power calibration area error NEC 2510

iancalderbank

after reading this forum I've upgraded to (what I think is) the latest firmware for my burner, and latest imgburn.

I can't get anywhere burning +R DL discs (This is my first attempt ever to burn a DL disc).

I can burn single layer discs no problem at all.

media are philips branded dvd+r DL bought in UK retail store (PC world)

any clues?

Ian

default settings:

I 10:00:00 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 10:00:00 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 10:00:00 Total Physical Memory: 2,094,844 KB - Available: 1,277,152 KB

I 10:00:01 Initialising SPTI...

I 10:00:01 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 10:00:01 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD

I 10:09:27 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 10:09:27 Write Speed: 1x

Verbatim and Verbatim only for DL burning....and you can't choose 1X with this media, it will still burn at 2.4X given your drive and firmware.

Welcome to the forum BTW

There's no way in hell that drive has a proper write strategy for those discs. They're quite new and the drive is ancient.

so are you saying trying anything DL with this drive is a waste of time, go buy a new drive (have had it a few years as you say)? (in that case - recommendations ? Sata or Ide I don't mind)

it does say DL on it though..... or that I should get some different blanks that will work with this drive?

(just tried again at 2.4x - same error)

Ian

Get some Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore - that's the only DL discs we recommend. They've been around for a while and the drive will most likely have a write strategy for them.

Regards

Do get some verbatim's but you should consider replacing that NEC with a modern writer.

Pioneer 115, some of the latest Liteon's or Samsung.

I would go for an IDE drive personally

Thanks all. I just bought some verb MKM01's, and a pioneer 115 as well (For the cost of 15 blanks, didn't seem worth messing with the old burner).

upgraded to latest firmware, then first burn of a DVD+R DL with the new combo worked flawlessly...plays on all my standalone kit. Now I can backup my son's dvds for taking on holiday, whilst removing the annoying trailers...

cheers,

Ian

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.