Bootmgr could not be found

dts256

Hi all,

When I create a bootable Windows PE iso (Win PE 3.1) using the imgburn program itself, it boots just fine, with no problems, but when I attemted to create one using the command line switches as best I could (it's my first time using the imgburn command line) then the iso boots ok, but after the "Press any key to boot..." prompt, and after pressing a key, then I get "CDBOOT: BOOTMGR could not be found".

The command line I used is as follows:

imgburn.exe  /MODE BUILD /BUILDINPUTMODE STANDARD /BUILDOUTPUTMODE IMAGEFILE /SRC "path to ISO folder"
  /DEST "path to iso file"
  /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + Joliet"
  /VOLUMELABEL_ISO9660 "ISO"
  /VOLUMELABEL_JOLIET "ISO"
  /OVERWRITE NO /ROOTFOLDER YES /NOIMAGEDETAILS
  /BOOTEMUTYPE 0
  /BOOTIMAGE "full path\ISO\boot\etfsboot.com
  /BOOTLOADSEGMENT 07C0
  /BOOTSECTORSTOLOAD 8
  /START /CLOSE
  /LOG "full path\Log1.log

I hope it's all right splitting it up like that, makes it easier (for me anyway).

I've tried both oscdimg and mkisofs to do this. It seems that they expect certain files/folders to be in uppercase, bootmgr is one of them. When bootmgr is uppercased, these booted with no problems, but completely bypassed the "Press any key ..." prompt". I think the other files that need to be uppercased are \boot\bcd, \boot\boot.sdi and \boot\bootfix.bin. See this thread at reboot.pro http://reboot.pro/topic/8285-oscdimgexe-utility-not-case-sensitive/?hl=oscdimg

I realise that's probably how these programs are designed, but it's mighty frustrating when they both provide an option not to force uppercase and then the resulting PE doesn't boot.

Anyway, back to imgburn, I've made loads of PE iso's using imgburn and they've all worked flawlessly so I thought I'd try it with a command line as above. I've looked at the logs from both ways and I can't tell any difference between them, but I'm no expert.

What am I missing here ?

Imgburn is obviously doing something different to the other programs I mentioned but I can't reproduce it using a command line. I want to have my PE with the file names as originally created by copype but I need to be able to do it from a command line as I'm creating the PE programmatically.

If you look at a Windows 7 DVD or a Win7 recovery dvd, they do not have uppercased file/folder names and if you copy one of them it works just fine.

I've attached the logs from both attempts. Log 1 is using the command line above and Log 2 is from using the imgburn program directly.

Log1.log

Log2.log

Remove the /start and manually check the various tabs (especially the bootable one) look the same between two instances of ImgBurn. One you've configured via the gui and the other via cli.

The logs don't contain all the info, so there isn't much to go on I'm afraid.

Hi Lightning,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have a look at that. I built the command line by going through the boot tab mainly. The only thing I didn't find a command line equivalent for was for the "Extract boot information", which in my case is set to the C:.

How are the other tabs dealt with by your program when using the command line ? Are they not set at all, or or they automatically set to some default value, like for instance the values they held when Imgburn was last run ?

I will try what you've suggested and remove the /START so I can do a manual comparison of the tabs.

I'll let you know how I go on.

Once again, cheers for the fast reply.

Hello Lightning,

I've did a manual comparison of the tabs as you suggested, the only difference was, when using Imgburn directly the file system was set set to ISO9660 + UDF, and I had it set to ISO9660 + JOLIET in my command line. When I made the change manually in ImgBurn, my iso booted perfectly.

Now the only challenge left was to be able to do the same thing programmatically using the command line options. I made the changes I thought were necessary and yaaaaay, my iso booted flawlessly.

Many thanks for the suggestions and the help.

And for any future readers, the command line I used to make a bootable win pe 3.1 iso is:

imgburn.exe  /MODE BUILD /BUILDINPUTMODE STANDARD /BUILDOUTPUTMODE IMAGEFILE /SRC "path to ISO folder"
  /DEST "path to iso file"
  /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + UDF"
  /VOLUMELABEL_ISO9660 "ISO"
  /VOLUMELABEL_UDF "ISO"
  /OVERWRITE NO /ROOTFOLDER YES /NOIMAGEDETAILS
  /BOOTEMUTYPE 0
  /BOOTIMAGE "full path\ISO\boot\etfsboot.com
  /BOOTLOADSEGMENT 07C0
  /BOOTSECTORSTOLOAD 8
  /START /CLOSE

I suspect that this would also work for creating win7 install iso's as well, but haven't actually tested that.

If you think it's necessary, please feel free to change the title of my topic to something more suitable so that future users can find it easily if they are having the same problem.

Cheers Lightning.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.