OK to select the "average" layer break?

dax702

In creating my DL DVD, in the create layer break position screen, it's coming up with one yellow star (good) which occurs during dialog. The one below that is marked as average, but it happens during a fade to black. Also, the one marked as good says No under the SPLIP column, and all the others are marked yes. Another thing I should mention is that under the LBA column, the average one I was interested in using has only one number, 2072400 while the others have a -> followed by another number. Based on the info I provided, is it ok to use this "average" layer break instead of the one marked as "good?"

Thanks!

I've added a screenshot of the layer break position screen with the option highlighted that I would like to use, unless you see anything wrong with it?

post-7596-1207725632_thumb.jpg

Edited by dax702

It's seems odd that the Non seamless (Good) one would be worse than the one after it (Average).

I'd have expected the Good one to be the original LB position.

Are you looking at it in the previewer correctly? It shows 2 cells, the LB will be between the two. So you basically scroll to the end of the first cell and watch as the Cell number flicks over to the second cell.

Yep, watching it correctly. The spot for the layer break that seems better is at the end of the chapter where the scene fades to black, whereas the one marked as good is during a talking head monologue.... I don't want to enable the seamless option because this DVD will be played by many people on many players...

Here's a screen shot I took on the LB position that is highlighted in the previous screenshot. The screenshot was taken jussssst before the cell changes from 62 to 63:

post-7596-1207758239_thumb.jpg

And the layer break actually happens when the screen is black. So my question to you is if it's OK to use an average LB position, or should I stick with the one marked as good for other reasons?

Edited by dax702

The only reason the 'Good' one is marked as 'Good' is because of the SPLIP flag being set to false. Without it, it's 'Average' too.

So basically, if the next available position looks better to you in the previewer, use it :)

That said, the screenshot looks like it's fading out there - it would be more of a problem in the middle of a fast action scene!

What is the SPLIP thing? What I really want here is the setting that will allow for maximum compatibility. If I should use the one with the SPLIP set to no for compatibility reasons, I'd choose that over what LOOKS pleasing on the DVD...

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue as Dax. Thanks for posting which I was going to but for a difficulty to register.

Anyway if I may join your post, here is my scrrenshot

capture492008100305ammd3.jpg

I previewed all the positions. The one marked as good is right in the middle of a scene whereas the highlighted one has a transition to a different scene form one cell to the other. So is it safe to use this one?

What does SPLIP mean?

How do you know whether your player or drive is accepts seamless?

SPLIP is Seamless Playback Linked in PCI.

It's a flag in the IFO files that's commonly associated with the layer break position.

Typically, the cell just after the layerbreak is marked as non-seamless (so SPLIP = No).

If you select a cell that's marked as SPLIP = Yes, the program will change that cell's flag to 'No' (unless you also have the 'Seamless' option enabled).

All the options provided are 'safe', the ones with better ratings are just good starting points if you're going to preview all of them - leave the 'average' ones until last.

To find out if your player supports the seamless option or not, you just have to burn a disc and try it!

OK, I'm going to select the "average" one right below the one marked as good since it looks better for the viewer and since it doesn't appear to be a problem to do so, thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.