Why I still use Nero

zforray

Try as I might to always use IMGBurn, there are 2-features of Nero that I use all the time, which bring me back.

1 - Multiple/simultaneous drive burns - I have 2-DVD drives on 2-machines that I use constantly, to burn multiple copies of mastered CD/DVD's. When someone asks me for 45-copies of a 3-CD set, it is a major time saver to have 4-drives running simultaneously. AFAIK, only Nero has this feature. I had read somewhere about some "queue" feature of IMGBurn (haven't dug around enough to find/try it, yet) but if I understand correctly, this simply bounces from one drive to another after 1-burn completes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2 - File selection. I am sorry but even the "advanced" file/folder selection process in IMGBurn doesn't compare to a standard "left pane is DVD layout and right pane is a folder/drive tree" process like in Nero. I often burn from multiple drives/directories/networked machines and trying to do this with the way IMGBurn does it, is way more time-consuming and tedious.

Any thoughts on addressing these two (IMHO) shortcomings to an otherwise fantastic product?

Nope.

LUK,

What is the difference between burning a disc from files/folders on a disc in another drive OR an actual on-the-fly option ?

It does work , i tried it once but just wanted to know what the difference was.

Edited by xaudiox

One (on-the-fly) would maintain the existing file system (as it's a sector by sector copy of the entire disc), the other creates a new one.

The actual file content would be identical.

Ahh right, thanks.

I duplicate quite a lot of dvd video discs (weddings,party's etc.) as the file system is the same, I am assuming its quite safe to do it that way ?

(just want to ditch nero)

Edited by xaudiox

• 2 months later...

> Why I still use Nero

I also prefer ' Nero Burning Rom ' for certain things as I like the explorer windows where I can

drag n drop although I like ImgBurn I only use for ISO or bin/cue and video_ts or a couple of

folders, any more folders and also for audio cd's I open up Nero

new versions of ImgBurn give me a headache ...... VERIFY ..... I turn it off and as

soon as I burn a disc it's on somewhere there seems to be a dozen verify's hidden away

and all have to be turned off if one is left on somewhere it does a verify (I only burn

discs at a slow speed so I'm not interested in verify being on by default)

For me if I use ImgBurn to burn a CD then if I insert a DVDR it can detect the DVDR disc

but the burn speed does not adjust and it wants to burn it at the last used CDR speed !!!

Still ... Nero ... probably has a bigger developement team than ImgBurn has :D

> Why I still use Nero

I also prefer ' Nero Burning Rom ' for certain things as I like the explorer windows where I can

drag n drop although I like ImgBurn I only use for ISO or bin/cue and video_ts or a couple of

Sure you actually used the latest version of ImgBurn?

new versions of ImgBurn give me a headache ...... VERIFY ..... I turn it off and as

soon as I burn a disc it's on somewhere there seems to be a dozen verify's hidden away

and all have to be turned off if one is left on somewhere it does a verify (I only burn

There is only one place where you switch it off and on.

Slow burning speed is not the same as it always burns without errors.

For me if I use ImgBurn to burn a CD then if I insert a DVDR it can detect the DVDR disc

but the burn speed does not adjust and it wants to burn it at the last used CDR speed !!!

Use the Automatic Write Speed function and set your desired write speeds with it and you can forget about changing the drop down write speed selector in the future. Nero can't do that.

> Why I still use Nero

Sure you actually used the latest version of ImgBurn?

There is only one place where you switch it off and on.

Slow burning speed is not the same as it always burns without errors.

Use the Automatic Write Speed function and set your desired write speeds with it and you can forget about changing the drop down write speed selector in the future. Nero can't do that.

ok I installed the new version and guess what ....... VERIFY is back on by default !!!

you can see in the JPG the 2.5.0.0 I had turned them all off and after I install 2.5.1.0 they're back on

so why can't ImgBurn remember my user settings ?

