Formatted but empty DVD-RAM error

fordman

I'm posting the subject bug found by my brother. I don't use DVD-RAM, nor do I have any DVD-RAM discs to duplicate this issue, so I'm reporting it as he found it. Note that he experienced this with a new Pioneer drive that otherwise is working fine with DVD-RAM discs in conjunction with other applications.

Here's what he reported to me, along with a screen shot:

I tried using a DVD-RAM formatted with UDF 2.0 on the Acer computer with Imgburn and it functions the same way as on the desktop computer. I wasn't sure if InCD was interferring with it on the desktop, but I don't have it installed on the Acer, so it rules that out. I also tried a DVD+RW formatted with UDF 1.5 and 2.0 on the desktop, but Imgburn didn't crash with that one. It only occurs if you select the Read mode with a formatted, but blank, DVD-RAM in the drive. The hard drive starts flashing and the memory gets eaten up until Imgburn crashes and sometimes Windows displays the low virtual memory warning.

Any ideas?

Ford Man

post-2506-1175787521_thumb.png

Ok against my better judgement I installed InCd 4.3 something to go with my nero 6 as I have a pioneer 111.

I formatted DVD-RAM to UDF2.0 with Incd

Used ImgBurn 2.3.0.0 Switched to Read mode and it's fine for me.

incdudf2ao0.jpg

How big is the page file your brother uses/ is it manual or windows controlled ?

I'm just formatting one in a tool called DVDForm so I'll take a look in a minute too.

Maybe the problem comes after you've added some files to it a few times or something?

The format/erase in ImgBurn doesn't put a filesystem on the disc, it wipes the disc clean - hence it's not the same thing as the InCD format.

Ok, I formatted mine with UDF 2.0 in that DVDForm.exe program, tried it - worked ok.

Added some files via Drag + Drop in explorer, tried it - worked ok.

Added some more files via Drag + Drop in explorer, tried it - worked ok.

If you / your brother could send me the first 5mb from any image you do manage to make, I'll examine the filesystem and see why it runs out of memory.

i looked for a program quickly to format to udf2 spec could not seem to find one, i get bored looking sometimes, so just installed the shitty incd tested then unistalled it and then purged the registry from any shit it left behind.

Now I got the name I'll google again for that program, cheers L_UK

I told my brother about this bug and the numeric keypad one and because he had used the program extensively, I asked him to post them. Since he doesn't use DVD-RAM, he couldn't verify this one. After testing almost every possible scenario, I've found which things will produce a disc format which causes ImgBurn to crash. I mostly use DVD-RAM discs in my Panasonic DVD Recorders, so this is probably why you couldn't reproduce the problems I was having. If you only use DVDForm or InCD and Windows to write to the disc, ImgBurn will work properly. The problem becomes apparent when you use the disc in a Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD Recorder or edit the disc on your computer with Panasonic's DVD-MovieAlbumSE 3.0, delete the DVD_RTAV folder and then use ImgBurn in the Read mode. In some cases, even if you copy a few small files back onto the disc, ImgBurn will still crash.

The reason I tried to read a blank disc is because UDF2.0 implementations vary by manufacturer and I wanted to restore the original format by writing a backup ISO onto a disc that I had to reformat with DVDForm. Since you don't need to copy the entire disc to backup a UDF formatted disc, I have attached the ISO of a disc formatted in my Panasonic DVD Recorder. If you write it to a DVD-RAM(it may need to have been previously formatted) and then delete the DVD_RTAV folder, you should see the same problem I am having.

I have also attached an ImgBurn log with with F6 and F8 debug modes turned on.

Hopefully these things will help in finding the problem.

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER.rar

ImgBurn.log

Edited by Voyager62

i cannot delete that folder from my ram disc

well not from windows, with unlocker I should be able to

the files are read only and access is denied even unlocker on reboot cannot delete them or change attributes

cannot extract iso as no archives are found either.

Think you will need someone with the same panasonic ram recorder or one from that family to test this further unless L_UK can see something in log file.

I burnt it, tried it, deleted the folder, tried it again, added some more stuff, tried it, deleted it again, tried it. Still no issues I'm afraid!

You're going to have to provide an image of the *actual* disc that causes ImgBurn to die or there's nothing I can do :(

Obviously you'll need to image it with another program though :)

i cannot delete that folder from my ram disc

well not from windows, with unlocker I should be able to

the files are read only and access is denied even unlocker on reboot cannot delete them or change attributes

cannot extract iso as no archives are found either.

The reason you can't access or delete the DVD_RTAV folder is probably because you are using InCD. If you use Panasonic's DVD-RAM Driver or B's Clip you should be able to delete the folder. Unlocker won't work because the files aren't locked, it's actually the permissions that are set in some way that InCD won't allow access.

Sorry, I don't know why you couldn't download the ISO. I had no problem downloading and extracting the file myself.

maybe I did not take enough crap out when I installed un-installed incd , I can download the rar extract rar but cannot extract iso, thats what I meant by no archives found.

I,ll stick in ram driver that came with my lg drive.

InCd therfore must still have a handle on my comp

WinRAR can only read ISO9660/Joliet ISO images, not UDF-only (and maybe others) like this one. For UDF-only and others you should use IsoBuster, UltraISO, MagicISO, etc. :)

am i missing something here L_UK what is formatted size of dvd-ram as my liteon 20x is also picking up the discs as being 4.26gig(4.27) on a different computer that has never seen InCd. (on a new disc never formatted)

Could have sworn previously had seen 4.37 now I am starting to think I imagined it.

What are the overheads with this media if any.

If it is normal to be 4.26 did you just ignore the warning IB gave about not enough sectors using the extracted ISO from Pansonic home recorder that was uploaded.

[edit ignoring warning failed to write] pretty obvious really but had to try as I'm flummoxed]

from http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa6.htm

Be aware, however, that the logical format (UDF, FAT, HFS etc.) as well as any defect management system employed consume space otherwise available for user information. For example, DVD-RAM can dedicate as much as 184 MB (192,937,984 bytes) on a 1.46 GB disc, 126.86 MB (133,022,816 bytes) on a 2.6 GB disc and 216 MB (226,492,416 bytes) on a 4.7 GB disc for defect management while Mount Rainier formatted DVD+RW (DVD+MRW) can allocate up to 128.75 MB (135,000,000 bytes) on a 1.46 GB disc and 515.94 MB (541,000,000 bytes) on a 4.7 GB disc.

I wondered how you had burnt it etc, then I thought maybe you have 9gig cartridge. LOL

After finding that specs page and this disc for defect management i figured mine are normal.

Could have sworn I had seen properties on one of my ram disc's before though as being 4.37.

Now if only I could get something similar [to the eye candy thread] when looking at the wife.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.