Burn-failure due to "Invalid Field in CDB"

LoneSky

Yesterday, I successfully made a copy (on DVD-R)of a commercially-produced dvd I bought. Now, today, I'm running into repeated failures to do the same thing on a couple of other DVDs I bought, and I just don't understand what's going on (I'm sure the resolution is quite simple, but I don't understand enough of the error messages to solve the problem).

With the first failed attempt, this is the error-message:

I\O Error!

Device: [1:1:0] HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GSA-4040B A304(F:)(ATA) {the destination was my DVD-ram drive, "F"}

Scsi Status: 0x02

Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 53 00 00 00 00 00 38 CB E0 00

Interpretation: Reserve Track-Sectors: 3,722,208

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 10 5300 00 0C 24 00 00 C) 00 05

Interpretation: Invalid Field in CDB

The 2nd. error-message:

Failed to Reserve Track!

Reason: Invalid Field in CDB

Questions:

What on earth is "Reserve Track"?

Where on earth is the CDB?? [i went thro' the top row menu, one by one, looking thro' each of the buttons (including "Tools") looking for "CDB" or anything to do with "Reserve Track", but couldn't find them!]

Some other Window came up, showing this, but I didn't know how to respond:

Create Layer Break Position

This was like a table giving a whole lot of figures.

Then, at the bottom, it had a button saying: "Ignore Layer Break Options". I didn't know what else to do but to click this, & it came up with a message saying that IF I did this, the material would not be suitable double-layer burning. [Well, I chose this because both my DVD-burners in my PC are nearly 8 years old and I don't ever recall them being described as having dual-layer burning capabilities]. Did I choose the right response here?

When I tried to burn the next DVD, yet again I got this type of error-message:

"There doesn't appear to be enough space on the disc to burn this image.

Image size: 3,722,208 sectors (7,269 Mb)

Disc size: 2,298,496 sectors (4,489 Mb) {Question: Is this the destination disc? If so, I was using a Verbatim 4.7Gb DVD-R}

Under the 'Info' tab:

Image size: 7,623,081,984 bytes

Image Sectors: 3,722,208

Min.Required Media: DVD+ (or -)R DL

Free Space: 920,584,192 bytes

The calculated space on the "bar graph" showed 89%

I just don't understand this: IF the 'bar graph' (relating to space in the destination DVD-R?) showed 89%, why am I running out of space on the destination DVD-R disc? In the first line above, it is stating I need a Double-layer (DL) disc! Isn't this all a contradiction?!

Can some PLEASE help me make sense out of all this?

This is the generated log:

I 10:22:38 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 10:22:38 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 10:22:38 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,096 KB - Available: 602,688 KB

W 10:22:38 DVD43 can interfere with ImgBurn's ability to verify accurately, please ensure it's disabled!

I 10:22:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 10:22:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 10:22:39 -> Drive 1 - Info: ATAPI DVD-ROM 16XMax 1.16 (E:) (ATA)

I 10:22:39 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B A304 (F:) (ATA)

I 10:22:39 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

I 10:23:26 Operation Started!

I 10:23:26 Building Image Tree...

I 10:23:26 Checking Directory Depth...

I 10:23:26 Calculating Totals...

I 10:23:26 Preparing Image...

I 10:23:26 Checking Path Length...

I 10:23:26 Contents: 13 Files, 2 Folders

I 10:23:26 Content Type: DVD Video

I 10:23:26 Data Type: MODE1/2048

I 10:23:26 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 10:23:26 Volume Label: [Not Configured]

I 10:23:26 IFO/BUP 32K Padding: Enabled

I 10:23:26 Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I 10:23:26 TV System: PAL

I 10:23:26 Size: 7,090,757,632 bytes

I 10:23:26 Sectors: 3,462,284

I 10:23:26 Image Size: 7,091,355,648 bytes

I 10:23:26 Image Sectors: 3,462,576

I 10:23:26 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00

I 10:24:12 Operation Started!

I 10:24:12 Building Image Tree...

I 10:24:14 Checking Directory Depth...

I 10:24:14 Calculating Totals...

I 10:24:14 Preparing Image...

I 10:24:15 Checking Path Length...

I 10:24:15 Contents: 13 Files, 2 Folders

I 10:24:15 Content Type: DVD Video

I 10:24:15 Data Type: MODE1/2048

I 10:24:15 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 10:24:15 Volume Label: LENNON_LEGEND_PAL

I 10:24:15 IFO/BUP 32K Padding: Enabled

I 10:24:15 Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I 10:24:15 TV System: PAL

I 10:24:15 Size: 7,090,757,632 bytes

I 10:24:15 Sectors: 3,462,284

I 10:24:15 Image Size: 7,091,355,648 bytes

I 10:24:15 Image Sectors: 3,462,576

I 10:24:16 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:03

W 10:24:18 User accepted disc space warning and is attempting to overburn!