The Automatic Write Speed function is a bit geeky .......... Nero is more user friendly ...... honest ;)

You have to put discs in IMB after it looks it click add and then add burner then insert the next brand of CDR or DVDR etc etc

I wasted a DVDR it burnt at CDR speed (my player can't load it) I must not have clicked something after I selected add

Why can I insert a disc in Nero and it looks at it and shows that discs burn speeds and won't let me burn faster

but IMB can't do that

Like I said I like ImgBurn but for some things like multiple folders and audio I think "Nero Burning Rom" is better

post-9374-12690120343.jpg

Are you perhaps not running ImgBurn from the same place?

If you run it in standalone mode (not via a 3rd party app that calls it up - passing its own set of settings), it remembers the settings just fine.

Half those options you've highlighted are nothing to do with anything. If you don't know what you're enabling / disabling, look in the Guide!

As Cynthia said, the only option you need to change is the one in the 'Destination' box when you're on the main Write mode screen.

Multiple folders is handled in the 'Advanced' input mode within Build mode. You'll get a new screen where you can drag+drop from an Explorer type pane to the disc layout pane and you can remove/move things around until your heart is content. To get into Advanced mode, simply select 'Mode' from the top menu, then 'Build'. Now select 'Input' and 'Advanced'.

Even if you select 56x, your drive limits the maximum speed on a per disc basis. So if the firmware only supports 8x on a certain MID and you select 56x, it'll still only burn at 8x.

Yes, AWS is a little geeky but if you don't want to enter stuff on a per MID basis, you can just add 'DVD-R' etc and all DVD-R will burn at 8x.

Try as I might to always use IMGBurn, there are 2-features of Nero that I use all the time, which bring me back.

1 - Multiple/simultaneous drive burns - I have 2-DVD drives on 2-machines that I use constantly, to burn multiple copies of mastered CD/DVD's. When someone asks me for 45-copies of a 3-CD set, it is a major time saver to have 4-drives running simultaneously. AFAIK, only Nero has this feature. I had read somewhere about some "queue" feature of IMGBurn (haven't dug around enough to find/try it, yet) but if I understand correctly, this simply bounces from one drive to another after 1-burn completes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2 - File selection. I am sorry but even the "advanced" file/folder selection process in IMGBurn doesn't compare to a standard "left pane is DVD layout and right pane is a folder/drive tree" process like in Nero. I often burn from multiple drives/directories/networked machines and trying to do this with the way IMGBurn does it, is way more time-consuming and tedious.

Any thoughts on addressing these two (IMHO) shortcomings to an otherwise fantastic product?

About file selection, you can select files (in Windows Explorer) what you want to add, click "copy" (to clipboard). And then click "paste" in the "advanced file/folder selection process", like copying files in Windows Explorer, which is more convenient than it in Nero.

post-32809-126901859929.png

Edited by snow_xmas

>If you run it in standalone mode it remembers the settings just fine.

Hi

It remembers the settings if I tick the box except when I install a new version

>As Cynthia said, the only option you need to change is the one in the 'Destination' box

> when you're on the main Write mode screen.

I found it would still verify unless I unticked every instance ..... ok .... maybe I did them back to front

>Multiple folders is handled in the 'Advanced' input mode within Build mode.

>You'll get a new screen where you can drag+drop from an Explorer type pane to the disc layout pane

>and you can remove/move things around until your heart is content.

>To get into Advanced mode, simply select 'Mode' from the top menu, then 'Build'. Now select 'Input' and 'Advanced'.

Thanks for that (a bit hidden for most people) now it does it like the Nero explorer window does :)

>Even if you select 56x, your drive limits the maximum speed on a per disc basis.

>So if the firmware only supports 8x on a certain MID and you select 56x, it'll still only burn at 8x.

Sorry did not explain very well it burnt the DVDR at MAX (my pioneer 510 dvd-recorder can't read TDK discs burnt

faster than 6 or 8X so thats all I use)

>Yes, AWS is a little geeky but if you don't want to enter stuff on a per MID basis,

>you can just add 'DVD-R' etc and all DVD-R will burn at 8x.

Thanks I will certainly try that .... 'DVD-R' and ImgBurn is my prefered burner ..... and DVD-decrypter was pretty good to I still use it !!

Just to reinforce what LUK has said...being a beta I install probably 10X more new versions than you do and 9 times out of 10 the settings remain the same from install to install unless there is simply a major change which requires a complete reset of certain settings and features.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.