Nec/Optiarc AD-7170S & Verbatim - no go!

Headcleanr

Hi!

New to the forum, and new to Imgburn. But unfortunately not new to coasting discs.

<_<

So, please if you can bare with me a couple of minutes, i'll try to be short and clear.

Even though i have this drive for some time now, only today i needed to record a DL DVD. Already knowing about how picky drives can be with this type of media, i bought some Verbatims. Only found -R rated at 4X however.

As i hadn't been having problems with Nero lately, i gave it a try. Only to waste 4.50 euros on a coasted disc. It made the lead-in and right after starting the record process it failed.

Btw, i was trying to write and iso image to the dvd.

Not having interest to ruin another disc i googled around and found that Nero isn't the best application to do such job. And therefore i found Imgburn. Wich made me think that my problems were solved.

DVD on the recorder, Imgburn installed, and this time i set it to do a test run first. Wich completed with no problems whatsoever. So, i gave the thumbs up and clicked the button to record. To my despair, once again it failed.

[size="1"]I 16:15:58 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 16:15:58 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 16:15:58 Total Physical Memory: 2.095.940 KB - Available: 1.554.912 KB

I 16:15:58 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:15:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:15:58 Found 1 DVD

Edited by Headcleanr

Update the firmware.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Optiarc/AD-7170S/files.html

If that doesn't work (and you should do this anyway), stop buying DVD-R DL and get DVD+R DL instead.

For reliable DL burning you need to follow this:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=8000

I've read that thread already!

:thumbup:

This means that with the updated 1.03 firmware (already done that!- haven't tried it though!) i'll have to take a chance with another disc or with +R discs?

:wacko:

My wallet is already afraid! Why do companys sell stuff (drives and media) wich aren't reliable to do what they are supposed to?

:huh:

I say this cause i guess there's nothing wrong with my system. Or should i take a look on something that i haven't?

I should also add that the image that i tried to burn was a converted (trough PowerIso) *.dmg image.

Or would you guys reckon it is time for me to look onto a new drive?

Yup, you're going to have to (potentially) waste another DVD-R DL and try out the drive with the new 1.03 firmware.

Do make sure it really is on 1.03 first though - and that you've rebooted your PC.

After that, get the Verb DVD+R DL discs.

I'm sure your actual drive is fine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.