I 10:24:18 Operation Started!

I 10:24:18 Source File: -==/\/[bUILD IMAGE]\/\==-

I 10:24:18 Source File Sectors: 3,462,576 (MODE1/2048)

I 10:24:18 Source File Size: 7,091,355,648 bytes

I 10:24:18 Source File Volume Identifier: LENNON_LEGEND_PAL

I 10:24:18 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.5.1.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!

I 10:24:18 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 10:24:18 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 10:24:18 Destination Device: [1:1:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B A304 (F:) (ATA)

I 10:24:18 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 2x)

I 10:24:18 Destination Media Sectors: 2,298,496

I 10:24:18 Write Mode: DVD

I 10:24:18 Write Type: DAO

I 10:24:18 Write Speed: MAX

I 10:24:18 Link Size: Auto

I 10:24:18 Lock Volume: Yes

I 10:24:18 Test Mode: No

I 10:24:18 OPC: No

I 10:24:18 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 10:24:18 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 2,770 KB/s (2x)

E 10:24:19 Failed to Reserve Track! - Reason: Invalid Field in CDB

E 10:24:26 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:08

I 10:24:26 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

Thanxx v.kindly again, guys, for any help you can give. I know a lot of these are basic, fundamental issues to the many experts here, but there are probably a lot of beginners (like myself!) who might be experiencing these same issues and are battling to understand the various error-messages. So, if every one of my questions here could be answered, perhaps a lot of other people may learn from this post as well. Thank you again!

You'll need dual-layer media (and a dual-layer capable burning) in order to burn that stuff as is. If you don't care losing some video quality then you could try DVD Shrink/similar programs in order to make it fit on the 4.7gb blank disc.

By the way, if you want to just copy (i.e. not going to change anything) then you should be using Read mode to make a disc image then using Write mode to write that disc image onto media.

You'll need dual-layer media (and a dual-layer capable burning) in order to burn that stuff as is. If you don't care losing some video quality then you could try DVD Shrink/similar programs in order to make it fit on the 4.7gb blank disc.

By the way, if you want to just copy (i.e. not going to change anything) then you should be using Read mode to make a disc image then using Write mode to write that disc image onto media.

Using a DL DVD disc is out of the question because my burning drive is at least 8 years old & is not DL-capable.

Your 2nd. point: Yes, I DO want a copy of the DVD I was trying to copy. Let me see if I had understood you correctly on your suggestion: let me put this question into 2 stages: were you suggesting that:

(a) I first create an image file of the original DVD & 'park' it somewhere on my h/drive? [if so, then, I would be selecting "Create image file from disc" on the very first window that comes up when I start up ImgBurn? [2nd. command from the top, on the left hand side of the ImgBurn window].

(B) After that, I would be selecting "Write files/folders to disc" (top command, on the right hand side of the window) to burn onto my 4.7 Gb Verbatim DVD-R,is that right? Obviously, if this is successful, then I could delete the folder created (and saved) by step (a) above on my h/drive, because this step (B) does not automatically delete that folder after a successful burn, right?

DO you know why ti is possible to do it this way, rather to do it directly the way I tried, ie. burning (onto a blank DVD) directly from the original DVD sitting in another DVD drive (which would, obviously be the most time-saving method).

I'm really new to this ImgBurn software, and I did spend a lot of time in the last couple of days going thro' all its tools & settings to see IF there was some setting(s) that could be adjusted to make for a successful burn on my part. I have to admit I didn't understand most of the settings configurations - I was hopelessly "lost" amongst so many settings boxes!

Does anyone know IF any setting(s) can be adjusted, like choosing to leave out certain features (eg. foreign languages, etc.) I don't want and burn only the main program in the DVD?

I still don't understand ANYTHING of the several questions I asked in my post; my understanding of those issues have progressed forward one bit. Would someone care to provide the answers to the specific questions I raised?

Common guys, all I'm asking is jus a little of your time & knowledge. Everyone is good in something, and this is, unfortunately, not my forte. I am a Ph.D. (from Cambridge, England) in nutritional medicine, and I've had absolutely no problems in freely giving of my time & knowledge in various nutritional forums. IF someone wants to have a "bi-lateral arrangement" with me whereby we can exchange each other's skills & knowledge, I'm more than happy to do that.

