Semaphore timeout

Ichinichi

Argh! Its happening again! Semaphore timeout, then retry fails. Please help.

Disks: Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4X from Best Buy store

Origin: Singapore

Drive: Sony DRX-840U

History: I purchased this drive and these disks in October 2008. Successfully burned 5 DL and several Audio CDs and Data DVDs since then. All DL disks are from the same spindle as the other five. Last successful burn was data DVD. I have not installed anything since my last successful DL burn.

Log:

I 19:53:46 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 19:53:46 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 19:53:46 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,364 KB - Available: 1,704,456 KB

I 19:53:46 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:53:47 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:53:47 Found 1 DVD

There's nothing much you can do. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard's chipset. Search the forum for "semaphore timeout" and you'll see other suggestions that may or may not work :)

There's nothing much you can do. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard's chipset. Search the forum for "semaphore timeout" and you'll see other suggestions that may or may not work :)

for serious? you mean there isn't an understood cause?

Well, the thing is, nothing has changed in my system since the last successful DL write. Its the same install of Windows, the same sticks of RAM, the same spindle of disks, the same drivers, same motherboard, same everything.

Where are the error descriptions generated from? Internal to IMGBURN or is "Semaphore timeout" just passed through IMGBURN from the OS? Semaphore timeout means that the OS has detected a starvation/deadlock scenario on some shared resource. It cannot be the file itself, since IMGBURN is just reading it, and no one ought to be writing to the image at the same time as it is being burned anyway, so there's no risk of Read-After-Write. Meaning that the resource must be the burner itself; Windows is detecting that at least one other some other process is reserving the drive and has determined that a deadlock has occured. This then kills all processes and resets the semaphore values.

Edited by Ichinichi

It's an OS generated error code.

If you look at these you'll notice there's dead on 10 seconds between them.

W 20:08:30 Failed to Write Sectors 1305792 - 1305823 - Reason: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

W 20:08:30 Retrying (1 of 20)...

W 20:08:40 Retry Failed - Reason: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

W 20:08:40 Retrying (2 of 20)...

So your system is timing out the I/O after only 10 seconds and totally ignoring that I've set a much longer timeout on all the commands.

I have no idea exactly which driver is responsible for doing that, sorry.

It's an OS generated error code.

If you look at these you'll notice there's dead on 10 seconds between them.

W 20:08:30 Failed to Write Sectors 1305792 - 1305823 - Reason: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

W 20:08:30 Retrying (1 of 20)...

W 20:08:40 Retry Failed - Reason: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

W 20:08:40 Retrying (2 of 20)...

So your system is timing out the I/O after only 10 seconds and totally ignoring that I've set a much longer timeout on all the commands.

I have no idea exactly which driver is responsible for doing that, sorry.

This is why I love imgburn; where the hell else will the creator still actively participate at this level?

lightning uk, I will take a look at my registry entries, perhaps i've set them in the past (although i do not recall doing so between october and now)...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.