burning process hung and now drive is undetectable

rveach

I was burning a dvd image, and the computer froze. I pretty much had to reboot. Maybe I was just running too much at once.

Anyway, now, no program can detect my cd/dvd drive, and windows doesn't show it on my computer either.

The drive light is on most of the time, and I can use the emergency eject button.

The normal eject button does not work.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the program locking the drive. Quick registry value change perhaps?

Help Please! I'd hate to talk to the retards over at dell tech support for this.

you would be better off checking ide cables, check bios to see if it's listed there, try getting bios to re detect devices.

Then see if it shows up in Windows, if not try uninstalling the IDE controller, let windows reboot and detect devices again

you should also with having to reset check all hard drives connected for errors by right clicking on drive/s in question and properties / tools/ error checking / check now and tick top box only.

just noticed you say eject button does not work, still try whats above but it does not sound too good

The program locking the drive has nothing to do with the problems you're having.

Turn the entire PC off and on again. The second it comes on, press the eject button. If you leave it too long, the drive will try to read the disc (which obviously it doesn't like doing) and then you risk it getting stuck again.

If the drive still won't open, use the manual eject pin.

Once the disc is out, turn the pc off and on once more. If windows still won't find it, ring dell and tell them your drive is faulty and you want a new one, it must have fried its own circuits.

Ahh....didn't work. Thanks for the help though.

Last time I had to talk to dell's tech support, I was on the phone with them over a period of two weeks trying to tell them that my hard drive died and needed to be replaced. It was just easier for me to go out and buy a new one than to deal with them.

I had a similar experience trying to fast forward a karaoke cd in my benq 1650, even after I shut down the computer and restarted the drive would not respond to software commands or the eject button. I shut down again and manually

removed the disk, thank goodness that fixed it. What in the heck does the drive remember between boots?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.