Dual Layer Burning (General Help)

mjcarter

Hello,

I am looking to get a better understanding of what ImgBurn can do as a program. I am putting my DVD video files onto dual layer (Fuji Film DVD+R DL) discs and want them to play in a stand alone DVD player. I have them all on my harddrive and have SUCCESSFULLY burned two movies onto these discs and they DO play in the stand alone DVD player. That was using Nero. I have no desire to compress the files (I have a projector) and due to the dual layer i shouldn't have to either.

Now i am new to this stuff and have never even owned a CD burner. Yes i jumped right into DL burners! I have read the guides on Imgburn and it will make the files into an *.ISO file. Why would I want to do this? When I use Imgburn and put this Iso file onto the disc, will it still play in stand alone DVD players? Generally confused ...

Any help would be great.

Thanks

An .ISO file is just a container for all the raw files that comprise a standard DVD disc. You simply burn this file ( ISO ) to a blank DVD and put it in your stand alone player and viola, you have a movie or whatever else these raw files contained. :) The size of these files determines whether you use a single layer or dual layer blank to burn to. Verbatims are by far the best blank media to use in either case, both for finished burn quality and longivity. :)

Imgburn in no way compresses any files at any time. :D

Thanks that was very helpful thanks!

When following the guides do I want to use this one:

#1 "Burning DVD Video files directly to double layer media with ImgBurn"

or this one?

#2 "Creating a double layer ISO on your hard drive using ImgBurn"

I imagine that if I follow option 2, then I'd have to burn them onto the DVD after they are on the HD. Guessing I should go for #1 instead. Same success with each?

Also there is mention of a MDS file and ISO file. Specifically it states "Remember to choose the MDS file when you eventually burn this ISO as it contains the layer break information." I understand the concept of having the layer break information, so does this just mean that I burn the MDS file with the ISO file onto the disc. Or what does "choose" mean?

Thanks again,

If you have a VIDEO_TS folder containing IFO/BUP/VOB files and want to burn a DVD Video disc, it really doesn't matter which guide (from those two) you look at.

It all really depends on if you want to take the quick route (#1 / on-the-fly / more risky) or the normal route (#2).

To be honest though either one would be fine. #2 is just a little more work.

If you have an existing ISO/MDS file, you use 'Write' mode. NEVER use Build mode.

Write mode will create a disc BASED on the ISO, Build mode will create a disc with the ISO just being a normal file on it (i.e. you'll be able to see the *.iso file on the burnt disc as you could when it was on your hdd).

It says 'choose' because you can't burn 2 things (images) onto 1 disc. That's not how Write mode works. An ISO file is an entire disc image, sector for sector. You select the MDS file because it contain info about the ISO that would be lost if you'd just selected the ISO directly. The MDS automatically knows the actual disc data is stored in the ISO so don't worry that the MDS is only a few KB in size.

Okay, thanks you two. That explains everything perfectly. I was struggling to find these basic explanations.

Thanks for the program Lightning UK.

I will be sure to help others in the future where I can.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.