My ISO image is burned as a movie file

Hobbes999

Help!! I converted an .avi movie file to an ISO image because DVDs with ISO images are the only format my daughter's portable DVD player will play (it won't play NTSC or PAL files). I then burned the ISO image onto a DVD, but it doesn't end up as an ISO file. It ends up as a movie file on the DVD and it does not play on my daughter's portable DVD player (but it plays on other DVD players).

I followed the burning instructions carefully, but to no avail. What do I need to do to keep the ISO image as an ISO image on the burned DVD? Thanks!

When you say it's burning as a movie file, what exactly do you mean? .AVI, .MPG, .MOV, .DIVX what?

Also when you say it won't play PAL or NTSC files, what exactly do you mean? The DVD HAS to be either PAL or NTSC. There's no other choice. :)

In order to play on a standard DVD player, the ISO image contents must contain a VIDEO_TS folder inside it. Unless your player also plays other file formats like .DIVX, as some players do, there must be a VIDEO_TS folder.

I think you've got the wrong idea here.

An ISO is a container (like a box), you put things in it but you don't 'convert' things into one.

What you probably need is something to convert your AVI into DVD Video files (IFO/VOB/BUP files in a VIDEO_TS folder).

For that, you should use something like DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD.

Seeing as how we don't have any instructions on burning AVI files, what exactly were you following 'carefully' ?

Thanks for the replies, Lightning & dbminter. I guess it's obvious I don't know what I'm doing!

I'm not sure what type of video file I ended up with, to be honest. I can tell you it doesn't have a folder with VIDEO_TS, etc, in it. It's a single file that Windows Explorer describes as a "video file."

I have two DVDs that work in my daughter's DVD player, and these DVDs contain VIDEO_TS folders with IFO/VOB/BUP files in them, as well as an AUDIO-TS folder which is empty.

I think you are correct in your advice to convert my AVI file to DVD video files with the VIDEO_TS folder, etc. I will download DVD Flick and try that. Will this software burn the DVD with the appropriate folders, etc? Or do I use ImgBurn for this?

In terms of what I was "following carefully," I used ImgBurn's "Create image file from files/folders" feature to create the ISO image from the AVI file. Then, I used ImgBurn's "Write image file to disc" feature. I take it, this is not the correct process to create the DVD that will work. I will try DVD Flick.

Thanks again!

Once DVD Flick has finished converting your file(s) into DVD Video format, it will invoke ImgBurn for the actual burning phase.

It bundles a much older version though so you might like to copy ImgBurn.exe from ImgBurn's installation folder into the DVD Flick one, replacing what's already there.

The alternative is to burn the DVD Flick output (VIDEO_TS folder) manually using the exact same process you used above.

Only this time, the disc should work ;)

Great news! I used DVD Flick to convert my film and it works in my daughter's DVD player! I am so happy! :)

I replaced the old ImgBurn program in DVD Flick with the latest one and the burning was successful. I have a question, though: after the DVD was finished burning, the burner ejected the DVD, so I removed it. Then, when I closed the tray, it seems like ImgBurn wanted to do something else and I wasn't sure what, so I ended the program. Was this a bad idea? What does ImgBurn want to do (and what should I do) at that point?

Thanks again for your help. My daughter will be very happy on her long car trip. :)

What ImgBurn was about to do, was to check if the burned disc was ok by verifying it. A burn can be reported as good by the burner, but still the disc can be unreadable. The verify part of the burn, checks that.

I am using an external DVD burner so the tray just pops out but cannot go back in unless I push it. So.... I don't have to be quick at all! I am assuming that when using a DVD burner on a desktop computer the tray goes in and out in one quick motion when verifying?

I wonder how qick you have to be to pick the disc out from the tray at cycling. ;)

Remember an old thread there the poster had issues that his cat catched the disc during the re cycling. :(

That explain it. :)

Now I'm thinking that the same apply to laptops.

I'm used to desktops and yes after the burn part the tray opens and closes immediately and go with the verify part.

That cat must be hunting that disc. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.