Thanks again for any help.

In no way you can copy a DL (DVD9) disc and put it directly on a SL (DVD5) disc from one reader to the burner.

You have to make a copy of that DL disc to a temp folder on your hard drive. Than use a compression tool like DVDShrink (google it) to make it fit on a SL disc.

In DVDShrink you can eliminate some of you don't need to preserve quality as high as posible of the main feature.

Keep in mind that DVDShrink and ImgBurn can not deal/copy copyright protected discs and here you will not find any help in circumverting the copy protection.

When you sorted out the copy problem and not manage to burn it to a disc, come back and will give you advice if you need.

In no way you can copy a DL (DVD9) disc and put it directly on a SL (DVD5) disc from one reader to the burner.

You have to make a copy of that DL disc to a temp folder on your hard drive. Than use a compression tool like DVDShrink (google it) to make it fit on a SL disc.

In DVDShrink you can eliminate some of you don't need to preserve quality as high as posible of the main feature.

Keep in mind that DVDShrink and ImgBurn can not deal/copy copyright protected discs and here you will not find any help in circumverting the copy protection.

When you sorted out the copy problem and not manage to burn it to a disc, come back and will give you advice if you need.

Hi there, I am mystified even further. You said the DVD disc I was trying to copy from was a DL disc? How did you know that?? I know I even mentioned (and it's there in the Log) that under its "Info" tab, amongst other things, it mentions the "Min. Req. Media" as DVD + (or -) R DL> I thought they inserted the "DL" bit there just to emphasize the much larger space that was required (ie. > 4.7 Gb that my DVD-R discs provided), not they they necessarily mean the source DVD is a DL. Looking at the commercially-produced DVD, I cannot see, anywhere on the disc or album cover and/or materials, that there is ANY mention of DL. Please enlighten on this. Thanxx again.

If what you've got on your hdd is 7GB in size and you've not added anything to it, how can the source *NOT* have been a DL disc?!

To an average end user, knowing the disc is SL or DL just isn't important, that's why it's not printed on the cover etc. You have to look at the disc info in something like ImgBurn (panel on the right when in Read mode) and look at the number of layers.

P.S. your discs provide 4.37GB of space, not 4.7GB. The way they do their calculation is wrong (dividing by 1000 rather than 1024).

Yeah, from all you mentioned there, it lead you to a DL source disc.

I thought they inserted the "DL" bit there just to emphasize the much larger space that was required

Who are "they"?

These days almost any comercialy DVD comes as DVD DL from various reasons: the feature runtime is longer than ~60 min, some added commercials, multiple language sountracks and subtitles, trailers and a lot of extras, etc. So there is no room for all that on a SL disc.

If what you've got on your hdd is 7GB in size and you've not added anything to it, how can the source *NOT* have been a DL disc?!

To an average end user, knowing the disc is SL or DL just isn't important, that's why it's not printed on the cover etc. You have to look at the disc info in something like ImgBurn (panel on the right when in Read mode) and look at the number of layers.

P.S. your discs provide 4.37GB of space, not 4.7GB. The way they do their calculation is wrong (dividing by 1000 rather than 1024).

OK, LIghtning, I'm learning something useful here: IF the ImgBurn generated log (for the attempted burn) shows an "Image Size" as 7,091,355,648 bytes, then there's no way the source DVD (this 7 Gb wasn't sitting in my hdd) could not be DL; for 7 Gb, it has to be DL.

In the 'Panel' on the right, under the 'Info' tab, when it said "Min. Required Media: DVD+ (or -)R DL", was the "DL" bit here indicative that the source was indeed DL and, therefore, one should also use a DL disc for the burning (because there was no way in the world a SL disc would have the space required to burn all the contents of a DL disc)? Was it as simple as this?

Thanxx, Lightning!

Yeah, from all you mentioned there, it lead you to a DL source disc.

I thought they inserted the "DL" bit there just to emphasize the much larger space that was required

Who are "they"?

These days almost any comercialy DVD comes as DVD DL from various reasons: the feature runtime is longer than ~60 min, some added commercials, multiple language sountracks and subtitles, trailers and a lot of extras, etc. So there is no room for all that on a SL disc.

Hello Ian, this commercial DVD I bought (a long time ago) is dated 2003; so, very likely it is DL?

To answer your question, when I said "they", I meant the ImgBurn program log generated for my attempted burn.

