Disc write fails every time :(

Big-Dave

Hi all,

I am unable to write anything to DVD, and have no idea what the problem is.

Here is the log:

I 01:59:18 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 01:59:18 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 01:59:18 Total Physical Memory: 523,760 KB - Available: 302,584 KB

I 01:59:18 Initialising SPTI...

I 01:59:18 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 01:59:19 Found 1 DVD

They're using the Verbatim MCC dye even if they're not genuine verbs - that could of course be a problem in itself.

Have you tried burning at 8x or 12x?

Slower doesn't always equal better.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply I am desperate to get this sorted!!

I am surprised that slower doesn't mean a better burn, I will try again using a faster speed of x8.

However, it doesn't look to me like it burned anything so I am not hopeful that a faster speed will make a difference. Hopefully I will be just as wrong about this as I was about assuming that slower was better :)

Dave

No joy. Problem seems the same to my untrained eye, although I didn't have to wait as long for it to fail!!

I 11:21:30 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 11:21:30 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 11:21:30 Total Physical Memory: 523,760 KB - Available: 115,344 KB

I 11:21:30 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:21:30 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:21:31 Found 1 DVD

Out of the 30 you've burnt, have they all been from that exact same spindle of 'MCC 03RG20' discs?

If the drive has a write strategy for 'MCC 03RG20' in the firmware (which I'm positive it will have), it'll be geared for Verbatim MCC 03RG20 discs.

If yours are by some other brand then they might not be exactly equal and so strategy will be wrong - hence why it can't burn them.

All you can do is try some other discs.

As recommended above, buy some Verbatim DVD+R's or some Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's (I like the 8x TYG02 ones myself).

Hi, and thanks again for your help.

There is no brand name (or anything else) on the disc. They are plain white (for printing on I assume). They are all from the same spindle and the only reference to what discs they are was on an insert which I got rid of when I opened the pack GRRRR. For all I know they are proper Verbatims!!

I tried to delete and reinstall my IDE controllers but same result.

I am gonna have to go get some new discs aren't I? LOL

Thanks for your help and fingers crossed the new discs will work when I get them.

Dave

My new discs arrived today, excellent service indeed.

I tried to burn one, tbh not expecting it to make a difference, but it worked!!!

Looks like I am sticking to these discs now forevermore :)

I noticed on the log some parts were highlighted in yellow (not highlighted in this post but it's the parts beginning with 'W'), I guess some kind of problem. Need I worry about it?

Here is the log:

I 11:04:32 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 11:04:32 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 11:04:32 Total Physical Memory: 523,760 KB - Available: 180,288 KB

I 11:04:32 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:04:32 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:04:33 Found 1 DVD

Your G: drive can't feed the writer fast enough. Is it an USB connected one? Check that DMA is enabled for that hard disk.

Thanks for the reply Cynthia.

I had actually come to the same conclusion today. I know that when I switch on my G: drive I receive a message saying that it isn't connected to the fastest USB port. Yet when I connect to the faster port it doesn't work LOL

I'm just glad the writer is working again :)

If it continues to let me write with the problem I have with G: then excellent, and if not I can just copy what I want over to C: before I start.

Thanks again

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.