VOB file too large

taken_aback

Hello,

When in build mode I am trying to build a double layer image when I press the calculator button, I am asked if I would prefer ISO9660 + UDF and am then told that the VOB file is large than the ISO9660 limit. So not able to create an image.

Any advice?

Michael

You have a 4GB VOB file?!

You might like to look into what you're doing a bit more. Clearly you're not quite there yet.

Hmmm...ok, I think I need to provide some more information on what has happened to lead to this scenario.

I used DVD Decryptor in File mode to extract the files from the DVD into the Video_TS folder. DVD Decryptor created all the files

including a file named VTS_01_1.VOB which is 7,744,010KB in size. This is the file that ImgBurn doesn't like.

Furthermore, I am a little worried about using just UDF as ImgBurn keeps prompting me to use ISO9660+UDF if this is to be a DVD video. What would happen if I just use UDF?

Thanks for your assistance in advance. I'm sorry if I come across as a dummie; just a newbie. One day I can be just like you.....;-)

Michael

ImgBurn is fine, let it do what it thinks best. DVD Video uses 'ISO9600 + UDF' - period!

You should not have a VOB file any larger than 1GB (- 2KB) in size. If you have, you've messed up some options somewhere in whatever created it.

So basically, you have a 'source files' issue here, not a burning one.

Until it's a burning one, this isn't the place for you to be asking questions (because we can't / won't answer them) - Sorry!

Strictly speaking, a standalone player only uses what is called the micro UDF filesystem (a slim version of UDF 1.02). ISO9660 is used for backwards compatibility on older PCs. But it is on all DVDs - just that it doesn't have to be.

In fact, a DVD will work perfectly well with only a Micro-UDF FS and only VIDEO_TS.IFO on it. Of course, the other files need to be there - they just don't need to be referenced in the FS - only VIDEO_TS.IFO

Regards

'Micro UDF' ?! Never heard of it! Makes sense though I guess as that's were all the pointers come in.

Going by the MMC specs, standalone DVD players do indeed only need to be able to parse UDF. The others are optional.

Even though logically, the VOBs are accessed as if they were 1 large file (you can't have gaps between them), single, large VOBs should not be used.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.