Device not ready (Medium not present)

Tomba

I am using Pro-Show Gold to create DVD's, I was able to burn several copies yesterday. But when I checked DVD, the show titles were mixed up ???? So, I tried creating new shows and using Pro-Show to convert to a ISO file. Now I recieve a error message stating "Device not ready (Medium not ready)"! I have a Dell ES20 with Two Phillips DVD +- DVD 8881's and I am using Sony DVD +R 's , I have downloaded imgburn a second time just as a precaution. Should I be using -R's DVD's? If not what is my next step? I should mention that I am newbie ...............Thanks, Tom

What I do when that happens is open and close the tray using IsoBuster's eject/load control (sometimes takes a couple of goes to spin up the drive). Then switch back to the app that wasn't recognising a disc in the drive. Saves having to restart which was the only other way around it I found. YMMV

What I do when that happens is open and close the tray using IsoBuster's eject/load control (sometimes takes a couple of goes to spin up the drive). Then switch back to the app that wasn't recognising a disc in the drive. Saves having to restart which was the only other way around it I found. YMMV

That does the same as ImgBurn's Load and Eject buttons.

Are you doing this for reading a burnt or pressed disc? Or for the drive to recognize a blank media?

Sorry I haven't answered till now ..........Here's the log requested. The drive (G) is one of three Lacie hard drives I have, what does not support single files mean? Can you tell I'm a newbi????

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log

; Sunday, 06 May 2007, 20:44:46

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 20:43:29 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 20:43:29 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 20:43:29 Total Physical Memory: 3,142,788 KB - Available: 1,262,400 KB

W 20:43:29 Drive G:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 20:43:29 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:43:29 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:43:29 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD?RW!

I 20:44:46 Close Request Acknowledged

I 20:44:46 Closing Down...

I 20:44:46 Shutting down SPTI...

I 20:44:46 ImgBurn closed!

;

;

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log

; Sunday, 06 May 2007, 17:32:45

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 00:32:02 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 00:32:02 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 00:32:02 Total Physical Memory: 3,142,788 KB - Available: 1,813,924 KB

W 00:32:02 Drive G:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 00:32:02 Initialising SPTI...

I 00:32:02 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 00:32:02 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD?RW!

I 17:32:45 Close Request Acknowledged

I 17:32:45 Closing Down...

I 17:32:45 Shutting down SPTI...

I 17:32:45 ImgBurn closed!

;

;

you are putting the discs in the burner and not in the rom?

the warning you are getting for drive G is just info to let you know not to try to move files of over 4gb onto it, as the limit for fat32 file system is just under 4gb

you are putting the discs in the burner and not in the rom?

the warning you are getting for drive G is just info to let you know not to try to move files of over 4gb onto it, as the limit for fat32 file system is just under 4gb

I'm putting the disks in the default DVD RW drive (F:) ................

With ImgBurn in Write mode, have you tried opening/closing/waiting a few times to see if the blank media is recognized? If it is, please copy the information shown on the right side of the window and paste it here.

That does the same as ImgBurn's Load and Eject buttons.

Are you doing this for reading a burnt or pressed disc? Or for the drive to recognize a blank media?

Blank, burnt or pressed. Using ImgBurn's software control or the drive's eject button does nothing. The drive remains dead with no attempt to spin up, had tried it half-a-dozen times one day with a pressed disc then tried IsoBuster which spun straight up. That's been my experience since as well. Seems to happen most often if someone else has logged in before me and has remained logged in thanks to fast user switching.

edit: If I'm the first one to log in it rarely happens. If others are logged in it pretty much always happens. I've found though that I can use the button or ImgBurn's control; if I log out of all other users, log out myself and relogin - I'm assuming the drive gets exclusively locked by another account and IsoBuster releases this somehow without having to log out the other users.

Edited by rhy7s

spin up should be automatic as the drive will initialise the disc when it's first inserted. If it's not doing that, there's something wrong and it's not software related.

My problem was due to the optic drive on the DVD burner, since my Dell is a week or so old they schedule a tech to replace on the 17th .............Thanks to all who helped with my problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.