Imgburn Errors

fredcsmith

Hi,

My first post! I have to keep hitting "Retry", but the DVD ends up OK.

Here is the log file:

I 14:03:43 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 14:03:43 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 14:03:43 Total Physical Memory: 2,029,996 KB - Available: 1,604,704 KB

I 14:03:43 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:03:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 14:03:43 Found 2 DVD

IMO you have DMA issues(not in normal sense whereby you write slow) and you should follow the FAQ on fixing them by removing controller etc then try to burn @8x even trying another brand of disc's as your writer might just simply hate those disc's or they may be fake

Saying as your write was quite high with errors though check for a dodgy IDE or Sata cable.

Also chipset driver issues. So look to update the chipset drivers or remove them for IDE storage etc or make sure not set onto ide whereby you can only have 1 atapi device and maybe you got another on there also or if it was a sata device to try another sata port (non raid)

IMO you have DMA issues(not in normal sense whereby you write slow) and you should follow the FAQ on fixing them by removing controller etc then try to burn @8x even trying another brand of disc's as your writer might just simply hate those disc's or they may be fake

Saying as your write was quite high with errors though check for a dodgy IDE or Sata cable.

Also chipset driver issues. So look to update the chipset drivers or remove them for IDE storage etc or make sure not set onto ide whereby you can only have 1 atapi device and maybe you got another on there also or if it was a sata device to try another sata port (non raid)

Thanks,

My motherboard and chipset:

ECS Geforce6100SM-M2 V1.0A motherboard features the NVIDIA Geforce6100/nForce405 integrated chipset. I just updated the nForce405 drivers with the latest using the NVIDIA web site.

I am not sure how to:

1. remove controller?

2. remove IDE storage?

I have tried swapping SATA ports. My system drive is on one port[of 2], and the burner is on the other.

Also, Imgburn reports something about a SCSI device when the error pops up. And, Device Manager, shows the burner to be a SCSI device even though it is on a SATA port on the motherboard. I was troubleshooting and tried connecting it to a port on JMicron SATA/IDE controller card. Maybe this is why Windows XP is still listing it with SCSI in the descripiton.

Fred

You would only really need to change the sata port of any sata dvd writer , you should follow how to remove the controller from FAQ though(this is software wise not something your physically touch remove etc) but first change SATA/IDE cable your samsung writer is on for an 80 wire one[iDE] in your case though this would be change SATA cable and do not conenct up to jmicron sata port.

You would only really need to change the sata port of any sata dvd writer , you should follow how to remove the controller from FAQ though(this is software wise not something your physically touch remove etc) but first change SATA/IDE cable your samsung writer is on for an 80 wire one[iDE] in your case though this would be change SATA cable and do not conenct up to jmicron sata port.

I have already tried switching SATA ports on the motherboard. This did not help. What I need to try is "Removing the controller, etc.". I can't find the FAQ entry about how to do this?

Fred

1. I wanted to post some more details. The SATA DVD burner is listed in Device Manager, Properties Sheet, Details as follows:

SCSI\CDROM&VEN_TSSTCORP&PROD_CDDVDW_SH-S203N&REV_SB02\4&EFEDCC1&0&000

Notice the SCSI in front, even though the drive is connected to a SATA port on the motherboard. I have tried switching SATA ports. My guess is this happened because I once connected the drive to a SATA port on a PCI-E add-in card.

2. Also, I have an IDE burner that has been working fine through all of my tests so far.

3. I have been able to use Nero, Recode, Burning ROM, and Express to burn DVDs, CDs with none of the errors I am getting using Imgburn. This is seems like the most important point. I forgot to post this earlier.

Fred

The problem is that the NVIDIA drivers corrupt the 'sense area' that contains the error code from the drive when a command fails if the program allocates more than 18 bytes for sense area data - ImgBurn allocates 24.

Some commands are supposed to fail but the errors can only be dealt with if the error codes are correct.

A way around this (for now) will be to put the wnaspi32 file from Nero's app dir into the ImgBurn one and change the I/O interface within ImgBurn to 'ASPI'.

I can/have worked around the problem ready for the next release but really it would be better if NVIDIA just fix their drivers.

The problem is that the NVIDIA drivers corrupt the 'sense area' that contains the error code from the drive when a command fails if the program allocates more than 18 bytes for sense area data - ImgBurn allocates 24.

Some commands are supposed to fail but the errors can only be dealt with if the error codes are correct.

A way around this (for now) will be to put the wnaspi32 file from Nero's app dir into the ImgBurn one and change the I/O interface within ImgBurn to 'ASPI'.

