Starting to get I/O errors.

Harry Baules

Hi,

I've been burning lots of 360 games and all of a sudden since last week I've been getting I/O errors like the ones below. Most of the time the games still burns succesfully, other times it fails. I burn between 20 - 30 games a week and the drive is 4 months old. Is the burner on its last leg? I don't know the life expectenc but i do burn alot. Hopefully that's not the problem and I just need to adjust something on my computer. And yes, i do have the newest firmware on it - v 1.09.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 - Log

; Tuesday, 23 June 2009, 22:20:27

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 21:58:23 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 21:58:23 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 21:58:23 Total Physical Memory: 3,106,940 KB - Available: 1,340,844 KB

I 21:58:23 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:58:23 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:58:23 Found 1 DVD

Look at all the errors that I got on this burn just now.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 19:04:04

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 18:42:10 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 18:42:10 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:42:10 Total Physical Memory: 3,106,940 KB - Available: 2,452,640 KB

I 18:42:10 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:42:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:42:23 Found 1 DVD

Try the different speeds available to you. Try cleaning the drive. Try another spindle of Verbs, try to burn one of the discs with another computer.

I/O errors occur when the drive/media and firmware don't play nicely together.

What controller is your drive attached to?

If you aren't sure, do you know which motherboard you have?

I"m not sure what controller. The burner is SATA so i plugged it into on of the available SATA ports. My motherboard is Intel DG45ID. But remember, this is not my first burn. I"ve done hundreds on this burner in this computer.

Any clue as to what is happening?

Ok so it'll be a decent Intel ICH9R controller then I expect.

Is the controller set to standard/ide/sata mode or is it in AHCI mode?

All you can do is check the motherboard bios is up-to-date, install the latest chipset inf drivers, stick the intel matrix driver on if the controller is in ahci/raid mode, replace the sata cable, switch the drive to a different sata port (i'd go for 5 or 6). You could also try uninstalling the controller from within device manager and letting the OS re-detect it after a reboot.

Try the drive in a different PC if you can too.

Is your filter drivers list clear? You can view it via the Tools menu in ImgBurn.

'Copy to clipboard' and 'paste' into a reply would have been better ;)

you're right. didn't look at that.

anyhow i tried the burner on another pc. it burned succesfully but at a slightly slower speed than usual. now i need to figure out the problem. i'm not familiar with all the things that you mentioned earlier. i'll try.

I finally got the burner to work again and I'm burning games succesfully. I installed the latest chipset INF drivers. I also updated the BIOS. And I went a step further and opened the drive to clean the laser with a cotton swap and a little alcohol. I'm not sure which of these things did the job or maybe it was a combination of all of them.

The only thing that is not back to normal is the average speed. I used to always burn 360 games in an average of 15 minutes. Today only the first 3 games burned at that speed but afterwards all games are burning in about 17 to 18 minutes. Do you think the drive is starting to fail?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.