Super slow DVD burn issue solved

fredo

Burning DVDs always took forever on my system. The latest one took 7 hours to burn and verify, clocking in at an impressive x0.3 average speed. In the course of a single burn I would get about 100 of these messages:

Waiting for buffers to recover...

Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...

I have a new T61 so hardware can't be the issue. My system buffer is set at the max 256 MB. I tried everything I could think of, nothing doing. Then it dawned on me that my VIDEO_TS folder was located on a network drive. I copied it to my local C: drive (time: 3 hrs and 5 mn), tried again and voila, the next double layer DVD took but a mere 40 minutes to burn and verify.

I thought I'd share this misadventure, at the risk of passing myself off as an idiot

Your network must be very busy because 0.3x average is too low even for a 10 mbits network, which, by the way, isn't enough for a 1.0x burn. Maybe it's time for a new, bigger HD? ;)

It's a 100 Mb home network that is not very busy at all. I access it through 54 Mb wireless but still. Something's amiss but I'm too lazy to figure out what. Could be an AV issue.

It could be an OS issue. Windows XP (Vista?) limits the amount of open sockets (connections) to 10. My laptop drove me nuts until I opened up a few more. You can use the hack below to increase the amount of open sockets. ***DO NOT*** go over 50. Use it at your own risk. Technically, it shouldn't make a difference but....

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having the same issue but with not quite so long burn times. Usually takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, but with the long ones it's always the buffers issue, "waiting for buffers to recover" "waiting for hard drive activity to reach threshold level" or whatever. Sometimes it only happens once or sometimes every coupla minutes. Does that thing in the post from shamus mcfartfinger really work for this?

Edited by hashysh13

The socket limit is a security thing (only allow 10 to be opened per second or something) and shouldn't actually slow down normal network file transfer speeds.

You can test your network speed by copying something like a 1 - 4GB image over from another PC and keeping an eye on the transfer speed via a program like 'DU Meter'.

A 100mbit network will get you ~ 11MB/s which is just about enough for 8x burning (if that!).

As far as I can tell one would need some sort of degree in computers before even thinking of dealing with "sockets", and I ain't got one. There's waaaaaay too much reading involved, I just want my burns that should take a few minutes to not take 3 to 5 times that. Is there not something easier to do to stop the buffers from quitting every minute? I can post the log of my last burn if it'll help, but I gotta do something, this is ridiculous, and I'm far too poor to call geek patrol or whatever they're called. It's $120 just to get them to your house. I need a computer genius that'll work for, well, not money.

I just noticed that LIGHTNING UK! is the author of ImgBurn. I have to say that I love this program, aside from these recent difficulties, and I'm sure it's got nothing to do with ImgBurn itself. I do have some other questions about it, but I'll save 'em for another time. I really just wanna solve this buffer thing, it's getting frustrating.

:wacko::blink::'( :angry:

Here's the log for my last burn. It should've taken 4 minutes and ended up taking 15.

I 20:54:04 Write Mode: DVD

I 20:54:04 Write Type: DAO

I 20:54:04 Write Speed: 4x

I 20:54:04 Link Size: Auto

I 20:54:04 Test Mode: No

I 20:54:04 OPC: No

I 20:54:04 BURN-Proof: Enabled

W 20:54:12 DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed! - Reason: Access is denied.

W 20:54:13 DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_DISMOUNT_VOLUME) Failed! - Reason: Access is denied.

I 20:54:15 Filling Buffer... (111 MB)

I 20:54:18 Writing LeadIn...

I 20:54:50 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 885407)

I 20:54:50 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 885407)

W 20:56:43 Waiting for buffers to recover...

W 20:56:54 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...

I 20:57:06 Writing Sectors...

W 20:59:11 Waiting for buffers to recover...

W 21:00:36 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...

I 21:01:03 Writing Sectors...

W 21:01:50 Waiting for buffers to recover...

W 21:03:32 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...

I 21:05:49 Writing Sectors...

W 21:06:36 Waiting for buffers to recover...

W 21:07:08 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...

I 21:07:23 Writing Sectors...

I 21:08:00 Synchronising Cache...

I 21:08:18 Image MD5: 0cf2533b77261f7016768cf418a2ba6f

I 21:08:18 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:14:13

I 21:08:18 Average Write Rate: 2,241 KB/s (1.6x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,879 KB/s (4.2x)

Edited by hashysh13

It would only take 2 minutes for you to install 'DU Meter' and start to copy a large (1GB or more ) file over the network to get an idea of how fast it can go.

http://www.dumeter.com/

You gotta understand that when it comes to these things, I'm a complete moron. I'm sure I could install DU Meter fine, but what the hell do you mean by start to copy a large file over the network? I know, I'm clueless.

DU Meter installed, showing between 2.4 and 4.1 mbps in red and 1.1 mbps in green. That's with me doing nothing except seeding a few torrents, if that has anything to do with it at all, I haven't a clue.

Ok, copying a 1-4 GB image from another computer. Need more detail on what exactly you mean there. You mean download something? Sorry for all the edits and my massive ignorance.

