Unexpected image size than the original

FlipD9

This is not really a problem to me personal but just a curiosity. I'm making bootable images of a utility and Win7 installation disk that I modified from the original images. The utility I add a text file and the installation disk I deleted a small file from the original image I made. Everything is set up the same as the original in ImgBurn but the utility finished file is smaller even though I added to it and the installation disk is slightly larger than what I started from. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help,

FlipD9

Well the Win7 image is Ultimate that I deleted a file to be able to pick which version to install. The utility is Offline NT Password & Registry Editor that I added a test file for the instructions. I figured out something since then about the utility and using ImgBurn to repack, it doesn't work as the utility is an Linux base. So I'm still curious about the size difference...

Edited by FlipD9

I've made the image already for the Win7 and I just want to know the difference in size after repack. Even using the method ianymaty posted, I still have the same problem.

Just another curiosity again, what's the difference between using the guide ianymaty posted and the Extract Boot Image from the original disk method?

Do you used any tool to extract and add to the image? If that tool give you the size difference than it's that tools's problem or your lack of knowledge in modifing the install.

If you exported just one image (i.e. just Ultimate and not all others images) from the install.wim, than yes, the image will be different.

You just need to delete ei.cfg from sources folder to get you able to select any edition at install. Rebuild the image with ImgBurn like in the guide. The final size shouldn't be way different, only ~50 b smaller.

To modify the install to run something else after the install finish at first boot, like updatepacks, that's another story and it has nothing to do with ImgBurn.

I used ImgBurn to make the original image of 3.00 GB. Then used WinRAR to unpack the original image, with the unpack folder 3.01 GB in size compared to the image. After I delete the ei.cfg file, I used the method you posted and Extract Boot Image that gives me 3.02 GB as the final size compared to the original image.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.