Weird drive behavior: tray closes when I remove disc!

dbminter

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've burned 8 8x DVD+RW burns so far without a problem. I should get my DVD-R's by Saturday, so, I've got some more burns to make from temporary rewritables storage to them.

I've also taken the dip into the Blu-Ray burner pool! :D NewEgg had a LiteOn for $59.99 with $5 off from $64.99 and with free 3 day shipping.

Well, I've gotten my Blu-Ray drive and put it in, updated the firmware, and changed the drive letter to my specifications. :D

Now, what I need to know are who are the manufacturers of quality BD-RE and BD-R discs? Locally, the only BD-R I think you can find is Memorex, which is probably CMC. There's one Sony BD-RE at Staples, so, it's probably a Ritek. There are also Memorex BD-RE's, but, again, they are probably CMC. So, I'll need recommendations for quality BD-R and BD-RE discs to get online.

Thanks!

Verifies failed again!

I 16:54:50 Verifying Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 1966335)

W 16:54:51 Failed to Read Sectors 16580608 - 16580639 - Reason: Logical Block Address out of Range

W 16:54:51 Failed to Read Sector 16580608 - Reason: Logical Block Address out of Range

W 16:54:54 Retrying (1)...

W 16:54:54 Retry Failed - Reason: Logical Block Address out of Range

W 16:54:57 Failed to Read Sector 16580608 - Reason: Logical Block Address out of Range

W 16:54:57 Failed to Read Sector 16580609 - Reason: Logical Block Address out of Range

E 16:54:58 Failed to Read Sector 16580609 - Reason: Logical Block Address out of Range

E 16:54:58 Failed to Verify Sectors!

I reset the BIOS settings again, but, it's still locked at 8x. And the Verifies fail for the same reason. So, there's a problem with the SATA connections again! And now I can't fix it. Well, I think Dell is on my shit :horse: list now, joining HP/Compaq, Memorex, CMC, and Sony.

I got a 2 year extended warranty on this thing from Best Buy, so, I'll take it into Geek Squad and tell them to check out the mobo, SATA connections, and the SATA cables, while telling them the drives are maxed out at 8x on 16x rated max writers, both from the same manufacturer, whereas the USB burner from the same manufacturer doesn't have this problem. Which seems to limit the issue directly to SATA.

Yeah, I restored to factory default and got beyond 8x write speed, but, got an LCE-Uncorrectable error on Verify, which was the error was getting last week.

Consider me off the grid while my PC is at Best Buy. :bye2:

Well, got my PC back from Best Buy. As I predicted, nothing untoward happened when they checked it out! :rolleyes: The only thing out of the ordindary was they tested a burn with Windows Image Burner and it appeared to be stuck infinitely at the end of its verify. So, I got the PC back home and they had given me a CMC MAG crap disc to test burn with. It Verified fine, BUT it was stuck at 8x max writing on a 16x media that ImgBurn said was inserted and the drive is a 16x DVD-R rated drive. So, I tried burning with one of my Verbatims; it, too, is capped out at 8x! :angry: BUT, it did Verify without error. I am using the same image I had tested and it had failed before taking the PC into Best Buy. They even used ImgBurn and the same test image I had been using and couldn't get an LCE-Uncorrectable error or Logical Block Address error on Verfiy on their crap CMC MAG discs.

So, I don't know what's up. The drives now appear to work, but, are capped at 8x maximum writes. I'm going to swap in the 32 bit machine and see if the situation improves. If it does, then, it's this Dell and Dell is :horse: company. It will have to be replaced.

Well, I swapped out the 64 bit Dell and swapped in the 32 bit PC, with the LiteOn SATA Lightscirbe drive installed. Burned a Verbatim MCC DVD-R 16x in it. It burned at 14x max. Verify did NOT fail. So, Dell is now on my shit :horse: list as this Dell needs replacing. :angry:

Well, that didn't fucking take long! Got another LCE-Uncorrectable error on Verify! With Verbatim MCC DVD-R in LiteOn Lightscribe SATA in the 32 bit PC! I'll just have to use them in the USB drive. :angry:

I'm starting to wonder if it's this LiteOn Lightscribe SATA drive that doesn't like Verbatim MCC DVD-R's. I forget, but, I started having problems with them towards the end of my last stack on a different LiteOn SATA drive. So, I can't explain that. I burned one in the Blu-Ray burner without a problem. So, I'm going to swap back in the 64 bit Dell, put the Blu-Ray in as my primary burner and the Lightscribe SATA as my reader and Lightscribe label burner and see how well that does.

