Hard drive read speed for building a duplicator?

Silenkiller

Does anyone have some tips as to what kind of read speed im going to need to burn 5 dvds at once? I put the image file on a stand alone ssd that is reading about 210 mb/s but it still is giving image burn issues, 3 instances run fine but 2 are having to wait for buffer.

Duplicators normally have a bog standard hdd in them. The problem you've got is that you're going about it in the wrong way... you should be using software that reads once and writes to many - ImgBurn obviously doesn't do that.

The best thing you could do is buy a proper 'hardware' duplicator unit.

Duplicators normally have a bog standard hdd in them. The problem you've got is that you're going about it in the wrong way... you should be using software that reads once and writes to many - ImgBurn obviously doesn't do that.

The best thing you could do is buy a proper 'hardware' duplicator unit.

What I'm wondering is where the bottleneck I'm having is coming from. I understand I'm going about it backwards, but I'm also going about it for 150.00 versus 500 for a good duplicator. I've split the 5 burners between 3 hard drives and yet two still seem to lose buffer. Is this some kind of sata limit? Where is the limit at.

I would guess there's just too much I/O going on for the controllers to handle.

How have you managed to get 8 SATA ports in the first place?

The most you normally get on a single chipset is 6.

Eh just my motherboard. It has an additional 2 ports that are on their own for mobo based raid in addition to the 6 regular ports. Yeah, I'm just surprised its being limited so quickly, I mean theoretically there should be more than enough headroom for this.

Ok so the other 2 are probably on a 3rd party chipset via a PCIe link of some description.

If you want to test burning to all 5 burners from memory, use discovery mode and burn (with 'Test Mode' enabled so as to not waste anything) to 5 DVD-R discs.

At least then you'll see if the machine can handle the 5 burners at once without any sort of ssd/hdd bottleneck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.