Burning Problems

DeeGee

Hi, I am a non-techie and would like some help with burning problems I have recently been experiencing.

I have been able to burn back-up Wii games using ImgBurn and Verbatim DVD-R disks without any problems. However, all of a sudden I am getting error messages. I open up ImgBurn, but in the blank disk and then after the drive whirrs away, it eventually comes back with an error "Tracking Servo Failure". Having read some blogs they say its because of the poor quality disks, but then some say Verbatim are the best and this again doesn't seem to ring true as I've been able to burn others previously.

I'm concerned that it may be to do with the drive? But then again, I've since backed up a movie successfully.

May it be to do with the fact that I have had limited space on my drive, or if not, please advise with some other ideas? And non-technical advice please.

Thanks.

Please post the log from a failed burn (you can find the logs at Help menu -> ImgBurn Logs). And no, it doesn't have anything to do with free space :)

Hi, here is the log from today ...

//****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 04 February 2009, 21:02:54

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 19:39:03 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!

I 19:39:03 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 19:39:03 Total Physical Memory: 456,804 KB - Available: 192,536 KB

W 19:39:03 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 19:39:03 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:39:03 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:39:03 Found 1 DVD

That log doesn't show anything being burned so it doesn't tell us what could be wrong. Look further on the log on your computer and you should find the log showing the failed burn.

By the way, please download and install the latest ImgBurn version.

Thanks, but the error message I mentioned showed before I even tried to burn, it didn't allow me to get that far. Here's the last log showing more than that one I just included...

//****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 28 January 2009, 21:21:21

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 21:11:09 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!

I 21:11:09 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 21:11:09 Total Physical Memory: 456,804 KB - Available: 95,804 KB

W 21:11:09 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 21:11:10 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:11:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:11:10 Found 1 DVD

I 21:12:31 Destination Device: [0:1:0] MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S 1.20 (E:) (ATA)

I 21:12:31 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

I 21:12:31 Write Speed: 4x

Have you tried the other available burn speeds? Try a lens cleaner disc on that burner. Also check with the laptop manufacturer if there are firmware updates available for your burner. Where are your Verbatim blanks made? It's written on the packaging.

I 21:12:31 Destination Device: [0:1:0] MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S 1.20 (E:) (ATA)

I 21:12:31 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

I 21:12:31 Write Speed: 4x

Have you tried the other available burn speeds? Try a lens cleaner disc on that burner. Also check with the laptop manufacturer if there are firmware updates available for your burner. Where are your Verbatim blanks made? It's written on the packaging.

Haven't changed the burn speed recently because it always worked in the past and just seems to have stopped! Verbatim blanks made in Taiwan.

I am having same issue but mine burn almost all the way then comes back with the "power calibration" error.

Just odered Verbs from Singapor. Does that matter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280311052661

Also ordered lens cleaner. Cheapest i could find was Target so bought this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=110293503861

Heres log file. But I was using Memorex that I have used before without a prob.

I 01:34:41 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 01:34:41 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 01:34:41 Total Physical Memory: 1,038,764 KB - Available: 628,052 KB

I 01:34:41 Initialising SPTI...

I 01:34:41 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 01:34:41 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

SO you cant answer the quesiton about why you asked where media was made so MAYBE you can educate both of us

You hijacked this thread, the :worthy: Boss :worthy: advised you to start your own thread, so don't be a wise-ass and do what you're asked to and you'll get the answers that will help you solve the problem. <_<

This is my thread and I'm still no clearer on the problem. I've just used ConvertXtoDVD last night to burn another film onto Kodak disks, so surely its not a problem with the burner? I've just ordered some cleaning fluid, so maybe that will help, but again surely wouldn't burn films if problems were with the drive?

My next try is to see whether the disks (Verbatim) I've been using for games work ok for films? Anyone any better ideas?

It doesn't matter what you put on the discs, data is just data.

Your drive is complaining with a 'power calibration error' when you try to burn at 4x using the DAO write type on MCC 03RG20 media.

You can google 'power calibration error' and read all about it if you like.

If none of the other supported write speeds work either, you can try switching to the 'incremental' write type in the settings and trying them all again.

After that it's a case of attempting to clean the drive and/or try some different discs. Personally I'd get Taiyo Yuden if you want DVD-R and Verbatim if you want DVD+R.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.