There is some evidence that lends credence to the above theory. The burns I had completed in the Lightscribe SATA Lite-On were done to 8x DVD+RW's. I only received my Verbatim MCC DVD-R's Friday. So, it could be that that drive does not like that media, yet could also explain why the USB Lite-On, a different model, has no problem with them.

I'm beginning to think my problem all along is a bad Lite-On SATA Lightscribe drive that I just got. It's the one that wasn't writing to Verbatim MCC Lightscribe DVD-R's correctly and now it takes 22 minutes to read a DVD-9 that my SATA Lite-On Blu-Ray drive and my USB Lite-On drive read in 12 minutes. So, I'm going to swap out this Lightscribe SATA drive for another Lite-On, the one that came with my Dell is hardly ever used, and see how it reads the same disc.

Well, I think I have sussed it out. It is most likely a faulty new Lite-On SATA Lightscribe drive. Here's my read test results:

Drive Name Average Read Rate Maximum Read Rate Total Read Time

SATA Lightscribe Lite-On 4.4x 6.3x 21:44

SATA Blu-Ray Lite-On 8.5 12.1 11:12

USB Lightscribe Lite-On 8.5 13.9 11:14

SATA Dell Lite-On 8.5 12.3 11:15

Notice the consistent values from the last 3 drives. All had the same Average Read Rate. The Maximum Read Rates for 2 drives were only .2x apart. The Total Read Times are only within 3 seconds difference maximum of each other. But, notice the values of the possibly bad drive in question are half the values of the other 3 drives. It takes nearly twice as long to read.

So, I think that puts the nail in this issue. It's the SATA Lightscribe Lite-On. I'm going to return it and get a different Lightscribe SATA Lite-On.

Well, I get read rates on DVD-ROM that are comparable to my other drives, but, I'm getting really slow read rates in one particular field that only I would do. :D I sometimes have .DVD and image parts stored on a DVD+R DL that I need to mount and read from the drive. In my Blu-Ray drive, I'm getting:

I 16:23:34 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:11:52

I 16:23:34 Average Read Rate: 11,133 KB/s (8.0x) - Maximum Read Rate: 17,014 KB/s (12.3x)

That is the rate I used to get on the other SATA channel. I tried it in the Dell SATA Lite-On on the same disc, and only got like 3x read to take about 30 to 40 minutes.

Now I've got another unfixable problem! Some of my programs icons have disappeared! :angry: Even restoring back to a point when I know these icons in question worked. My tests with a factory default partition indicate the only solution is to reinstall everything. If I have to do that, might as well get a whole new computer. Get USB 3.0 ports, Windows 7 SP 1 pre-installed, get a case with an internal form that is easier to work inside than this Dell, which has a rotten interior form, and get a case where I don't have to remove the front bezel just to install a DVD drive. I've always hated this Dell's bezel.

Well, that made NO sense, but, I fixed the problem. I rebuilt the Windows icon cache, which has NEVER worked for me before in the past when uninstalling Windows 7 Manager broke all my icons and couldn't be fixed. This makes no sense as I said because I restored down Windows partition images made when the icons were working, so, the cache would have been restored, too. So, rebuilding the cache should not have fixed the problem. But, it did. Go figure. :unsure:

Ah, Sony, thy name is quality! :angry: My Sony BD-RE stopped writing anymore! :rolleyes: It's been less than a week and about 5 total writes before crapping out. Tried Full Erase on it, got this:

I 12:00:10 Erasing Disc...

W 13:02:12 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (0%, 0/4) - Session Fixation Error

E 13:02:14 Failed to Erase Disc! - Reason: Session Fixation Error

E 13:02:28 Operation Failed! - Duration: 01:02:04

Turns out Memorex uses Ritek on their BD-R's.

The Sony BD-RE also developed a large crack at its center hole shortly after opening it! >:p

Also discovered something else the Playstation 3 doesn't like. It doesn't like Ritek BD-R's, not playing back navigation properly. And, if you create a Blu-Ray Video disc in ImgBurn with BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders, the PS 3 won't play them! :rolleyes: My Panasonic Blu-Ray stand alone Blu-Ray palyer does. Yet another nail in the coffin that is Sony quality.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.