for days :D

The question is:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a noise? :clapping:

Ask the squirrel's, they know everything that goes on in the forest.

What if there are no squirrels around?

If no one is around to hear it then it didn't make any noise did it :devil:

Yes. Just because theres no receivers there ( our human Ear ) The tranmitter of the noise is still there ( the tree hitting the ground ) so I would say yes!

eg: your car produces exhaust in the summer, just because its too warm to produce the visible vapors, doesn't mean there're not there, there are there winter and summer, visible or not. Did that make any sense at all......... >_<:lol:

Yes. Just because theres no receivers there ( our human Ear ) The tranmitter of the noise is still there ( the tree hitting the ground ) so I would say yes!

eg: your car produces exhaust in the summer, just because its too warm to produce the visible vapors, doesn't mean there're not there, there are there winter and summer, visible or not. Did that make any sense at all......... >_<:lol:

I agree with the vapors kev, you can smell it winter or summer.

But if no one hears the sound of the tree then how would anyone know for sure that sound waves are made? :teehee:

Understand this is just for fun. :thumbup:

cut down a million trees record the noise waves come to the conclusion that trees do make noise when knocked down you can then extrapolate and conclude that the tree that fell while no one was around to hear it did in fact make noise

The fact that you would hear the sound if you were there.. should answer the question..if there is a circumstance where a tree fell near by and did NOT produce a sound you could hear would suggest another possibility...

wayne

btw..there are much more important questions that need answers.....

You've never been to the forest have you? :teehee:

Edited by jack

You've never been to the forest have you? :teehee:

Yep, I'm the crazy redneck who shot all the squirrels so there are none to ask :thumbup:

Everyone is missing the point, if you record the sound of the tree falling that was heard because you or someone was there to hear it and of course it made a noise.

If no one seen the tree fall, who heard the noise to know it made a sound :whistling:

Google is your friend :thumbup:

I'm not the one who thought this up as I said in the first post, and like I said it was just for fun.

http://www.testingcraft.com/bug-in-forest.pdf

Google is full of books on this.

This one really puts it to a respective which is what I was getting at.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=492818

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%...make+a+noise%29

Enough said before someone nominates the tree for president =))

Edited by kirk1701

I loved topics.

What has a hazelnut in every bite.

Squirrel Shit

what Squirrel?

Remember this crazy red neck shot them all, and yes we ate them too. :thumbup:

Probably cut the tree down too!!

the old Aristotlean question.

Which basically means, are events independent or do they happen only because they are being observed? Or maybe it was the Stagyrite (showing off a bit, Aristotle was born on the island of Stagyros) verion of "What is the sound of 1 hand clapping?" A sort of logical Rohrshach test.

Minter's a got a great understanding of Relativity, Schrodinger's Cat, Quantum Physics, Heisenberg, etc. He can provide us with the formal theoretical grounding here.

I've always thought Spenser's (the fictional detective) question was better:

"If a TV's left on in a room by itself, does it make any noise?"

OK, seen this on a movie the other night and posted it on another forum also, it turned into a great debate for days :D

The question is:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a noise? :clapping:

Edited by Pain_Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.