How does the layer break on DVD-R DL work?

dbminter

Since there is not setting of a layer break by ImgBurn for DVD-R DL, it made me wonder. I've just had my first experience trying out DVD-R DL discs. So, how does the layer switching work on DVD-R DL? Is it physically set in the disc and ImgBurn/whatever just burns to X sector, encounters the layer break, and writes any additional data left over to Layer 1? Which would mean that the layer break would be "randomly" inserted into the video stream because you never know when you'll encounter it physically?

Yes it's fixed on the disc, it's just like 2 singles and you have to burn right to the end of the 1st before it moves onto the 2nd.

Build mode knows where it is and will align cells on it (and only on it) when showing you the potential LB positions in that nice window.

If you burn an image in Write mode it'll still try and do the same but it's far more likely to fail.

Is DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL more compatible over the other versus whether a DVD player will play them? For instance, I've been a fan of the DVD- crowd because it appeared to be more compatible with players.

In terms of the layer break, it seems to me the DVD+R DL is preferred over DVD-R DL because there is control over where the layer break can go. Especially for movie discs, this can come into play because a DVD-R DL would, in theory, put the layer break in a different area.

I think that is when the padding comes into the picture. You set the layer break where it's desired and then the empty space between where you make the split and the rest of layer 1 is padded with crap up to max and then the second part (after the layer break) starts on layer 2.

I think that is when the padding comes into the picture. You set the layer break where it's desired and then the empty space between where you make the split and the rest of layer 1 is padded with crap up to max and then the second part (after the layer break) starts on layer 2.

That's something else I wondered about. What the padding was used for. Because I seem to recall one of the things with DVD+R DL was you had to write data to the unused areas of the disc, e.g. burn all available space, for reflectivity reasons.

The drive might pad the end of the disc so both layers are equal (you wouldn't know it's doing it apart from noticing it's taking a long time to close the disc) but ImgBurn does it's own padding at the start of the disc so the cells can be aligned in nice places for a layer break.

I'm pretty sure DVD+R DL came before DVD-R DL so if anything, DVD+R DL would be more compatible as that's what the manufacturers would have implemented support for first.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.