RedSpy

verbatim single layer dvd: what's best?

With verbatim dvd+r dl discs, it seems pretty straightforward that the ones made in singapore are best. But what about the single layer DVD+Rs? After doing a quick search on the internet, I can say that I'm totally confused. MCC? CMC? Prodisc? MBI? PAPA? MIT? WTF? Can anyone explain what all this means and which one I should get? I would be most appreciative!

You'd want the ones with the MCC media code. Not the 'value' stuff that could use a different media code.

But aren't there inferior brands  that use the mcc code? I thought that's what I read somewhere but wasn't sure if that info was outdated.

how could I tell if the mcc is actually a cmc? I have some single layer (+) I bought a while ago and I'm trying to find out where it was made. I know it's on the outer cover but because I got it before I knew about how quality can be affected by where it was manufactured, I threw it (the outer cover) away before checking. When I pop it into my drive and load up ImgBurn, it says MCC-004 but how can I tell if it's actually a Singapore MCC and not a CMC (Taiwan?) or a Prodisc (???) or a MBI (India?)?

Edited by RedSpy

Unfortunately, you can't. Anyone can put anything in the MID field. Fake SONY were made for a long time. Same thing with what's on the label. The Memorex label is on their DVD media, but, CMC makes it.

ahh well that's a bummer. I guess I will use these to make data dvds.and order new ones from newegg.

Thanks!

just curious, why don't you use DVD+R? I was under the impression that + was superior to - and so I stopped using DVD-R.

Mostly for compatibility with standalone DVD players. I mostly burn movies to DVD. Although, ironically, for DVD-9's, DVD+R DL is what I use because they are, strangely, more compatible with standalone DVD player than DVD-R DL's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.