Adding files/folders to build DVD

cad1llac

I am trying to add a source VIDEO_TS folder to burn a DVD. Inside this source folder is a single VOB file.

When I add the source folder, the file inside the folder is not recognised - ie the log reads, "Contents: 0 Files, 2 Folders" (even though I have added only 1 source folder).

I 15:25:38 Operation Started!

I 15:25:38 Building Image Tree...

I 15:25:38 Calculating Totals...

I 15:25:38 Preparing Image...

I 15:25:38 Contents: 0 Files, 2 Folders

I 15:25:38 Content Type: DVD Video

I 15:25:38 Data Type: MODE1/2048

I 15:25:38 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 15:25:38 Volume Label: [Not Configured]

I 15:25:38 IFO/BUP 32K Padding: Enabled

I 15:25:38 Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I 15:25:38 TV System: NTSC

I 15:25:38 Size: 0 bytes

I 15:25:38 Sectors: 0

I 15:25:38 Image Size: 1,245,184 bytes

I 15:25:38 Image Sectors: 608

I 15:25:38 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00

If I add the VOB source file only (ie not the parent folder), the file IS recognised - ie the log reads "Contents: 1 File, 0 Folders".

I 15:58:53 Operation Started!

I 15:58:53 Building Image Tree...

I 15:58:53 Calculating Totals...

I 15:58:53 Preparing Image...

I 15:58:53 Contents: 1 File, 0 Folders

I 15:58:53 Content Type: Data

I 15:58:53 Data Type: MODE1/2048

I 15:58:53 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 15:58:53 Volume Label: [Not Configured]

I 15:58:53 Size: 2,885,632 bytes

I 15:58:54 Sectors: 1,409

I 15:58:54 Image Size: 3,473,408 bytes

I 15:58:54 Image Sectors: 1,696

I 15:58:54 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00

But still the VOB source file IS NOT recognised if I add the folder that contains the source file. The VOB file inside the VIDEO_TS folder is not a hidden file. There are no hidden folders inside this folder.

I have checked under Tools > Settings to see if there are any settings that are preventing the reading of any files within an added source folder, but there is nothing there that I can see would cause this problem.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by cad1llac

Thanks for your reply.

Your VOB probably has an invalid name for building a DVD Video disc and is being ignored.

Are you able to point me to any info about valid filenames for building a DVD Video disc?

The 2nd folder is the auto generated AUDIO_TS one.

Thanks for clearing that up.

You can't build a valid DVD Video with only a single file, in your case just a .VOB

There should be also .IFO and .BUP files inside VIDEO_TS folder to have a valid DVD Video structure.

Use DVD Flick to create a valid DVD Video structure out of that .VOB than burn the VIDEO_TS folder to disc.

You can't build a valid DVD Video with only a single file, in your case just a .VOB

There should be also .IFO and .BUP files inside VIDEO_TS folder to have a valid DVD Video structure.

Use DVD Flick to create a valid DVD Video structure out of that .VOB than burn the VIDEO_TS folder to disc.

I have been trying to convert a few MOD files recorded on a Panasonic camcorder to a format I can use to create a DVD. I know very little about DVD, and this is the first time I've tried to do this.

So I used iWisoft Free Video Converter to convert the file to VOB format. I'll try DVDFlick now to create the valid DVD structure.

How do you inport from Panasonic camcorder? It is a tape based or memory card/hard drive camera?

Do you use iWisoft Free Video Converter to edit the content or just converting? Does it have a preset to output DVD Video? If it has, choose that for the final output.

If it has not, maybe MPEG-2 TS would be the best format to import in DVD Flick as it is the format that DVD Video use and will not be transcoded again and lose quality again.

If you are not use cuting and transitions or editing the content in any way, just use DVD Flick to import the first file created from camcorder on computer.

How do you inport from Panasonic camcorder? It is a tape based or memory card/hard drive camera?

It is a Panasonic SDR-S7 camcorder and the original recorded video is on an SD memory card.

Do you use iWisoft Free Video Converter to edit the content or just converting? Does it have a preset to output DVD Video? If it has, choose that for the final output.

The original recorded video/audio is in MOD and MOI format. I read that the Panasonic records in this format. I read that I would need to convert these files into a different format so I could burn the converted files to DVD. So I went looking for a video file converter and came across the suggested iWisoft Free Video Converter at www.techsupportalert.com under Multimedia > Best Free Audio / Video Format Conversion Program. I used that to combine and convert the original MOD files into a single VOB file. It was this VOB file I was having trouble burning to DVD.

If it has not, maybe MPEG-2 TS would be the best format to import in DVD Flick as it is the format that DVD Video use and will not be transcoded again and lose quality again.

I'm not sure if there are presets or not, as this camera is not mine and I'm simply helping a friend with this task. Perhaps the MOD/MOI formats are the presets you are referring to.

I have, however, learned that the Panasonic's MOD files can be opened as MPEG-2 files simply by changing the file extension to MPG.

If you are not use cuting and transitions or editing the content in any way, just use DVD Flick to import the first file created from camcorder on computer.

After the above suggestion earlier in this thread to use DVD Flick, I was able to create the valid DVD structure and then use ImgBurn to burn the relevant directories/files to DVD (have also since learned I can burn directly via DVD Flick, but I did it the longer way by reopening ImgBurn and using Build mode).

I really had no idea about any of this 24 hours ago (I still have relatively little idea, but have learned a little today).

So thanks for the suggestion to use DVD Flick.

I'm not sure if there are presets or not, as this camera is not mine and I'm simply helping a friend with this task. Perhaps the MOD/MOI formats are the presets you are referring to.

I meant that the converter not the camcorder if it has presets on output format.

I have, however, learned that the Panasonic's MOD files can be opened as MPEG-2 files simply by changing the file extension to MPG

That is goot to know and it's a easy way to open it in any program. :thumbup:

I was able to create the valid DVD structure and then use ImgBurn to burn the relevant directories/files to DVD (have also since learned I can burn directly via DVD Flick, but I did it the longer way by reopening ImgBurn and using Build mode)

That is a good approach,(I always recommed doing it in two steps) since DVD Flick use an older version of ImgBurn v2.4.4.0 that is bundled with and resides in his Program Files\DVD Flick\imgburn folder.

Another valid point (for doing it the long way, as you name it) is that you can verify if all plays how you expected before burn it to disc.

I really had no idea about any of this 24 hours ago

Everyday we learn something new... :thumbup:

I meant that the converter not the camcorder if it has presets on output format.

Yes, the iWisoft Free Video Converter has a whole range of presets. I can't attest to the quality of these conversions, and the software generally, as I have only used it for this task. I can say that I could play the VOB file it created using VLC, but it did not create the valid DVD structure referred in this thread. As you suggested, I needed to use DVD Flick for this purpose. Nonetheless, the site that suggested this software seemed to have strong praise for the range of converters offered and the ease-of-use, and I did find it very simple to use.

That is a good approach,(I always recommed doing it in two steps) since DVD Flick use an older version of ImgBurn v2.4.4.0 that is bundled with and resides in his Program Files\DVD Flick\imgburn folder.

Another valid point (for doing it the long way, as you name it) is that you can verify if all plays how you expected before burn it to disc.

Both good reasons for using a 2-step approach.

Everyday we learn something new... :thumbup:

Very true. :) However, for a relative newbie like me in this area, I find dealing with multimedia quite complicated and many otherwise minor issues frequently seem to open up a Pandora's box of other issues due to the non-standard files, media, hardware, etc.

So thanks again for your help in helping resolve the issues in this thread.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.