Newbie to DL Discs, Have an Optiarc dvd+rw 7580S ad

abagailadams

I've burned CD-R's and DVD-R's (rip, convert and create dvd's etc) for years now on different computers with no problems.... and now we have Dual Layer. I am NOT a Newbie to burning, converting etc of regular DVD's but I am a NEWBIE to DL's. I recently bought some DL dics (just to play around with burning some xbox games), I bought Memorex DVD+RW DL 8.5gb Discs thinking I could A) burn more data with less discs and B) maybe burn some xbox games for my son.. but I'm just getting coasters. For my burner I have a standard Dell Optiarc dvd+rw 7580S ad.

Any advice.. links, anything... I'm good at following directions, updating firmware, etc... just don't know where to look.

We had a bad house fire and this was the only laptop that made it out... we dont have the money for new hardware a atm. hope it will actually burn these DL's!!

Thanks Gents.... and Ladies

Abagail

p.s. HELP :)

P.S. I fully understand if this need to be moved to another thread.. just thought the CHAT thread might get a quicker response as I have been up half the day trying to burn some DVD's!!! ahhaha please let me know if you move it.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Edited by abagailadams

Until you actually say you have a problem doing something (and provide a log), it's hard to know what to tell you.

About the only thing I can say is that a firmware file for your drive can be found here...

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Optiarc/AD-7580S/files.html

I've no idea on which version you're currently running so you may not have to update anyway.

• 3 months later...

I too had a problem with burning dl disks. I have 2 observations.

1. The obvious question is: Are you sure that the standard Dell Optiarc dvd+rw 7580S drive is a dual layer burner? It might be only a single layer burner.

2. Assuming that the drive is a true dl burner, the problem is more than likely your disks. I have 2 dual layer burners, and one of them (the older one) completely refuses to burn a memorex disk. The newer burner will usually burn a dual layer disk, but it is really hit and miss with that drive as well.

I have read several forum posts where all dual layer disks are problematic with the exception of Verbatim. I found a 50 disk cakebox of Verbatim disks on Amazon for $49.95 ($1 per disk), bought them, and have not had any problems since. It would be worth you while to buy Verbatim disks.

Have a great weekend!

Ed Wood

:whatever:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.