Are Philips and Lite-On basically the same company?

dbminter

My current Lite-On drive is listed with PLDS in its ID string in ImgBurn.  I found that PLDS stands for Philips & Lite-On Digital Solutions.  So, does that mean that Philips and Lite-On are basically the same company?  Sort of like how Sony and Optiarc were basically the same thing after Sony bought them up.

I ask because when I choose my next Blu-Ray burner, I have a choice of Philips or Asus over LG.  I had a Lite-On Blu-Ray burner and it swore me off of Lite-On after my last DVD burner from them was bad, too.  :angry:  So, I definitely don't want a Philips if they are essentially Lite-On rebranded, or vice versa.

Thanks!

Oh, yeah, there was also Pioneer to choose from.  I forgot about that.

I currently have an LG but there are limitations to it that make me wary of getting another one.  The DVD-RW's it writes are apparently written in some proprietary way.  DVD-RW's it writes cannot be formatted or used in my Panasonic DVD recorder until they are fully formatted by one of my Lite-On's.  And it's just iffy on rewritables to begin with.  My experience with DVD+RW has been that, randomly, writes and verifies will finish, but when you try to read the contents, the discs are unreadable and can't be reused/formatted again.  So, there's apparently some sort of proprietary write strategies to rewritables on this LG that make it unusable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.