Double problem. Verify and Book Type

kanenas

Hello.

Hopefully somebody has some ideas on why the following occur.

System is XP SP2, 3,2Ghz, 2GB RAM, big disks.

The DVD writer is LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42L with latest firmware. It shares a channel with a Pioneer DVR-108.

The problems are with the LG.

In all cases, I'm writing DVD-R at 6 or 8x speed and DVD+R DL at 2.4x.

I've also tried different brands of discs but they all seem to be Ritek-based.

1)

I burn Region 1 movies onto DVD+R DL discs that I can only read back in the LG (the burner in this case). My laptop (with a brand-new Toshiba W-HD TS-L802A and latest firmware TF32) cannot even see the disc's directory and my standalone DVD players (Samsung HD-860 and HD-950 both updated to region-free) cannot identify it.

Since my laptop's drive seems to prefer DVD-ROM, I tried to force the LG to DVD-ROM book-type.

I set it to DVD-ROM using ImgBurn and that's what it says when I verify it later on. (Similar results when I use Nero to set it).

Nevertheless the discs burn as DVD+R DL and of course they refuse to play back.

Burning the same movie ISO with the Pioneer works fine since Pioneer forces DVD-ROM book-type by default.

What's so strange with the LG that ImgBurn cannot handle?

2) Error at the start of the Verify process (using the LG). Pressing OK, continues and finishes successfully.

Here's the log:

I 13:57:37 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 13:57:37 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 13:57:37 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,856 KB - Available: 1,207,960 KB

I 13:57:37 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:57:37 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 13:57:37 Found 1 DVD

Kanenas, This isn't a Imgburn problem, By the looks of it, your LG burner doesn't like those Ritek disks your burning to. Go get some Verbatim DL's and give the burn a shot again. Verbatim are the only discs that do a proper job of acepting a Dl burn. :thumbup:

The Pioneer drive itself controls bitsetting, the program doesn't have to do anything.

That's not the case with LG drives, but 2.3.2.0 should send the appropriate command(s) automatically.

My guess is that yours is failing to do it due to the error you're getting at the end of the burn (that's when the drive would probably do the bitsetting stuff). That is of course assuming you've not disabled that option in the settings?!

As kev said, ditch the riteks and buy some Verbatims.

Thank you for the comments.

Clearly bitsetting is the problem.

I have the option enabled but somehow it's ignored. It seems like ImgBurn doesn't send the commands that LG expects or LG is just misbehaving. Which is which is anybody's guess but I'd tend to blame LG since I get similar behaviour from Nero.

The question is, can I do anything about it?

A different brand of discs shouldn't have anything to do with the commands the drive receives. Unless bitsetting depends on the disc's surface which I doubt.

Agreed about Verbatim. I get and use them for DVD-R but I have a hard time finding DVD+R DL where I am.

Regards.

A different brand of discs shouldn't have anything to do with the commands the drive receives.

It doesn't but Ritek media and pretty much all DL media except for Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are garbage. By ditching the crappy disks you'll fix 99% of the problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.