Two instances of ImgBurn running?

dbminter

Can two instances of ImgBurn be running simultaneously?  For instance, can one invokation of ImgBurn be building an ISO from files and folders while a 2nd instance of ImgBurn is reading a disc to an ISO file, so long as the disc is not being used to add files to the Build mode ISO?

Thanks!

While at it, is the following statement true?

"Each session of the software can only burn to one drive at a time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImgBurn#Limits

I don't have more than one optical drive in my PC so I can't verify this.

With that said, it is possible to instantiate ImgBurn. So it is possible to run two or more instances of ImgBurn and have each instance perform a different task, as long as no more than one of these tasks is burning/writing optical discs, even if more than one optical drive/burner is present in the system. (I think I got this right... what a mouthful!)

Edited by Ken852

Well... there’s only ever 1 active drive in the program at any time, so you can only burn to 1 drive at a time.

Different instances can burn to different drives simultaneously, but your storage device(s) would need to be fast enough to support it.

Ah OK... it says "each session of the software". I seem to have misinterpreted this. The statement says nothing about the number of instances of ImgBurn you can run, or how many optical drives you can write to by instantiation. It just says that a single instance of ImgBurn can only writ to a single optical drive, that's it.

It means that each instance can writing to only one optical drive. I'm not sure I would want it any other way? Not if you can achieve simultaneous writing to different optical drives by simply instantiating ImgBurn. So the way I see it now, this is not a limitation at all, even though it's listed as a limitation of ImgBurn.

By storage devices you mean the hard drive? What about using a SATA SSD with about 500 MB/s read speed, would that suffice for writing ISO files to 2 optical drives at the same time?

Edited by Ken852

On 4/4/2021 at 4:08 PM, Ken852 said:

While at it, is the following statement true?

"Each session of the software can only burn to one drive at a time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImgBurn#Limits

I think it reffers to as you can't burn to multiple drives like a duplicator does. 

Only one session to one drive. Not one session to multi drives.

I think the Wikipedia statement is a poor attempt to say that two different instances of ImgBurn can't access the same drive being used by one of the other instances.  ImgBurn locks a drive for exclusive access when burning.  However, I suppose it could be possible to be reading from one drive in one instance as an ISO of a disc and creating an ISO in Build mode with files from the same disc.  Unless ImgBurn locks drives for exclusive access during ISO read operations; I don't know.  You can't use a 2nd instance to create a 2nd image, either creating an ISO of a disc or accessing files in Build mode from that disc.  Obviously, of course, you couldn't have one instance of ImgBurn burning a disc in a drive and then have a 2nd instance burn to that same drive or attempt to read files from it.  Even if you could, ImgBurn wouldn't allow it because ImgBurn locks drives for exclusive access when burning.

23 hours ago, ianymaty said:

I think it reffers to as you can't burn to multiple drives like a duplicator does. 

Only one session to one drive. Not one session to multi drives. 

A duplicator? Is that one of those tall tower machines that cost $$$$ and have several trays for discs, with little monochrome LCD displays at the top?

That word "session" is confusing me. Is that the same as to say "instance"?

In all fairness, I don't think you can compare one of those expensive duplicator machines to ImgBurn. Because ImgBurn runs on a much more powerful platform where you can install almost any number of drives, and with the ability to instantiate ImgBurn, that's like having 1 to 1 duplicators times 10 (that's 10 small duplicators, with each cloning only 1 disc to 1 drive at a time). You can build this at a fraction of the cost for a massive duplicator machine.

Maybe that's where the authors of Wikipedia got their idea from? The limitation they are describing?

But then the duplicator would have to run some kind of Windows?

It's needless to say, but being able to instantiate ImgBurn makes it very powerful and flexible. And of course, you are not going to be burning more than one disc at a time per drive. Also, you will probably not want to do things that could affect the overall performance like burning a disc from an ISO file while at the same time reading that same ISO file in a second instance of ImgBurn and burning it to a second drive.

Edited by Ken852

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.