Language selection!

FLiPP3R

• 3 weeks later...
There's nothing to 'help' with.

It's not possible to translate anything at this time - it'll all hard coded.

All you can do is use a resource hacker / editor and manipulate stuff that way.

Well but if you are the author you may have the code It won't be hard to translate it.

We all acknowledge that this is LUK!'s prog and if he wants it to be in English then that's it. However, if he wanted to consder different languages then this might be a way:

One program I saw recently defined "strings" which were user configuarable using the ISO language code as a header. Every time the prog opened, the English string set was written to the AppData folder (thus string updates were promulgated). In this way, ImgBurn could be translated without the source code being provided.

Just food for thought.

Regards

We all acknowledge that this is LUK!'s prog and if he wants it to be in English then that's it. However, if he wanted to consder different languages then this might be a way:

One program I saw recently defined "strings" which were user configuarable using the ISO language code as a header. Every time the prog opened, the English string set was written to the AppData folder (thus string updates were promulgated). In this way, ImgBurn could be translated without the source code being provided.

Just food for thought.

Regards

Maybe we can use this method or simply translate the labels and put into a text file next to the English original label. So LUK just need to find and replace.

lol I think you guys are underestimating the size of the project.

Defining language variables and populating those from text files at runtime is probably how I'd do it, but it would take me forever and would be the most mind numbingly boring task I could ever hope to not do.

Unless there's some magical way of clicking a few buttons and it doing all the string extraction for me, I very much doubt this will be done before the next millennium.

Building a program from scratch with translations in mind is one thing, it's easy to keep up with them when the system is already in place. Converting what is basically a legacy application in one go is something entirely different.

lol I think you guys are underestimating the size of the project.

Defining language variables and populating those from text files at runtime is probably how I'd do it, but it would take me forever and would be the most mind numbingly boring task I could ever hope to not do.

Unless there's some magical way of clicking a few buttons and it doing all the string extraction for me, I very much doubt this will be done before the next millennium.

Building a program from scratch with translations in mind is one thing, it's easy to keep up with them when the system is already in place. Converting what is basically a legacy application in one go is something entirely different.

As I see there are no more than 100 strings (not hidden) in the program I guess there would be more such as error that I haven't seen yet but as I think I can put them in a file. I only need those errors to translate it. I think doing in this way it wouldn't take you more than 5 day's. If you agree this idea I could do a php application like a form to translate it. The structure would be like this:

Original Translated

------------------------------------------

File Archivo

Browse for a file Seleccionar un archivo

Then it generate a simply plain text file wich will be sended to you. :thumbup:

Regards

Seriously, don't waste your time.

I have no interest in doing anything with the languages at the moment.

There are far more important / interesting things I'd rather be working on.

When I'm ready for it to be translated I'll be sure to let everyone know - just don't hold your breath.

As I see there are no more than 100 strings (not hidden) in the program I guess there would be more such as error that I haven't seen yet but as I think I can put them in a file.

From what I've seen I can tell you, that there are about 4000 strings, form which about a half is not localizable (I mean, they should stay in their original form). Among those localizable stings there are many, that do not differ much from each other, like for example:

"Drive Letter: "

"Drive Letter: ("

or

"Failed to Erase Sector "

"Failed to Erase Sectors "

Anyway, it IS possible to translate ImgBurn. ;)

I agree this is technically possible, but in any case the words and sentences have a different length, and as mentionned by LUK the graphical widgets like labels must also be determined the hard way.

So my point is that the translators must keep the translated items within the maximum size of the widgets. And in regard of the developement, creating the code that would correctly size every items while keeping the interface coherent and convenient is a "PITA", especially if the program as said by LUK wasn't designed at first for.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.