I did mention that I had successfully burned, with ImgBurn, another DVD I have (Pink Floyd) which was (according to its cover info) packaged in 2009. The burn proceeded smoothly, no drama. Unfortunately, because the burn was easy & successful, I didn't bother noting the image size (it must be somewhere in the Log?). When this burn was successful and the next wasn't, I thought it might be an issue with some setting(s) rather than a question of destination-disc space, because before the next burn, I did go into the settings to change a couple of things (which I thought were only minor, like ejecting the disc when the burn was done).

Looking at the log I provided, would you be convinced that my burn-failure was simply the singular issue of the destination disc NOT having enough space and nothingelse?

Thanxx again.

Looking at the log I provided, would you be convinced that my burn-failure was simply the singular issue of the destination disc NOT having enough space and nothingelse?

Erm well... if you look at the following line and think back to message box ImgBurn displayed telling you it wouldn't fit, yes!

very likely it is DL?
The History of the Dual Layer DVD

•Introduced in 2003, the Dual Layer Recordable DVD (7.96GB) allows users to store twice as much data on it than single layered DVDs (4.38GB).

I don't have any refference, but since the DVD-R DL was introduced in 2003, obviously the DVD-ROM DL was used earlyer.

Erm well... if you look at the following line and think back to message box ImgBurn displayed telling you it wouldn't fit, yes!

Another valuable lesson here; until here, I didn't even know the meaning of 'overburn'! The prefix "W" in the quoted line presumably stands for "Warning"? I guess another indication from the Log that the destination DVD didn't have enough space is that: 'Destination Media Sectors' was given as 2,298,496 and the "Image Sectors" was given as 3,462,576, right?

Yesterday, I successfully made a copy (on DVD-R)of a commercially-produced dvd I bought. Now, today, I'm running into repeated failures to do the same thing on a couple of other DVDs I bought, and I just don't understand what's going on (I'm sure the resolution is quite simple, but I don't understand enough of the error messages to solve the problem).

With the first failed attempt, this is the error-message:

I\O Error!

Device: [1:1:0] HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GSA-4040B A304(F:)(ATA) {the destination was my DVD-ram drive, "F"}

Scsi Status: 0x02

Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 53 00 00 00 00 00 38 CB E0 00

Interpretation: Reserve Track-Sectors: 3,722,208

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 10 5300 00 0C 24 00 00 C) 00 05

Interpretation: Invalid Field in CDB

The 2nd. error-message:

Failed to Reserve Track!

Reason: Invalid Field in CDB

Questions:

What on earth is "Reserve Track"?

Where on earth is the CDB?? [i went thro' the top row menu, one by one, looking thro' each of the buttons (including "Tools") looking for "CDB" or anything to do with "Reserve Track", but couldn't find them!]

Some other Window came up, showing this, but I didn't know how to respond:

Create Layer Break Position

This was like a table giving a whole lot of figures.

Then, at the bottom, it had a button saying: "Ignore Layer Break Options". I didn't know what else to do but to click this, & it came up with a message saying that IF I did this, the material would not be suitable double-layer burning. [Well, I chose this because both my DVD-burners in my PC are nearly 8 years old and I don't ever recall them being described as having dual-layer burning capabilities]. Did I choose the right response here?

When I tried to burn the next DVD, yet again I got this type of error-message:

"There doesn't appear to be enough space on the disc to burn this image.

Image size: 3,722,208 sectors (7,269 Mb)

Disc size: 2,298,496 sectors (4,489 Mb) {Question: Is this the destination disc? If so, I was using a Verbatim 4.7Gb DVD-R}

Under the 'Info' tab:

Image size: 7,623,081,984 bytes

Image Sectors: 3,722,208

Min.Required Media: DVD+ (or -)R DL

Free Space: 920,584,192 bytes

The calculated space on the "bar graph" showed 89%

I just don't understand this: IF the 'bar graph' (relating to space in the destination DVD-R?) showed 89%, why am I running out of space on the destination DVD-R disc? In the first line above, it is stating I need a Double-layer (DL) disc! Isn't this all a contradiction?!

Can some PLEASE help me make sense out of all this?

This is the generated log:

I 10:22:38 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!

I 10:22:38 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 10:22:38 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,096 KB - Available: 602,688 KB

W 10:22:38 DVD43 can interfere with ImgBurn's ability to verify accurately, please ensure it's disabled!

I 10:22:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 10:22:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 10:22:39 -> Drive 1 - Info: ATAPI DVD-ROM 16XMax 1.16 (E:) (ATA)

I 10:22:39 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B A304 (F:) (ATA)

I 10:22:39 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

I 10:23:26 Operation Started!

I 10:23:26 Building Image Tree...

