infinite burn

Igor Sharipov

Update the firmware on your drive.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Pioneer/DVR-112D/files.html

Consider using some decent Verbatim / Taiyo Yuden media too.

Thanks, i updated firmware and it kinda resolved my problem. Though i ran out of DVDs so i could only test it on cds. Thanks for your help, Ill check on DVDs later and post just in case someone will have same problem in the future.

UPD Meh it seems it doesn't care which blank CDs or DVDs i use, which firmware and also IDE mode or AHCI. Just stops to burn randomly. :(

post-41535-0-88223300-1319211134.jpg

Edited by Igor Sharipov

Is your image file contained on a USB hard drive or is your Windows TEMPDIR set to a directory on a USB hard drive? I encountered the same problem and after I moved my TEMPDIR directory from my USB HD to an SATA HD, the problem went away. TEMPDIR holds my Windows temporary files and the default directory where I hold image files made by ImgBurn, both from reads and builds for writes.

When this happens to you, do you have to power off the PC to stop the burner drive from writing? e.g. does the drive light stay on even though ImgBurn reports a 0.0x write speed? I had to power off my PC, even after using Task Manager to close off ImgBurn because the drive kept having activity.

I would also recommend something other than CMC Magnetics media. Memorex and a lot of other companies use that cheap media. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing the MID on the package. You have to physically open the package and insert a disc into a drive that can return MID's in ImgBurn. Verbatim (Usually. Even they use CMC for their CD-R's.) and Taiyo Yuden make the best quality DVD blanks.

UPD Meh it seems it doesn't care which blank CDs or DVDs i use, which firmware and also IDE mode or AHCI. Just stops to burn randomly.

Your log suggests you are running in RAID mode rather than IDE or AHCI mode.

I 17:05:54 -> Drive 2 - Info: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D 1.15 (E:) (RAID)

Right click the drive drop down selection box (when in Write mode or whatever) and select the 'Family Tree' option.

Click OK to close the messagebox and then copy + paste everything from the log window.

If the drive isn't on the Intel ICH9R controller, you should move it there.

If/when it is, you should install the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers from Intel's website.

Is your image file contained on a USB hard drive or is your Windows TEMPDIR set to a directory on a USB hard drive? I encountered the same problem and after I moved my TEMPDIR directory from my USB HD to an SATA HD, the problem went away. TEMPDIR holds my Windows temporary files and the default directory where I hold image files made by ImgBurn, both from reads and builds for writes.

No, my files are on my SATA hard drive.

When this happens to you, do you have to power off the PC to stop the burner drive from writing? e.g. does the drive light stay on even though ImgBurn reports a 0.0x write speed? I had to power off my PC, even after using Task Manager to close off ImgBurn because the drive kept having activity.

Yes, I had to power off completely, cuz otherwise i cant remove disc from the drive/

I would also recommend something other than CMC Magnetics media. Memorex and a lot of other companies use that cheap media. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing the MID on the package. You have to physically open the package and insert a disc into a drive that can return MID's in ImgBurn. Verbatim (Usually. Even they use CMC for their CD-R's.) and Taiyo Yuden make the best quality DVD blanks.

I know i should buy good blanks, problem is they have only these in the local store, i dont wanna drive 70 mi to get good blank DVDs :)

UPD Meh it seems it doesn't care which blank CDs or DVDs i use, which firmware and also IDE mode or AHCI. Just stops to burn randomly.

Your log suggests you are running in RAID mode rather than IDE or AHCI mode.

Last time i changed my BIOS settings from "IDE" to "AHCI"

I 17:05:54 -> Drive 2 - Info: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D 1.15 (E:) (RAID)

Right click the drive drop down selection box (when in Write mode or whatever) and select the 'Family Tree' option.

Click OK to close the messagebox and then copy + paste everything from the log window.

If the drive isn't on the Intel ICH9R controller, you should move it there.

My DVD-RW controller is JMicron.

ICH-9R on my mobo only supports SATA, DVD-RW pioneer 112 is IDE.

Here 's the screenshot.

And the family tree:

I 00:07:50 Family Tree:
I 00:07:50 -> ACPI x64-based PC
I 00:07:50 -> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
I 00:07:50 -> PCI bus
I 00:07:50 -> Intel(R) ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 2948 (VEN_8086&DEV_2948 - Intel)
I 00:07:50 -> JMicron JMB36X Controller (VEN_197B&DEV_2363 - JMicron)
I 00:07:50 -> CD-ROM Drive (PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-112D SCSI CdRom Device) (Bus Number 0, Target ID 0, LUN 0)

ALSO I think it started to behave like this since the last patch AFAIR

post-41535-0-17400300-1319227579.jpg

Edited by Igor Sharipov

Ah of course, I'd almost forgotten about IDE drives! haha

Ok so you're on the JMicron controller which means you should install the latest drivers for that controller.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/

Is the bios for the motherboard up-to-date?

It's an old board now so you probably won't be able to get one that contains the latest JMicron ROM.

EDIT: Snap (mmalves) :)

I know i should buy good blanks, problem is they have only these in the local store, i dont wanna drive 70 mi to get good blank DVDs :)

I never buy local. I always buy online. Brick and mortar stores only carry the same crap, which is usually CMC. Office Depot used to use Ritek, but, I don't know if they do anymore. If I get CMC by online, I send it back for a refund. I've had to pick and choose many times. :) Optodisc used to make a good blank, then switched to CMC. Memorex sometimes uses good media, but mostly uses CMC. Even Verbatim uses them in their CD-R's. I discovered that one by online, too, and sent them back for a refund.

Ah of course, I'd almost forgotten about IDE drives! haha

Ok so you're on the JMicron controller which means you should install the latest drivers for that controller.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/

Is the bios for the motherboard up-to-date?

It's an old board now so you probably won't be able to get one that contains the latest JMicron ROM.

EDIT: Snap (mmalves) :)

Did this ^^^. But I ran out of blanks, I'll try again tomorrow, if it wont work we can try to attach a debugger and what it does when it hangs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.