Subtitles won't show on re-burn

fdias

Hi,

I have searched the forums and could not find a similar problem.

If I burn a video (AVI) + srt file on a DVD-RW it works fine (the subtitle shows correctly), but if I re-burn that same DVD-RW (burn without erasing the disc first) it displays the xvid properly, but without the subtitles.

Any idea why this happens? I understand there is no multisession support, but I thought I could re-burn a DVD-RW using its free space without having to erase it every time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you sure it's a DVD-RW disc and not a DVD+RW? I'm asking because DVD+RW can be overwritten (i.e. no need to erase before burning), but DVD-RW can't do that and needs a Quick Erase before burning to them (ImgBurn asks you about this and does it automatically).

Anyway, where the subtitles aren't being displayed? On the computer or a standalone player? Which filesystem(s) are you using?

Are you sure it's a DVD-RW disc and not a DVD+RW? I'm asking because DVD+RW can be overwritten (i.e. no need to erase before burning), but DVD-RW can't do that and needs a Quick Erase before burning to them (ImgBurn asks you about this and does it automatically).

Anyway, where the subtitles aren't being displayed? On the computer or a standalone player? Which filesystem(s) are you using?

I stand corrected, it was indeed a DVD+RW. The subtitles aren't displayed on my standalone DVD player, and I just found a pattern. It seems that if the filename (both srt and avi) is over 53 chars then it truncateds its name and won't show the subtitle. It did work on my PC, so I guess it's a problem with my standalone not ImgBurn.

Anyway, somehow Nero handles it differently, because when I burn those same files in Nero the sub appears even on my standalone.

Thanks for your help though, I guess I will start renaming long filenames.

Have you tried different filesystems? ISO9660 + Joliet limit the filenames to 64 characters (can be increased to up to 110 characters if you change the level in Advanced/Restrictions), or maybe try ISO9660 + UDF if your player supports it.

Have you tried different filesystems? ISO9660 + Joliet limit the filenames to 64 characters (can be increased to up to 110 characters if you change the level in Advanced/Restrictions), or maybe try ISO9660 + UDF if your player supports it.

That did the trick, I used ISO9660+Joliet and it worked!

Thanks mmalves and LUK for your help, ImgBurn rocks!

Small question: Can I bypass the warnings before I burn? So the program won't ask if I want the default CD/DVD name or confirm the files that are gonna be burned.

Thanks again guys and congrats on this most helpful community!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.