Failed Burn: Cannot Write Medium

LoneSky

It is not often that I encounter a 'failed burn' attempt with ImgBurn. This one has left me a bit 'stumped' because I'm not exactly sure what/where the problem is. I have encountered this same problem before, trying to burn this very same DVD (an educational DVD given to me by a company. I'm just trying to burn a copy for a work colleague).

Apart from the attached log, I would like to give, here, whatever other info so that whoever would like to help here may find this extra info useful. I have seen this same 'I/O Error' before:

Device: (output DVD drive) (ATA)

Scsi Status: 0x02

Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 02 85 20 00 00 20 00

Interpretation: Write(10) - Sectors 165152 - 165183

Sense Area: 70 00 06 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 0C 29 00 00 00 00 00

Interpretation: Power on, Reset, or BUs Device Reset Occurred

There are 2 buttons to choose from: 'Retry' & 'Cancel'.

IF I click 'Retry', the next windows asks: Would you like to perform the 'Close Track Session/Disc functions, even though the write operation appears to have failed?

IF I choose "Yes", it leads to the above "I/O Error" message again.

The original DVD I'm trying to copy is about 3.5 Gb & I am a using VERBATIM DVD-R 4.7Gb, 16X disc to burn onto.

In the Log, there are a few lines containing the words "Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format".

I would dearly love to know exactly what the problem(s) is. Thanxx a lot in advance for any help!

W 13:20:50 Failed to Write Sectors 165152 - 165183 - Reason: Power On, Reset, or Bus Device Reset Occurred

That's most likely driver or hardware related.

Either way, it shouldn't be happening and you don't want it happening!

So has it just happened the once? If so, forget about it and just burn it again!

p.s. Your drive is a million years old now and probably not that well suited to todays media.

W 13:20:50 Failed to Write Sectors 165152 - 165183 - Reason: Power On, Reset, or Bus Device Reset Occurred

That's most likely driver or hardware related.

Either way, it shouldn't be happening and you don't want it happening!

So has it just happened the once? If so, forget about it and just burn it again!

p.s. Your drive is a million years old now and probably not that well suited to todays media.

Hello Lightning,

It has happened twice in a row with this particular educational DVD. (Surprisingly, it has NEVER happened with a commercial DVD (like a movie or something). So, is it likely that the 'disparity' is between the "format" in which this (older) DVD was produced & my burning DVD-Rom? Did the Log show any real clues as to what was the "Incompatible Format"?

Thanxx again

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.