Edited by hashysh13

You must have 2 machines (or more) or you wouldn't have a network at all - right?

So make an image of a disc on 1 machine and then (via drag + drop), copy it to the other one.

I don't know how to dumb it down any more than that, sorry! Copying a file is a pretty simple process.

EDIT: Thinking about it, you totally hijacked this thread so maybe your problem is totally unrelated to network issues.

In which case your problem might be down to a DMA configuration issue - Read the FAQ and uninstall your IDE controller + reboot like it tells you to.

You must have 2 machines (or more) or you wouldn't have a network at all - right?

So make an image of a disc on 1 machine and then (via drag + drop), copy it to the other one.

I don't know how to dumb it down any more than that, sorry! Copying a file is a pretty simple process.

EDIT: Thinking about it, you totally hijacked this thread so maybe your problem is totally unrelated to network issues.

In which case your problem might be down to a DMA configuration issue - Read the FAQ and uninstall your IDE controller + reboot like it tells you to.

Nope, only one computer in the house. I don't know exactly how I hijacked this thread, but sorry. It said super slow burn issue solved, and it was the first thread that appeared when I typed buffers into the search box.

Not sure what you mean in the last line, but is there a particular place in FAQ to look, threadwise? These things usually have a ton of text to read before you ever get to the issue that pertains to you, and I really, really hate reading unnecessarily. DMA configuration issue? IDE controller? Remember, talking to an idiot here.

This isn't your thread, therefore by posting in it with anything other than help for the owner is hijacking.

The FAQ is a single thread with about 20 odd posts. Just find the one where it mentions slow burning in the 'problem' bit at the top of the post.

If you avoid reading stuff you'll stay an idiot. (Your words, not mine!)

Yeah, ok, I see what you mean now. I shoulda started my own thread. And yes, If I read nothing I would stay an idiot, no doubt. I just hate reading a ton of dry techie jargon that I don't even begin to understand. What I need is someone who knows about these damn things who can come by and help me out, but 'til that day I'm on my own, unfortunately.

My apologies to the thread starter.

but 'til that day I'm on my own, unfortunately.

What nonsense...

We're here to help you to help yourself. The Boss maintains this site and his program, both free to the public while only asking for donations, in order to make your experience with ImgBurn both non-complicated and basically enjoyable, when compared to the many seriously overpriced and bloated programs available. All that he, or any of us ask, is that you take the time to read the guides and FAQ's and learn a little on your own. The Guides and FAQ's were deliberately written to be as close to non-techie as they can be.

Take the time, read the material and start your own thread if you still have problems please.... :unsure:

but 'til that day I'm on my own, unfortunately.

What nonsense...

We're here to help you to help yourself. The Boss maintains this site and his program, both free to the public while only asking for donations, in order to make your experience with ImgBurn both non-complicated and basically enjoyable, when compared to the many seriously overpriced and bloated programs available. All that he, or any of us ask, is that you take the time to read the guides and FAQ's and learn a little on your own. The Guides and FAQ's were deliberately written to be as close to non-techie as they can be.

Take the time, read the material and start your own thread if you still have problems please.... :unsure:

You completely misunderstood what I meant by being on my own here, I meant just me and whatever advice I can glean from forums like this one. As for the guides and FAQ being non-techie as they can be, well I must be dumber than I thought because it looked to me like a ton of reading pertaining to a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't even begin to use this program for.

Before I start my own thread, so as not to upset anyone further, here's the log from my latest attempt. It's still at 79% and the wait for threshold level can be up to 30 min. I'm ready to set my computer on fire and go back to vhs.

I 21:35:23 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 21:35:23 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 21:35:23 Total Physical Memory: 981,484 KB - Available: 59,948 KB

W 21:35:23 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 21:35:35 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:35:35 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:35:36 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Have you actually done anything to try and fix the issue yet?

To bring up device manager you just right click 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. Then switch to the 'Hardware' tab and you'll see a 'Device Manager' button.

Post number 2 in the FAQ (and you were complaining about having to read a lot?!) is the one you need to read.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=&...dpost&p=967

Just look at the bit under the huge purple 'Important' text - you'll notice a screenshot giving you a clue as to what you need to do.

Simply expand the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers' branch and then right click + 'Uninstall' the entries that have the word 'Controller' in them. When you uninstall them they'll take the 'Channel' entries with them - that's what is supposed to happen, don't worry.

Reboot when you're done and hopefully the speed problems will have been fixed.

btw,

I 21:35:23 Total Physical Memory: 981,484 KB - Available: 59,948 KB

Why do you have so little free memory? Do you have a lot of programs open?

The machine must be running like a complete dog if that's how it always is.

Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it and I'm sorry it's so difficult with me. About the memory thing, I can't imagine why, other than having alot of stuff downloading/uploading at the time of that burn. But this thing is running terribly at the moment, so I don't know, the only running programs are usually MSN messenger, BitTornado or BitSpirit(sometimes both), and Norton. BitTornado opens a new window for every torrent, so when I have a few going maybe that's eating memory?

Latest burns taking anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes, and available memory was 206,500. I'm gonna go and try your suggested fix now. Again I appreciate the assistance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.