I can/have worked around the problem ready for the next release but really it would be better if NVIDIA just fix their drivers.

Well, 'LIGHTNING UK, that worked! [Although, I don't know why?]

Do you know why this happened? And, is it related to the error and work around?

"The SATA DVD burner is listed in Device Manager, Properties Sheet, Details as follows:

SCSI\CDROM&VEN_TSSTCORP&PROD_CDDVDW_SH-S203N&REV_SB02\4&EFEDCC1&0&000

Notice the SCSI in front, even though the drive is connected to a SATA port on the motherboard. I have tried switching SATA ports. My guess is this happened because I once connected the drive to a SATA port on a PCI-E add-in card."

Fred

The Nero ASPI driver is just an SPTI wrapper really but it limits/overrides my 24 byte sense area and calls the commands with an 18 byte one - hence the sense data isn't corrupted by the drivers and ImgBurn gets the proper error codes back from the drive where it is then able to handle them correctly.

A lot of drivers emulate SCSI controllers, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it's just because they can provide additional functionality that way - RAID etc.

The Nero ASPI driver is just an SPTI wrapper really but it limits/overrides my 24 byte sense area and calls the commands with an 18 byte one - hence the sense data isn't corrupted by the drivers and ImgBurn gets the proper error codes back from the drive where it is then able to handle them correctly.

A lot of drivers emulate SCSI controllers, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think it's just because they can provide additional functionality that way - RAID etc.

The reason I was worried about the SCSI is I was getting this:

That's just your average I/O error message. A lot of I/O commands date back to the days when SCSI ruled the world and to us programmers, that's just how we know them. 'Scsi Status' applies to all devices no matter how they're physically connected. It's the naming convention used within the API functions, nothing more.

Now, back to the error message (or lack of since switching to use Nero's SPTI wrapper ASPI dll file)...

The problem is that the program is built to handle certain errors automatically (ones that are expected) but because the nvidia drivers corrupt the error codes ImgBurn is then not able to do that and you're presented with the I/O error message box. Unexpected errors show up as 'Retries' in the log and once they've been exhausted the program pops up the I/O error box.

Now that ImgBurn is once again getting the correct error codes from the drive, it can deal with the expected errors without ever needing to tell you there's a problem.

That's just your average I/O error message. A lot of I/O commands date back to the days when SCSI ruled the world and to us programmers, that's just how we know them. 'Scsi Status' applies to all devices no matter how they're physically connected. It's the naming convention used within the API functions, nothing more.

Now, back to the error message (or lack of since switching to use Nero's SPTI wrapper ASPI dll file)...

The problem is that the program is built to handle certain errors automatically (ones that are expected) but because the nvidia drivers corrupt the error codes ImgBurn is then not able to do that and you're presented with the I/O error message box. Unexpected errors show up as 'Retries' in the log and once they've been exhausted the program pops up the I/O error box.

Now that ImgBurn is once again getting the correct error codes from the drive, it can deal with the expected errors without ever needing to tell you there's a problem.

I use the newest nvidia SATA drivers and I don't see any errors and I think those drivers are working fine.Your planning to release an updated imgburn that would handle these errors. What would make these errors appear?

The errors don't exist, that's my point.

During burning the drives often return 'logical unit not ready, long write in progress' when a 'Write' command is submitted. That one is an expected response and the program just issues the same command again after a short period of time.

The NVIDIA drivers corrupt that error so it becomes something totally different - i.e. an 'unhandled / unexpected' error.

• 2 weeks later...
The errors don't exist, that's my point.

During burning the drives often return 'logical unit not ready, long write in progress' when a 'Write' command is submitted. That one is an expected response and the program just issues the same command again after a short period of time.

The NVIDIA drivers corrupt that error so it becomes something totally different - i.e. an 'unhandled / unexpected' error.

I just wanted to post that this fixed my problems too with ImgBurn. I'm hoping a "real" fix will come soon.

The problem only occured once I switched from IDE to SATA burner.

Before this, I "fixed" it by downgrading my SATA drivers to Windows IDE drivers, but that was causing other problems for me (couple BSOD's, and computer as a whole seemed slower).

Here are my detailed directions:

I copied the file wnaspi32.dll from \Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero Burning Rom, into my \Program Files\ImgBurn directory.

then I went into Imgburn, Tools/Settings/I/O tab. Under "Interface", I changed it from SPTI to ASPI.

Once I did that, everything worked great!

Relevant System Specs:

EVGA Nforce 680i SLI motherboard (nforce driver version 15.23), with latest BIOS

Nero 8

Imgburn 2.4.2.0

Edited by talax

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.