DVD IFO/BUP Not Burning Properly?

Show Don't Tell

Hello, I'm new here, but I've been using ImgBurn for quite some time now. Props to LIGHNING UK for developing it! :thumbup: It's the only burning application I use!

I just have one problem. Let me explain. I am an avid Rush bootleg collector, and download many recordings of shows in both lossless audio and DVD video format. The problem with this is that if you want to share something back that you downloaded, it has to be identical to the files you download. No re-encoding, editing, etc. In other words: Don't pollute the trading pool! So, I purchased a 1 TB external hard drive to store all my audio downloads on, and my video, too. But, I figured that in order to save space, I could burn my DVD videos to DVD discs, while the files remain the same. That way everything was backed up, I saved space on my 1 TB drive, and I could watch my DVD to boot! The way I set it up is:

D:\VIDEO_TS\< DVD-Video Files >

D:\AUDIO_TS\< Empty >

D:\EXTRA_TS\< Info file(s), MD5 checksum file, artwork(s), etc. >

I always make sure my MD5 checksum file verifies okay before burning. So for the desired DVD, I did it (With Trader's Little Helper, which is a program that uses the executable shorten.exe and shntool.exe and many others).

Line 1: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 2: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 3: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 4: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 5: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 6: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 7: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 8: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 9: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).

All right, then, everything looks good! Time to burn!

So I start up ImgBurn, choose Build and then Device. I add the VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS and EXTRA_TS directories. I add a label. I click BURN.

It burns.

X number of minutes later, it's finished! Now I always go into the disc and make sure the video files burned properly by verifying the MD5 checksum file. So I go into EXTRA_TS, and open my MD5. Verify.

What?

Line 1: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP' failed verification (checksum does not match).
Line 2: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO' failed verification (checksum does not match).
Line 3: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 4: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 5: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 6: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 7: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 8: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).
Line 9: file '\..\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_5.VOB' verified ok (checksum does match).

Everything checks out except for VIDEO_TS.BUP and VIDEO_TS.IFO. What the heck? Why? For another disc I burned the same way, I checked the MD5. It was fine. But another one had the same problem. I tried burning a different DVD. Same thing! I tried it on a different drive. Problem NOT solved!

The MD5 value for the originals:

0478c9293b021e74e803d625ca5c72ca *VIDEO_TS.BUP
0478c9293b021e74e803d625ca5c72ca *VIDEO_TS.IFO

...and the MD5 value for the burned files:

2437ff4073263b21bb2a137f992553c8 *VIDEO_TS.BUP
2437ff4073263b21bb2a137f992553c8 *VIDEO_TS.IFO

Both the burned and the originals are exactly 8.00KB (8192b).

I can't figure it out. My log is attached, and is also below. Thanks if anyone can help! (Oh, and if it helps, IFO/BUP 32k padding is ENABLED. But like I said, it was fine for other DVDs, and some discs, like this one, it wasn't.)

I 15:22:10 ImgBurn Version 2.4.3.0 started!

I 15:22:10 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 15:22:10 Total Physical Memory: 3,109,604 KB - Available: 2,128,608 KB

W 15:22:10 Drive E:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 15:22:10 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:22:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:22:10 Found 1 DVD

ImgBurn.log

Why don't you compare the actual files at byte level... then you'll see what's been changed.

You can lookup what's at those offsets using http://dvd.sourceforge.net/dvdinfo/ifo.html or IfoEdit.

My guess is it's just the pointers to the various files / titlesets and nothing to worry about - in fact, it's good that they were corrected or the disc might not play!

Why don't you compare the actual files at byte level... then you'll see what's been changed.

You can lookup what's at those offsets using http://dvd.sourceforge.net/dvdinfo/ifo.html or IfoEdit.

My guess is it's just the pointers to the various files / titlesets and nothing to worry about - in fact, it's good that they were corrected or the disc might not play!

So it's okay then? Would disabling Padding fix the problem?

It's most likely the padding. Here's a way to get around padding for good.....

Before you burn your project, load it into VobBlanker.

Then tick Use Input Folder under the settings in the main GUI. Make sure the Smart Gaps is on in "More Settings" and save to registry (so you won't need to tick the box every time).

Now go Adjust sectors --> In Input Folder. This adds at least 32k padding where it needs it as tiny unreferenced files.

You'll never need padding again, and the padding that VobBlanker makes is very smart as it places the IFO and BUP on opposite sides of the disc, meaning that if the IFO has a read error, the BUP has a real good chance of being read.

Once this is done, ImgBurn will never need to pad again, since there will always be at least 32k gaps (subject to dual layer burns needing to move around a bit to honour the rules of setting the layer break).

By the way: EXTRA_TS is not a valid DVD folder name. If you want photos, JACKET_P is a folder that can house appropriately sized pix (google the specs of the pix). Or just have a folder called "DVD ROM files" or something.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.