Errors with laptop drive

ItsNannerpuss

I'm having lots of trouble with the craptastic CD-RW drive in my T42 laptop. It's failing to burn to or erase RW media. I don't know exactly what information to submit, so I'm attaching screen shots which should provide the full error messages. One is an error while doing a normal quick-erase, the other is an error while trying to burn an iso.

post-2738-1146426241_thumb.png

post-2738-1146426248_thumb.png

This is probabley not what you want to hear... i had nothing but trouble/problems with my Laptop DVD/CD RW. In the end i gave up with it and purchased an external USB re-writer, i haven't looked back since. Again it doesn't really help you but it solved all my problems.

:thumbup:

Edited by Groundrush

This is probabley not what you want to hear... i had nothing but trouble/problems with my Laptop DVD/CD RW. In the end i gave up with it and purchased an external USB re-writer, i haven't looked back since. Again it doesn't really help you but it solved all my problems.

:thumbup:

I agree most of my problems are probably just the drive itself... I have nice reliable drives in my desktop, my problem is really getting a good drive that's portable. Unfortunately externals are much less portable due to size and space issues...

Does it support RW's? It sure doesn't look like it.

The device name has 'RW' right in it...if that's not good enough for you, the "Write Capabilities" window in IB confirms it.

post-2738-1146432900_thumb.png

Edited by Cyber Dog

Well, I don't see a checkmark in RW box. If there is one, I don't know why I can't see it?

BTW, have you burnt any RW's with this drive before?

Uhhh...one of us must be hallucinating...there's definitely a checkmark next to CD-RW...

Sorry to get "huffy" but a question on that level comes across as a bit of an insult... Maybe this particular drive doesn't like that particular media, but I'm not the kind of fool that tries to burn DVDs with a CD-ROM. This drive is documented as burning CD-RWs by the vendor, lists RWs in the capabilities screen, and has worked with them in the past. Furthermore, these discs work with other drives I own, so they're not useless media.

I wasn't suggesting they are usless, and honest to God I can not see a check mark in your posted image, I don't know why?

I wasn't suggesting you're a fool either, but it's amazing how many of us get caught with the simplest things.

So, you're right maybe the drive doesn't like those disks.

The amount of sectors it lists in your first post suggests that it realy doesn't know what it's looking at.

I wasn't suggesting they are usless, and honest to God I can not see a check mark in your posted image, I don't know why?

I wasn't suggesting you're a fool either, but it's amazing how many of us get caught with the simplest things.

So, you're right maybe the drive doesn't like those disks.

The amount of sectors it lists in your first post suggests that it realy doesn't know what it's looking at.

I appologize for coming off rude.

I guess we need a third party to decide what's showing up in the screen shot... lol

As far as the sectors, thats what I'm posting here about, because I don't know much in that regard. I don't have a lot of respect for the hardware involved, but I thought maybe something constructive could be gained from the errors.

it can still be media ,because the media works with other drives is not a guarantee that it will work with the laptop drive ,and if the laptopis new you cant rule out that it can be a bad drive unless you want to pull the drive fron the laptop and put it in a pc and check that way .

BTW what media are you using or more important what dye ?

Hi polo, can you see a checkbox in CD-RW in the "Write capabilities" on your PC?

yep supports -R and -RW only

hold on a sec while scrolling the post from bottom to top the rw dissapeared then going top to bottom it re appeared some strange crap going on

I guess we need a third party to decide what's showing up in the screen shot... lol

In the screenshot of the write capabilities of the drive, it is capable of:

Reading:

CD-R/CD-RW,

DVD-ROM,

DVD-RAM,

DVD-R/DVD-RW,

DVD+R/DVD+RW,

Writing:

CD-R/CD-RW

rgds,

pfeerick

Ah ok, yeah, I forgot about that deferred error memory problem.

You're getting write errors during an erase... which is never good.

So basically, your drive doesn't support those discs.

<sarcasm> sweeeeeet </sarcasm>

oh well, back to the desktop

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.