Writer OK, but stops randomly and produces coasters!

Jay_T

Hi,

I use a pioneer 111 for years. It worked in my old system and it does in my new one (only with nero).

With IMGBurn it freezes.

Could it have to do with the SCSI-recognition in my sys-management or is that OK?

http://www.abload.de/img/unbenanntyho.jpg

BTW: I use a Gigabyte P35-DS3 if that matters.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thx in advance!

You've got it on what's probably a jmicron controller (as the ICH9 doesn't have a real IDE port anymore).

So have you tried updating the bios on the motherboard (which then updates the jmicron bios I expect - if not do that manually too) ?

You should also try the latest jmicron driver for within windows.

Of course the bios on the 111 should be kept up-to-date too.

It helps if you can post a log from ImgBurn of where it's failing - a screenshot too or something.

You've got it on what's probably a jmicron controller (as the ICH9 doesn't have a real IDE port anymore).

So have you tried updating the bios on the motherboard (which then updates the jmicron bios I expect - if not do that manually too) ?

You should also try the latest jmicron driver for within windows.

Of course the bios on the 111 should be kept up-to-date too.

It helps if you can post a log from ImgBurn of where it's failing - a screenshot too or something.

Thanks for your help.

The drive was recognized as IDE in my old PC, so it should not be the firmware. I rather not change a running drive, since it gives me great results with verbatim and the current FW.

Regarding the driver: I installed the MoBo drivers, but I'll look for a newer JMicron version.

Unfortunately IMGBurn freezes so hard that I could not see a log :(

Nero runs fine, strange!

Pioneer produce firmware updates to file a whole host of problems. You should just be updating the drive's firmware just as you update any other software - it's all the same thing. The latest is v1.22.

The motherboard bios updates are also important - especially if they update the jmicron controller bios too. They don't work at the best of times.

I've not seem ImgBurn freeze during a burn to the point where you can't do anything with it. All the I/O is in it's own thread so even if your drivers stop accepting commands, the GUI will still respond until you try and kill it via some forceful method.

Keep an eye on the log window and on the status bar because that's where it says what it's doing at any given point in time. That info is vital to trying to locate/fix any potential issues.

Pioneer produce firmware updates to file a whole host of problems. You should just be updating the drive's firmware just as you update any other software - it's all the same thing. The latest is v1.22.

The motherboard bios updates are also important - especially if they update the jmicron controller bios too. They don't work at the best of times.

I've not seem ImgBurn freeze during a burn to the point where you can't do anything with it. All the I/O is in it's own thread so even if your drivers stop accepting commands, the GUI will still respond until you try and kill it via some forceful method.

Keep an eye on the log window and on the status bar because that's where it says what it's doing at any given point in time. That info is vital to trying to locate/fix any potential issues.

well, 1.22 is the latest for my writer? I already had 1.23 when I bought it. Are you sure? ---> I'll have a look at the changelog to see if it could fix my problem.

bios? same thing here... it runs smooth and I have no problems, so I fear to update. ---> I'll have a look at the changelog to see if it could fix my problem.

ImgBurn just froze. the GUI was not responding and the log did not say anything. the drive just kept spinning (but not writing) :(

L_UK must have read that you had a pioneer 112 Which 1.22 is the latest firmware for that model

He is right about everything else he typed though and you should act upon the advice given.

for your pioneer 111 There is firmware 1.29

I got the latest bios update and upgrades the firmware to improve writing (1.29).

IMGBurn still produced another coaster. nero doesn't.

very strange. I have no explanation since the system does every stress test without complaining and the temperatures are great!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.