Disk created using 'Create Layer Break Position' gives read error while making it back to ISO

manicx

Hi there

In the past I bought a wrestling DVD. Second hand. The disk was scratched to death and the plastic ring in the middle was almost cracked. I decided to ask a friend to make an ISO image for me. I am not sure what software he used, but I kept this image in my HDD.

Yesterday, the plastic described above broke. So, I decided to use the ISO and burn the disk. The ISO is 6.80GB and I was about to use a DL disk (TDK identified as Ricoh).

Initially, I was surprised that I got a message about VOBU/ECC. I searched the forum and I extracted the VIDEO_TS folder in order to use the 'Files/Folder to Disc' option in ImgBurn.

I was then presented with the 'Create Layer Break Position' screen. I looked again in the forum and found what to do. I had a gold star. I used this option. Checked the disk in both computer and desktop DVD player. It plays in both with a minor jump (1-2 secs). I thought 'Great!!!'.

However, I decided to try something. I tried to create an ISO of this disk that I burned with DVDDecrypter and/or ImgBurn. I tried the first one first. Result?

decrypter.jpg

Then I tried using ImgBurn. Again, the same:

Imgburn.jpg

Needless to say that the disk burned, plays but it cannot be read to create a ISO using both DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn... My question is:

Can I do something to create a disk that can be read and create an ISO image without problems?

Thanks in advance for your help and for this excellent program...

Try reading that disc with other DVD drives and you might be able to make a perfect copy from it.

By the way, the only reliable dual-layer media we use and recommend is Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x (MKM-001-00) Made in Singapore blanks :thumbup:

Thanks for your answer. I will try it. I have a couple of readers only at work. I am trying to read the disk in both a NEC AD-7203A and a NEC AD-7173A. The disk was burned in 7203 at 4x. The disks I am using never failed me and gave me purfect results when I checked with Nero CD/DVD Speed. This is the first disk it fails (well, I wasted two disks :( )... I will keep you posted. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Well, I tried the disk to another dvd reader. Failed again. At work we have Nero and I tried the ISO there in a recorder same as mine. I used the same disks. Burn was perfect. <_< and Nero CD/DVD Speed gave me a quality of 96. I don't know what Nero does different, but it worked... I made back an ISO from the final disk using both ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter.

I realise that.

I'm just saying that even if I have the same model drive as you, it doesn't mean they'll burn EXACTLY the same. The age of the unit, environment it lives in, amount it's been used etc also plays a part.

Likewise, you can burn and scan 50 discs from the same pack and none of them will give identical results.

• 2 weeks later...
I realise that.

I'm just saying that even if I have the same model drive as you, it doesn't mean they'll burn EXACTLY the same. The age of the unit, environment it lives in, amount it's been used etc also plays a part.

Likewise, you can burn and scan 50 discs from the same pack and none of them will give identical results.

Thanks for your answer. I managed to borrow a copy from Nero at work and try it in my PC. Same PC and this time same drive that I tried at first with ImgBurn and failed. The image was burned 100% well and the disk can be read by the drive. I also made it back to iso using both ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter. Don't know why it fails with ImgBurn.

Don't know why it fails with ImgBurn

Yeah it is a mystery.

Try it again

Well, I already wasted 2 disks and they are not cheap. As I said, I followed instructions but had no luck in two cases. Result was identical even though I used a different break position. Regarding software, I don't know what else to do.

I am currently thinking to buy some disks and re-try. I read about Verbatim. Unfortunately, the shop I buy from doesn't display the media code. I only see VERBATIM DVD+R DUAL LAYER 2,4X 8.5GB MATT SILVER CAKEBOX 10... So, no idea if these are the disks mentioned earlier.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.