Cue Sheet Creation Tweaks

weisborg

Made my first Audio CD with ImgBurn yesterday. Pretty good options...plus my 24 songs using all but the last 30sec of CD actually worked where the same files burned with Nero had a bad Track 24.

A couple things I noticed were- The CD Text is available on everything including Disc and Session, but only saves in Disc and Track. Pre-Gap is also available with Session, but not saved. When I first saw this I was thinking setting the Pre-Gap at session level made that the default for all Tracks...which would be nice, perhaps shortening seconds to sec or something and adding a Default Option Button which is selected by default on all and uses the Session Gap. Multi-Selection of tracks would be nice too which would allow things like setting a whole selection's Pre-Gap or CD Text where things like Artist/Performer would be the same.

When burning the Cue the screen also says that the Label will be the text that is assigned to the CD Text of the Disc, but mine was "Unknown"...come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a Volume Label on Audio CDs. I'll have to check out the disc somehow to see if the CD Text got saved since my car didn't show it and I thought it would since it shows MP3/WMA CD Text.

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose for adding multiple sessions. On Audio CDs I could see adding another session for data files for a hybrid disc, but other than that I've only used sessions in multi-session discs that before finalizing allowed me to add more files, etc. But, since right now there is no editing an existing I'm guessing that is for the future...but I may be missing another reason for other sessions.

All together though I got a working Audio CD and even with missing speed-ups it got done quicker than Nero.

Edited by weisborg

The session level options DO modify all the tracks.

That screen is not just for audio, its for creating CUE files in general. That's where the option to add sessions comes in.

Of course the 'Label' stuff displayed in the GUI is totally made up for Audio CD's.

When available, I base it on the disc's CD-TEXT info (that's at Disc level, not from the Tracks). Otherwise it'll display the default 'Unknown' text.

The session level options DO modify all the tracks.

That screen is not just for audio, its for creating CUE files in general. That's where the option to add sessions comes in.

Of course the 'Label' stuff displayed in the GUI is totally made up for Audio CD's.

When available, I base it on the disc's CD-TEXT info (that's at Disc level, not from the Tracks). Otherwise it'll display the default 'Unknown' text.

Ok, I see this now. Text is copied to all, but the Pre-Gap seems to miss the first track (I guess I can live with that since it does all the rest...unless it is easy enough for a "Silent Update"). I was making the setting then clicking the first track and didn't see anything, so thought it did nothing. The Text works on all tracks though, so that is a big plus for my next project.

So, how do we make use of the CUE files for other things? Or is it only Audio as it is right now?

I did notice the "Label" text seemed to grab the main disc text or the first track, so figured it was just made up and used to help identify it.

Edited by weisborg

The pregap for the first track isn't added on purpose... why would you ever want an additional one at the very start of the disc? There's already the fixed 2 second one.

Gaps go between the tracks, and being the first one, it wouldn't really be right to add the same pregap to it that all the others have.

You can make date + audio discs with the 'Create CD CUE File' window, or even audio + data (as in CD-Extra) with it - but that isn't the easiest thing in the world!

I use it a lot when testing other functions within ImgBurn. It allows me to make discs that are totally random in the hope that the Read/Write modes can cope with them!

Ok...wasn't aware there was the default/fixed 2sec gap at the start. I'm not seeing it though. My different players all see Pre-Gap different though. On my PC it seems to add the 2sec onto the end of the songs making them appear 2sec longer than they are. My Car and Portable CD Players all show them as negative time right before the next song (It counts down like -2, -1, 0...at which point the track plays) [sometimes it counts down from 3 though, so it may not be an exact frame count or something].

Looping or Random Play would be about the only areas where it would apply. I usually run all the Wave files for my audio through a Wave Editor to trim all silence off and normalize/max volume without distortion all songs. So, without gaps they can play continuous if I wanted, or it could create undesired effects without all Pre Gaps. Now, this default Pre-Gap, your reply seems to imply that it is there and any additional would make it more...so, on my last project I had a 2 sec Gap on the first track, so should have at least 2 if not 4 sec of Gap right? When played in my car where it would count down on Gap I have no countdown/delay on playback. When it loops it sets at Track 1 0:00 for 1-2sec (Most likely while the laser moves back to the start), but that is all the delay there is.

Edited by weisborg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.