CD/DVD Drive disappeared

havok1579

I was in the middle of burning a CD, it was waiting for the buffers to recover, and then the device buffer just froze. I checked it out, and my drive just went and disappeared from Windows all together! It's not in Device Manager, My Computer.. Nothing! It can open and close, so I know it is connected, I just don't know why this has happened.. I have tried looking all over google but nothing helps, that registry fix doesn't work because I do not have any lower or upper filters to delete. Help would be very much appreciated!

Have you tried turning the computer off then on again to see if Windows detects the drive?

I've Restarted it numerous times. The drive is connected because it gets power and is able to close and open, but it is not detected by windows at all. Not in Device Manager, not in my computer, not in Add New Hardware Wizard, nothing. I don't know why this happened, I was just burning a disc, it stopped burning. I terminated imgburn because it wasn't responding, and when I checked my computer, it wasn't there anymore. This has happened before, and I fixed, but nothing seems to be working right now..

It even makes sounds and spins any disc inside of it when I turn on my computer or when I put a disc in..

Edited by havok1579

The IDE/SATA cable is connected? Try also to switch the power off from the computer by unplugging it for some seconds and then restart it.

It's a laptop, and I have already disconnected and reconnected it. If it helps its a optical drive, GMA-4082N

Is there any bios screen which lists the make/size/type of your hdd? The info for the optical drive should appear on that same screen.

If you can see one and not the other, the drive is probably dead.

very true!

but i still suggest u try my suggestion...

Is there any bios screen which lists the make/size/type of your hdd? The info for the optical drive should appear on that same screen.

If you can see one and not the other, the drive is probably dead.

No, I get basically Main, Security, System Config, and Diagnostics. Main just has the time, Processor info, and memory info. System config just has boot options and language pretty much.. Hooray for PhoenixBIOS..

eSkRo: Didn't work.. Im assuming it modified my registry, I already tried that manually :/\

Edited by havok1579

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.