ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

DL Layer break window

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, single layer burns rarely are an issue.  Although as sure as I said that, last week, I had a SL fail Verify.  It must have been a defective DVD-R, though, because I've not had a single failure of them since.  Introducing more than 1 layer (1 layer for DVD DL and up to 2 for BD XL) always causes a problem.  And the Write/Verify almost always tends to fail at the layer change.

Amazon in the US has a good return policy, too.  I got an ASUS and they accepted my returns because on 2 different copies of the same model, it did the same thing: destroyed rewritable DVD+RW and BD-RE DL.

AV software generally is not an issue with optical burning problems.  It can be but rarely is.  I just always test it first.  Especially since you're using the same software on the PC that doesn't work and the laptop that does, there's no need to test a burn on that.

Since you've tried on the same PC where it was failing in Normal Mode and didn't fail in Safe Mode, the safe bet would be it's something that loads in Normal Mode that doesn't in Safe Mode.  What I would do at this point is restore my Windows partition to its factory default installation and try again.  Without installing anything else other than ImgBurn.  However, you have to be relatively comfortable with imaging your PC, restoring images, juggling partitions, etc.  It's not for everyone, but if you're comfortable with it, it can help you isolate what it might be.

Especially if this drive had worked at some point before, then something is being introduced somewhere by a software installation, or worse a Windows Update, that is causing the problem.

Since it seems to be something introduced at the software level, an enclosure might be a good investment to make for testing.  If it still fails on a USB channel and it had failed on SATA but didn't fail on SATA in Safe Mode, then there's some kind of layer in there somewhere causing the issue.  Something that loads in Normal Mode that doesn't in Safe Mode.

#22 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Sorry, ignore some of what I said, like you rebuilding an entire system.  I think I crossed over this thread with another one in my brain.  :blush2:

#23 seoras

seoras

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

Fitted replacement drive (Pioneer) earlier and it successfully copied 6.2 Gb file on the disc successfully written by the laptop. ImgBurn also successfully verified the disc in the new drive. Neither of these actions were successful with the old LG drive, now awaiting return.

As far as I'm concerned, the LG drive is defective and that has been the cause of my burn issues. When I come to burn dual layer dic next, I expect a successful burn.

#24 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

There used to be an old joke that LG stood for Lucky Good because it was Lucky Good if it worked right.  The first LG DVD burner I had was a rebranded drive from IOMega.  That thing was wrong out of the box.  50% of the DVD's it burned played back with random skips and pauses on the Playstation 2.  That turned me off to LG products for years until I needed a new BD burner and there was an LG one at Best Buy in town.  It replaced my LiteOn BD burner that stopped writing BD-RE after 3 months and completely turned me off of LiteOn products.  And I think LiteOn no longer makes BD burners, which tells you something.  That LG BD burner lasted about a year and then I got a 2nd LG one which lasted about a year. 

Then I tried a Pioneer.  I've had 4 of those.  3 of them performed fairly well, but the last one was borked right out of the box.  The only reason I got another LG again was because the latest firmware for Pioneer borks Ritek 8x DVD+RW writes.  The LG doesn't.  However, the LG has its own issues.  It doesn't write BD DL media properly and writes giant floppy formatted BD-RE DL at 1x instead of 2x.  And what it does write, the data is corrupt. 

So, next time, I'm giving Pioneer another shot.  I can downgrade the firmware on the Pioneer to the last to the latest revision which does write 8x Ritek DVD+RW correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users