Optimum burning speeds

ustishrike

Can ImgBurn detect the optimum write speed for specific media? If not, can anyone recommend the best speeds for my media? I usually use TY +Rs (8X or 16X) or Verbatim +Rs (16X) and Verbatim +DLs (2.4X but they claim to be compatible to 6X). I have a Plextor PX-800A and I have been burning everything at 4X (including the DLs). Is this too slow for the 16X media? I am striving for the best quality and longevity.

Edited by ustishrike

8x is fine on TYGO2, for TYG03 I guess you should use 8x, 12x (16x is probably still ok though).

For the MCC dye 16x Verbatims, again, 8x or 12x (16x is probably still ok though).

As for the Verbatim DL's (MKM-001-00), normally 2.4x is what I'd recommend but my Samsung S203B gives a much better burn at 4x than it does at 2.4x.

I guess what you need to do is burn a few 'dummy' discs (i.e. in discovery mode) at the different speeds and then scan them (using CD-DVD Speed etc) to get the PI/PO error levels.

Every drive is different so you need to figure out what yours likes best. Of course don't forget to update the firmware on the drive too.

8x is fine on TYGO2, for TYG03 I guess you should use 8x, 12x (16x is probably still ok though).

For the MCC dye 16x Verbatims, again, 8x or 12x (16x is probably still ok though).

As for the Verbatim DL's (MKM-001-00), normally 2.4x is what I'd recommend but my Samsung S203B gives a much better burn at 4x than it does at 2.4x.

I guess what you need to do is burn a few 'dummy' discs (i.e. in discovery mode) at the different speeds and then scan them (using CD-DVD Speed etc) to get the PI/PO error levels.

Every drive is different so you need to figure out what yours likes best. Of course don't forget to update the firmware on the drive too.

Thank you! So slower speeds will not necessarily give me longevity or better quality?

Not really these days, no.

There's a limit (lower limit) beyond which you'll see no benefit and perhaps even start getting lower quality burns as the speeds won't be so finely tuned in the firmware. I would say this is particularly true with newer drives that are all about 'speed'!

I noticed there were no verbatim dl burns in the "drives and media" subforum by an optiarc?

surprisingly the 7173A did quite well at 12x with premium media

note, the plex 800 is an nec/optiarc 7170A

Yes, I realized it was a re-badge only after I purchased it. What do you think of the drive, chewy? I thought I noticed somewhere that you also use one. I had had my heart set on a true Plextor as I have always wanted to try one (I've been an exclusive Lite-On user up until now).

I got lucky and got a great nec 3550, except for the layer of scum that collected crud on the laser lens, which i cleaned,

your drive is far better at 12x burns than mine, at 12x and 16x mine had major issues.

At 8X when new it burned some of my best burns ever, of course I had some tyg02, yuden t02 and mcc 004 that were better than you'll see today

I was so disappointed with poor firmware support and the plex 708 and 712 I never used a 716 or later drives, my nec's or benq's or LG did as well for less than half the money

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.