Does burning blu-ray disc require a Blu-ray burner in my PC?

LoneSky

Warm greetings from Oz!

I'm new to Blu-ray. I bought a SAMSUNG blu-ray player. I would like to burn some of the mpeg-4 & wmv files I have in my PC to a recordable Blu-ray disc (ie. BD-R or BD-RW). Using the ImgBurn software, do I need a true, dedicated Blu-ray burner in my desktop PC? I've only got an ordinary DVD burner which I've successfully used to burn onto DVD-R discs. I've read Lightning's post on how to burn Blu-ray: those files/folders he mentioned, BDAV / BDMV folder and the CERTIFICATE folder - where do I find these files/folders? [sorry guys, but I'm just a beginner in this one].

Thanxx for any help.

If you want to burn Blu-ray discs then you need a Blu-ray burner.

BDAV/BDMV folders are what you'd have if you had the proper files for burning a Blu-ray video disc.

So if you have mpeg4 and wmv files, you don't have that - yet.

You can probably find a tool to convert those files into the correct format for burning as a Blu-ray Video disc, but it's not something ImgBurn can do.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to burn Blu-ray discs then you need a Blu-ray burner.

BDAV/BDMV folders are what you'd have if you had the proper files for burning a Blu-ray video disc.

So if you have mpeg4 and wmv files, you don't have that - yet.

You can probably find a tool to convert those files into the correct format for burning as a Blu-ray Video disc, but it's not something ImgBurn can do.

Thanxx for that, Lightning. Your skills, knowledge & experience in these matters make you a great asset to this Forum. I'm sure a lot of people on the Forum, myself included, appreciate that very much!

Back to the matter of Blu-ray burning (which I am very keen to try):

(a) I have printed somebody's full instructions on writing a "Blu-ray Video disc" using ImgBurn. I'm assuming this "Video disc" is the same as a recordable BD-R, BD-RE, or even the double-layer BD-R. Would the procedure be the same for burning a 3D Blu-ray disc?

(B) Like I said, I have a whole lot of mpeg-4 & wmv video files (which I used to burn onto DVD-R discs successfully using ImgBurn). You said I need to convert these mpeg-4 & wmv files to their Blu-ray equivalents. Are these equivalents the BDAV/BDMV files you mentioned? [Where does the CERTIFICATE folder come from?]. Any idea what suitable software does the necessary conversion?

© I understand that commercially produced true 3D Blu ray movies have been shot with 3 cameras to give the depth & layers necessary for 3D rendering by 3D Blu ray players. The mpeg4 & wmv videos I have are obviously NOT shot with 3 cameras (many look as though only 1 camera had been used). How does this figure in the 3D scheme of things? IF I do manage to burn my video files onto 3D Blu ray discs, and when I playback thro' my standalone Bluray 3D player, would the picture on my 3D HD TV screen look a little 3D (like "simulated"), but not quite true 3D?

(d) I'm buying a ASUS BW-12D1S 3D Bluray external burner. I'm not sure IF it comes with any burning software (probably not). Can ImgBurn still work with it?

Thanxx again, Lightning, you're a champ!

a) It's all the same process, yes.

B) Yes, Blu-ray video discs always uses BDAV/BDMV folders.

If the source doesn't come with a certificate folder, you can just make an empty one. Sometimes it's required, sometimes it isn't.

Something like multiAVCHD may be able to handle the conversion, it's not really my area. Google it.

c) I haven't a clue, again, not my area.

d) All drives following the MMC specification should work fine - and they all do now.

I have a whole lot of mpeg-4 & wmv video files (which I used to burn onto DVD-R discs successfully using ImgBurn).

To make a Blu-ray disc structure i.e. BDMV, you need Blu-ray Authoring software--you can't just burn mp4 and wmv files as-is. Look at multiAVCHD freeware--might do it but dunno about either of those filetypes you have.

Once you have a valid BDMV structure in place, ImgBurn will burn that to recordable DVD whether single- or double-layer, and it will (maybe) play on your Samsung settop player--some players work with these discs and some do not. So you don't NECESSARILY need a BD burner to burn BD movies, although either your Disk Size or your Bitrate exceeds the capabilities of a recordable DVD, then you need BD-R for recording.

Edited by laserfan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.