Burning BD-R DL

PassedPawn

If the size of the content is less than the full capacity of a BD-R DL, how does ImgBurn determine how much to put on each layer?

In the Write settings there is an option to select layer break with two choices: calculate optimal and user entered size for layer 0.

I burned a BD-R DL of an iso about 40GB and the layer break option was at optimal.

It appears that ImgBurn used the layer 0 to the full before going to the second layer.

When payed the movie has a considerable pause, about 20 seconds, at a point in the movie which I suspect is at the layer break.

It always happens at the exact same point in the movie, and then plays fine to the end.

Well, it could be that this particular disc had some bad sectors, but I thought I would ask about the layer break.

If the content size is less than the full capacity, is it advisable to set the layer break manually, say, half on each layer?

BTW, I use Verbatim discs exclusively.

You don't do anything with layer breaks on BD discs, they're to be treated as if multiple layers didn't exist in the first place. Unlike on DVD+R DL media, you cannot set a position for the layer break / move it around and the individual layers are always burnt in full.

If your player is taking 20 seconds (plus how ever long it can actually handle in its internal buffer) to catch up after the laser refocuses on the 2nd layer, I'd have to assume it can't read the disc very well.

Did it verify ok after the burn?

Thanks for the info. Didn't know layer break didn't apply to BD discs.

The player is Samsung BD-H6500.

The verify was off when I burned the disc but afterwards I ran it through BDInfo to scan the bitrate and it finished reading the whole disc without problem,.

The disc plays fine to the end except for that particular spot.

I will do more tests and see what happens.

I know, as LUK said, there are no layer breaks on BD DL and BD XL as Blu-Rays are treated as one gigantic layer/disc.  However, what I want to know is on video Blu-Rays, do players have a pause when switching between layers when playing the video like they can on DVD-9's?  :unsure:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.