Stuck on writing Leanln

DocSavage

Good for you. Now post a log so we can see what's going on.

Regards

Les,

Thanks for your reply. This morning I tried the burn again with the same results. It stops a few seconds in, at the point of writing lead in. When it hangs up, I have to force ImgBurn to close & it does not record to the log file. If it is helpful, I can post the log of a previous session that shut down normally. In that previous session, ImgBurn could not erase an old CD-RW. That did not cause me distress. Nero would not erase it either.

dk

For log files, look in the 'Help' menu within the ImgBurn application.

Terminating imgburn forcefully doesn't normally solve any issues. If the drive has got stuck doing something then it's not ImgBurn that's hanging, it's the entire I/O system. ImgBurn is simply waiting for a responce to a command it issued to the drive. When it gets one it'll carry on as normal.

You might be able to fix this issue by updating the firmware on the drive or by switching to some decent media that the drive doesn't have a problem with.

For log files, look in the 'Help' menu within the ImgBurn application.

Terminating imgburn forcefully doesn't normally solve any issues. If the drive has got stuck doing something then it's not ImgBurn that's hanging, it's the entire I/O system. ImgBurn is simply waiting for a responce to a command it issued to the drive. When it gets one it'll carry on as normal.

You might be able to fix this issue by updating the firmware on the drive or by switching to some decent media that the drive doesn't have a problem with.

Thanks,

Firmware for the drive is current. When I am out today I will pick up new disks. I was trying to burn something late in the evening, scrounging around for a disk to use. The one that hung up was a Maxell CD-R 700MB. This is the log from the last time ImgBurn shut down normally. I see here an entry refering to the partition I use for Virtual Memory not supporting single files>4 gig. Could this limitation have something to do with me not being able to burn this large ISO?

I 19:29:07 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 19:29:07 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 19:29:07 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,620 KB - Available: 1,477,360 KB

W 19:29:07 Drive V:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 19:29:07 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:29:07 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:29:07 Found 1 DVD±RW!

I 19:30:38 Operation Started!

I 19:30:38 Device: [2:0:0] TDK DVDRW0404N 1.0C (T:) (SCSI)

I 19:30:38 Media Type: CD-RW (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 10x, 16x)

I 19:30:38 Quick Erase: Yes

I 19:30:38 Erasing Disc...

E 19:30:52 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:13

I 19:31:16 Operation Started!

I 19:31:16 Device: [2:0:0] TDK DVDRW0404N 1.0C (T:) (SCSI)

I 19:31:16 Media Type: CD-RW (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 10x, 16x)

I 19:31:16 Quick Erase: No

I 19:31:16 Erasing Disc...

E 19:31:25 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:09

I 19:32:26 Close Request Acknowledged

I 19:32:26 Closing Down...

I 19:32:26 Shutting down SPTI...

I 19:32:26 ImgBurn closed!

Blimey, that drive is about a thousand years old. Rather than keep buying new discs you might like to think about replacing the drive instead.

When it says erase has failed, are you presented with any sort of error box before hand? It's strange that it would error out and not actually log an error message!

Blimey, that drive is about a thousand years old. Rather than keep buying new discs you might like to think about replacing the drive instead.

When it says erase has failed, are you presented with any sort of error box before hand? It's strange that it would error out and not actually log an error message!

Yes, there was an error message. I can't quote it right now from memory. I had it set for quick erase & the message box said it could not erase the medium. I "OK'ed" it & selected full erase & it refused that too. It was not a surprise, I was trying to use an old CD-RW. I think I had a Slipstreamed Win2K on it. It made me search around for a better alternative.

The drive has been a workhorse for me for several years. It has updated firmware. Yesterday is the first time there has been a failure that might have related to the drive itself. I will try a couple of other projects on it, but I probably will keep it untill it completely fails to do the light duty work here at home. I have another system with a recently purchased, external, LiteOn Lightscribe DVD drive.

dk

Your updated firmware is over three years old....you can struggle with it if you like though.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1596

Oh. That long? Oh, well. Though, if I understand the page link you gave me (thanks, I am a novice at this stuff), I have flashed with the most recent firmware available.

So, If I understand everyone correctly, my easiest next troubleshooting step is to just replace the drive & try again.

OK.

I will post again in a couple of days & let you know the result.

dk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.