AVI Format

Richsale

It looks like a newer (commercial) version of VSO DivXtoDVD. The trial version watermarks your video files too. :/ I?ll stick with the older freeware version.

http://www.free-codecs.com/DivXToDVD_download.htm

Does it make sense to convert a 18 gig .AVI to ISO, then use DVD Shrink to fit the ISO to DVD, with final burn to DVD using IMGBurn?

Reason: 18 gig AVI is an indie film master I just finished audio/video post. Looking to make DVDs for people involved. DVD Shrink / IMG burn seems to me a better way to goto DVD than MPEGII considering data loss and how the final result will be.

What software should I use to do AVI to ISO?

Edited by LF1

18gigs? It's a tad on the large side. I don't know what you've got against MPEG2 as the quality will likely be shoddy only if the source is. Commercial vendors use it because it's the standard. You could certainly compress it but I doubt DVD Shrink would touch it due to the amount of compression needed. I could be wrong though.

Converting an AVI to an ISO is pretty simple using the tool I linked to above which converts all sorts of video formats to DVD VOB files. Then use something like ImgTool Classic to convert the VOBs to an ISO which then loads ImgBurn automatically to burn. ImgTool Classic can be found at www.coujo.de.

A dedicated video forum might be a better place to ask about conversions and compression of various video formats.

I was thinking the same thing as most of the replies here. If you're STARTING at 18 gig AVI, you're going to have a ridiculously large MPEG-2 video size for DVD. I believe the last time I used MainConcept MPEG Encoder to convert a 1 GB AVI to DVD Video, it created a 6 GB MPEG file. Now, if the same level of magnitude applies to this case, you're looking at a 108 GB MPEG file. At that size, can you even compress it down to DVD-Video at that level? The good news is, though, at 18 GB, the AVI should have fairly good video quality, I'd think. So, IF it could be converted, it should look pretty good as a DVD. I'd say the biggest hurdle is just having enough space to do this to start with.

I was thinking the same thing as most of the replies here. If you're STARTING at 18 gig AVI, you're going to have a ridiculously large MPEG-2 video size for DVD. I believe the last time I used MainConcept MPEG Encoder to convert a 1 GB AVI to DVD Video, it created a 6 GB MPEG file. Now, if the same level of magnitude applies to this case, you're looking at a 108 GB MPEG file. At that size, can you even compress it down to DVD-Video at that level? The good news is, though, at 18 GB, the AVI should have fairly good video quality, I'd think. So, IF it could be converted, it should look pretty good as a DVD. I'd say the biggest hurdle is just having enough space to do this to start with.

18 gigs? Indie film edited with Adobe Pro 6.5. Timeline exported to .avi (1hour 22min long film). People involved want a DVD of it to send others to show their work. I can use Nero 6 to make std quality DVD MPEG2. I just wonder if that's good enough? Nero says to use DVD 9 - whioch I don't have here now (Dual layer DVD). Shrinking then burning ISO to disk, I also wonder if the result looks just like DVD movies from "major" studios. IMGBurn handles dual layer DVDs, right? Even shrunk by DVD Shrink to fit 1 DVD, you can ask DVd Shrink to max quality before burn.

MPEG2 export from Adobe Pro 6.5 timeline results in jerky motion DVD. Sonic / My DVD - can't read the .avi file!! Nero 6 can work, but if I can get great quality, I'll go for that. Thanks for the link to classic IMGBurn. I'd need to go VOBs to an ISO to DVD shrink to IMGBurn. Still deciding what to do...........

Edited by LF1

<cough> Converting home video's of you and the missus again volvo ?? :P
Can they show that?! Volvo's missus's vulv... :blush2: Better not complete that, otherwise, they might come in and- :chair:

(!) - ALERT POP-UP #23666

The rest of this post has been pre-sanitized for your mental convenience by the Thought Police who have gratiously agreed to travel back in time from where they rule all thought into your temporal zone to make sure you don't see anything you shouldn't.

Used VSO DivxToDVD to make an iso of a short test band scene AVI source. Mounted iso in Daemon Tools - sound was delayed / shrill.

Let me guess - you used Windows Media Player to view it? If you did, use Media Player Classic instead.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

Used VSO DivxToDVD to make an iso of a short test band scene AVI source. Mounted iso in Daemon Tools - sound was delayed / shrill.

Maybe they're just a lousy band. :D Don't worry. I'm just a tease! :queen:

Ken

a camcorder transfer using windoze movie maker gives about 13 gb per hour of film .

i usualy throw the large avi thru tmpgenc's dvdauthor to get vobs

Thanks mate, not having one (Camcorder) I wasn't aware of that, I wonder why so big? 13Gb for an hour of film is just huge.

Hey!!!!!!! I was using the clip with the wrong audio source!!!!

