Vista, ICH10 and X58 system problems.

Hello everyone,

I have stumbled over a strange error I cannot correct.

I have built a new i7 system based on a Gigabyte X58-UD5 motherboard and two Pioneer DR-216D burners connected to channel 4 and 5 of the ICH10 controller; said controller is set to AHCI. The motherboard comes with a secondary SATA controller, set to IDE.

The system is three months old and I have already successfully burned some DVDs and a few CDs with Imgburn, but it has been a week or so that Imgburn no longer writes data on the optical media after writing the lead in; I've tried to connect one burner to the secondary SATA controller, but I get the same error.

Now, before posting this message I gave it a last try and instead of starting Imgburn and inserting a blank DVD into the tray, I first put the DVD into the tray and started Imgburn....at it worked! The DVD has been successfully wrote, so I went to write an other DVD but I got the same error.

Here's the log:

I 21:29:46 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 21:29:46 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 21:29:46 Total Physical Memory: 6.287.952 KB - Available: 4.579.424 KB

I 21:29:46 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:29:46 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:30:08 Found 2 DVD

Have you tried slowing the burn down to 8x or 12x?

Have you tried some Verbatim DVD+R discs?

Update the firmware on your drive.

Have you tried it with the ICH10 controller in IDE mode rather than AHCI?

Typically, the 'Invalid Address for Write' error follows something else (i.e. it normally pops up when the program is actually retrying something).... so perhaps that first error (i.e. 'Write Error') is being swallowed up by another program / filter drive or something.

Apparently limiting speed to 12x made things work again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Also make sure you're using the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.

First thing I did after assembling the hardware

Have you installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

Of course.

Have you tried some Verbatim DVD+R discs?

Nope, but I only use Verbatim discs. I have 20 or so -R DVDs to burn through before replenishing stocks.

Have you tried it with the ICH10 controller in IDE mode rather than AHCI?

This is something I will never do when all the HDDs I have connected to the controller benefit of SATA advanced features.

This is something I will never do when all the HDDs I have connected to the controller benefit of SATA advanced features.

What is this benefit ? hot plug, NCQ

Can I see some read speads / some write compared to legacy IDE mode when not in RAID

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AHCI

http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/ahci.htm

AHCI is separate from the Serial ATA-II standard

Also make sure you're using the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.

First thing I did after assembling the hardware

Check regularly as bugs are constantly being fixed, especially on newer boards :)

As for trying IDE compatibility mode, that's needed in order to see if AHCI is the problem or not. My Samsung SH-S203B works fine in AHCI mode on a X48/ICH9R chipset :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.