I 10:23:26 Checking Directory Depth...

I 10:23:26 Calculating Totals...

I 10:23:26 Preparing Image...

I 10:23:26 Checking Path Length...

I 10:23:26 Contents: 13 Files, 2 Folders

I 10:23:26 Content Type: DVD Video

I 10:23:26 Data Type: MODE1/2048

I 10:23:26 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 10:23:26 Volume Label: [Not Configured]

I 10:23:26 IFO/BUP 32K Padding: Enabled

I 10:23:26 Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I 10:23:26 TV System: PAL

I 10:23:26 Size: 7,090,757,632 bytes

I 10:23:26 Sectors: 3,462,284

I 10:23:26 Image Size: 7,091,355,648 bytes

I 10:23:26 Image Sectors: 3,462,576

I 10:23:26 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00

I 10:24:12 Operation Started!

I 10:24:12 Building Image Tree...

I 10:24:14 Checking Directory Depth...

I 10:24:14 Calculating Totals...

I 10:24:14 Preparing Image...

I 10:24:15 Checking Path Length...

I 10:24:15 Contents: 13 Files, 2 Folders

I 10:24:15 Content Type: DVD Video

I 10:24:15 Data Type: MODE1/2048

I 10:24:15 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 10:24:15 Volume Label: LENNON_LEGEND_PAL

I 10:24:15 IFO/BUP 32K Padding: Enabled

I 10:24:15 Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I 10:24:15 TV System: PAL

I 10:24:15 Size: 7,090,757,632 bytes

I 10:24:15 Sectors: 3,462,284

I 10:24:15 Image Size: 7,091,355,648 bytes

I 10:24:15 Image Sectors: 3,462,576

I 10:24:16 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:03

I 10:24:18 Operation Started!

I 10:24:18 Source File: -==/\/[bUILD IMAGE]\/\==-

I 10:24:18 Source File Sectors: 3,462,576 (MODE1/2048)

I 10:24:18 Source File Size: 7,091,355,648 bytes

I 10:24:18 Source File Volume Identifier: LENNON_LEGEND_PAL

I 10:24:18 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.5.1.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!

I 10:24:18 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 10:24:18 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 10:24:18 Destination Device: [1:1:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B A304 (F:) (ATA)

I 10:24:18 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 2x)

I 10:24:18 Destination Media Sectors: 2,298,496

I 10:24:18 Write Mode: DVD

I 10:24:18 Write Type: DAO

I 10:24:18 Write Speed: MAX

I 10:24:18 Link Size: Auto

I 10:24:18 Lock Volume: Yes

I 10:24:18 Test Mode: No

I 10:24:18 OPC: No

I 10:24:18 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 10:24:18 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 2,770 KB/s (2x)

E 10:24:19 Failed to Reserve Track! - Reason: Invalid Field in CDB

E 10:24:26 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:08

I 10:24:26 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

Thanxx v.kindly again, guys, for any help you can give. I know a lot of these are basic, fundamental issues to the many experts here, but there are probably a lot of beginners (like myself!) who might be experiencing these same issues and are battling to understand the various error-messages. So, if every one of my questions here could be answered, perhaps a lot of other people may learn from this post as well. Thank you again!

Can someone answer my questions here on the the "Layer Break Position"? Or provide me with a link to explaining more about it? I haven't got the faintest clue what it is!

The name of it tell it what it is. It's the point where the program instructs the laser to finish the first layer and move to write to the 2nd layer.

You have to read the Guides written by LIGHTNING UK! or cornholio7 to lern how to set it correctly.

There is another Guide written by Cynthia to deal with a posible problen on some specific authored discs, that you should read too.

The name of it tell it what it is. It's the point where the program instructs the laser to finish the first layer and move to write to the 2nd layer.

You have to read the Guides written by LIGHTNING UK! or cornholio7 to lern how to set it correctly.

There is another Guide written by Cynthia to deal with a posible problen on some specific authored discs, that you should read too.

O.K, the first 2 guides look very useful, & I have printed them out in full for future ref. As for Cynthia's guide, it looks like advanced stuff for when ImgBurn cannot find cells for the Layer Break: how often would this sort of problem crop up? Would they crop less with commercially-produced DVDs, or no one knows?

As for Cynthia's guide, it looks like advanced stuff for when ImgBurn cannot find cells for the Layer Break: how often would this sort of problem crop up? Would they crop less with commercially-produced DVDs, or no one knows?

I would say in most cases you need this guide when you convert .avi files and & to DVD Movie compliant files. More or less never for commercial DVDs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.