When I used the band clip with the music CD added directly into the movie via Adobe Premire 6.5 timeline vs live recording through the camcorder all worked great:

VSO DivxToDVD (Free) did a great job making VIDEO_TS files.

DVD Shrink 3.2 imported these files and did its thing.

Can I add chapters to the video w/ DVD Shrink / IMGBurn? Is this possible?

Hey!!!!!!! I was using the clip with the wrong audio source!!!!

When I used the band clip with the music CD added directly into the movie via Adobe Premire 6.5 timeline vs live recording through the camcorder all worked great:

VSO DivxToDVD (Free) did a great job making VIDEO_TS files.

DVD Shrink 3.2 imported these files and did its thing.

Can I add chapters to the video w/ DVD Shrink / IMGBurn? Is this possible?

You can't add chapter points with DVD Shrink. Not that I'm aware of anyway. VSO DivxToDVD can add chapter points but I think it's in time intervals (e.g. every 5 minutes or 7 minutes or whatever) rather than selecting a specific point within the video itself. ImgBurn cannot add chapter point either. Shouldn't your Adobe package be able to do that?

Hey!!!!!! Amazing. Shamus Thanks!!!!!!! And Thanks to Lightning UK for a great IMGBurn!!!!!

How do you compare .avi to VIDEO_TS shrink reduction using ConvertXtoDVD vs DVD Shrink?

Steps I used to make DVD from .avi:

1. ConvertXtoDVD reduced 18gigs of .avi to 2.6 gig VIDEO_TS file

2. DVD Shrink / IMGBurn made a 2.48 gig ISO file

3. IMGBurn (4X) made DVD+R

Used 4X burn rate to maintain quality. My Sony DRU810 DVD burner burns max 16X.

There are chapter points in ConvertXtoDVD!!

BTW tried making MPEG-2 files with TMPEGEnc - quality was poor from my .avi master file. The DVD I made with the steps above plays when you open WinDVD software, and plays in WMP as well. A few places I notices a slight jerk in motion, but it could easily be my PIII CPU / 512 Rambus ram ancient beast taking a stress leak. Other than that the DVD sound is excellent and picture quality almost equal to the major studios. Since the source is an indie film, it's very good picture, but not Hollywood. Yet!!!

This is the best place on the net!!! Lots of good links on members posts.

Edited by LF1

Hey!!!!!! Amazing. Shamus Thanks!!!!!!! And Thanks to Lightning UK for a great IMGBurn!!!!!

You're welcome. :)

How do you compare .avi to VIDEO_TS shrink reduction using ConvertXtoDVD vs DVD Shrink?
I don't. :) Philosophers and experts might care about the minor differences but I can't see the diffence usually. Both are great programs.
A few places I notices a slight jerk in motion, but it could easily be my PIII CPU / 512 Rambus ram ancient beast taking a stress leak.

It shouldn't be a problem. Playing a DVD isn't that stressful on a PC. The only thing I can think of that would make the playback jerky is using too many resources on other needless tasks. eg.

Lowering the resolution of your desktop. Lower resolution = less memory usage.

Running a 32bit colour desktop is pointless.

A 16bit desktop can display 65,536 colours and 32bit can display 4,294,967,296. The human eye can detect around 10,000 unique colours which makes it impractical to make your PC work harder than is has to to display colours that you can't see.

Deleting icons from your desktop and placing the icons into your taskbar or menus. Again, less memory usage.

Having said that, a P3 is easily capable of playing back a DVD correctly. Windows Media Player and WinDVD use bucketloads of resources to do what is essentially a very basic task. Media Player Classic is fast, streamlined and very low on resource usage. The interface is a bit cack but it's a brilliant program. If you add some codecs it'll play almost any media format around, even the really weird ones.

Media Player Classic - http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

K-Lite Codec Pack - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Grab a memory flushing program. I use a memclear program called MaxMem which is a free download from www.analogx.com.

Lastly, make sure DMA is enabled and working for all of your drives which ensures data is travelling as fast as possible from your drives to the cpu.

Other than that the DVD sound is excellent and picture quality almost equal to the major studios. Since the source is an indie film, it's very good picture, but not Hollywood. Yet!!!

This is the best place on the net!!! Lots of good links on members posts.

Glad you got it all working and thanks for your feedback. :)

Deleting icons from your desktop and placing the icons into your taskbar or menus. Again, less memory usage.

Thanks Shamus, didn't realize the above bit of info you gave out............. :thumbup::lol:

It's logical when you think about it. :) The OS has to use memory to display these things on your desktop. These days, with machines running a gig or more of RAM, it's not as important as it used to be. My desktops (running 1gig or more of memory) are almost bare. They all run 16bit colour at 1280x1024 and only run s/ware in the background that needs to be run. There's no point chewing up memory if you don't have to. That MaxMem program linked above is a great tool for periodically cleaning up your RAM. There's also bucketloads of other great tools on that site if you feel like looking around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.