Optiarc 7173S 1-03 L&D firmware

JaySea

I have the Optiarc 7173S burner. The permanent bitsettings are like they are set with the booktype settings from the tool of Liggy and Dee. Though in imgburn you have temporary settings which are set to different settings and are not changable.

At this moment when I try to burn a DVD+R it will set the booktype to HD-DVD-RW which is not correct nor is there any way I can change the active booktype to the permanent one.

Can anyone help me what to do or is this just a bug in imgburn and I will have to wait for a next release to be able to burn correctly with my drive.

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173S 1-03 (Fibre)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2.295.104

Free Space: 4.700.372.992 bytes

Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2,4x; 4x; 6x; 8x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: RITEK-R03-02

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196.608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2.491.711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: RITEK-R03-02

Book Type: HD DVD-RW

Part Version: 14

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196.608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2.491.711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Edited by JaySea

Hi and welcome to the forum, JaySea! :)

I installed a bit setting firmware from Liggy and Dee, but never touched the settings in ImgBurn for the book type. If you have the setting 'Automatically change book type' in the Write tab enabled, then ImgBurn applies the bit setting by default.

:)

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173S 1-03 (Fibre)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

The booktype is recorded to the media after you burn it, and I don't think a DVD+R(W) can be booktyped to anything else than DVD+R(W) or DVD-ROM.

What it seems is that your SATA controller's driver (or even the controller itself) is messing with the communication to the burner, so make sure you're using the latest drivers available for your SATA controller. Look at the controller's manufacturer website too, not just your motherboard's website :)

I really wouldn't recommend to use the latest SATA drivers, especially if it's a board with nVidia chipset. The best possible driver to use wit ImgBurn is the default driver from Microsoft, using anything else is just asking for troubles. And ImgBurn especially hates the new AHCI drivers (9.x and newer) from nVidia, on my system it completely breaks (failed burns, bad burn quality, sense errors etc., but Nero still works fine and when I tried cdrecord, it worked as well and it was a pretty old version).

It's not ImgBurn hating them, it's them hating ImgBurn!

I'm not aware of a single command the program could ever send that causes them to mess up every time without fail... if there was then I'd try to work around it.

All that's happening is ImgBurn is triggering some flaw in them... think of it as I/O stress testing ;)

Thank you for the replies. Though I am still not able to find the problem. I do agree there is something wrong in the SATA settings for the drive. However when I look at the permanent bitsettings they are all correct. It is the temporary that seem messed up. The problem is that I cannot change from temporary to permanent. It just says it is changed but it still has the same active values.

Edited by JaySea

As the ADIP and Last Recorded structures should be identical for blank media, I'm not really sure why your system is feeding garbage to ImgBurn.

Have you figured out why the system is reporting that the drive is connected via Fibre rather than ATA/AHCI etc yet?

Ignore the disc info in the panel on the right, the bitsetting dialog itself will tell you what the drive thinks it should do when it burns a disc.

I didn't know that fibre should not be the case. All I know is that it is not attached to IDE but through SATA. What should it say then?

Furthermore it shows that I am burning with booktype HD DVD-RAM when I start recording. After having recorded a disc it shows that it has burned HD DVD-RW on the last recorded.

Edited by JaySea

Normally SATA drives will show up as ATA, AHCI, SCSI or RAID (RAID being the worst one for it to be on).

I'd don't recall ever seeing a computer report 'Fibre' before so something isn't right with your setup.

Book Type: HD DVD-RW

Part Version: 14

That whole thing is wrong. You might be getting corruption on the entire structure, it's hard to say without looking at the exact response data.

What I'd probably do now is put the drive in another machine and see if it does the same thing.

Can I assume that if you flash the drive with the official firmware you have the exact same problem of the 'Last Recorded' info showing as HD DVD-RW or whatever? (you need to rule out the patched firmware).

I do have nvidia sata drivers and tried to go to normal MS drivers but all it got me were BSOD at start up.

I think the fibre is something the sata drivers come up with.

I have done a search on fibre on the forums and I have seen a few others having the same report.

Tried the original non-patched firmware now. I do have fail read on the temporary bitsettings and dvd-rom on the 3 on permanent. Also the permanent are the active settings now :D

What is weird is that the drive states that the bitsetting for dvd+r is dvd-rom, because the original firmware should not support this.

I will keep you posted about what happens to burns and quality etc.

Edited by JaySea

If you cannot switch to Microsoft drivers (you activate RAID mode in your BIOS?), you can try installing VitualCloneDrive, this will install ElbyCDIO interface. Try to switch to that in ImgBurns IO options, it helped me a bit as with it I didn't get burn failures, but there were still some minor issues, so I still switched to the default Microsoft driver, after that, no problems.

I have clonecd installed aswell which gives me the elbycdio interface so I can try that. The raid is not turned on in the bios, but probably I used the wrong ms drivers.

Since Lightning said something about AHCI, I tried the AHCI raid drivers from MS... but I should probably look further to which drivers I should use instead of the nvidia ones.

Offcourse I could start with a clean install and see what happens then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.