Burned DVD is missing navigation icons.

randomguy

I'm not sure if the problem is from one of the following or a combination.

ImgBurn

Wondershare DVD Creator

Sony DVD Player

I used Wondershare DVD Creator and the final DVD plays fine with VLC media player on my computer. All menu navigation icons appear.

When I use ImgBurn to burn a DVD from the Wondershare DVD Creator VIDEO_TS folder it does not create navigation icons on the final DVD.

Actually, it does when played on a computer with VLC but when viewed on TV from the Sony DVD player there are no navigation icons. So, I can not do any scene/episode/page selections. It will play but I have to use the menu button on the remote and the "next" button to advance to the next episode. In other words, the up/down/left/right controls are useless on the remote because they have nothing on screen to control.This isn't good when giving copies to others as a final product.

I created a DVD on AVS Video Converter and burned an image with ImgBurn and that DVD worked fine on the Sony DVD player. All icons were present and worked.

I'm leaning towards Wondershare DVD Creator being the problem since my test with AVS VC and ImgBurn worked fine.

Is there something missing in the VIDEO_TS folder that I should look for?

I have so many (about 100) VIDEO_TS folders saved/backed up that I would not be thrilled with having to redo all of them again.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is and what could I do to solve it?

Thanks.

Yup, that sounds like wondershare to me.

It certainly isn't ImgBurn.

Maybe a firmware update for your Sony will make it more compatible? Have you updated it?

There is no way to update the DVD player.

I contacted Wondershare and am waiting on a reply.

I tried searching online for a solution but I couldn't find anyone that experienced the same issue.

AVS seems to be OK so far but it takes a lot longer to create the DVD image.

Though, I just had an out of sync audio issue, so maybe it's not any better than WDVDC.

Edited by randomguy

Maybe try convertxtodvd or one of the DVDfab products?

That's funny...I just set up convertxtodvd before reading your reply.

Seems really stripped down compared to the others. I don't really care about having the fancy backgrounds so the basic display is fine with me.

Is is reliable and does it put out quality DVD's?

I started the conversion about 15 minutes ago and it said an hour remaining...and it still says an hour remaining.

It's most likely the conversion software.  Plus, it could be a random fluke with that one conversion.  I use ConvertXToDVD and one time I got a conversion exactly like you described.  I had no navigation icons on the screen.  However, when I converted the exact same project again, it went away.

How many times have you tried converting this same project?  You might want to try converting again and writing to an RW to test on the player.

It's most likely the conversion software.  Plus, it could be a random fluke with that one conversion.  I use ConvertXToDVD and one time I got a conversion exactly like you described.  I had no navigation icons on the screen.  However, when I converted the exact same project again, it went away.

How many times have you tried converting this same project?  You might want to try converting again and writing to an RW to test on the player.

I tried about 6 different VIDEO_TS folders that were created by Wondershare. They all play perfectly with VLC. They all don't display the navigation icons to select "play" or "scenes"  on the DVD player. The buttons are there, they just can't be highlighted and selected.

I am now trying to save and burn the .iso file from Wondershare with ImgBurn instead of the saved VIDEO_TS folder. I'll see if that makes any difference.

Ah, you replied while I was typing.

I've been using ConvertXToDVD for over 5 years now.  It suits my needs fine.  Of course, I don't need anything fancy for what I convert.  It's mostly to convert PAL to NTSC for my TV format.

I'm still waiting for the first conversion to finish. It said an hour remaining for the first hour, now it says 43 minutes left...lol.

If it converts and works I really don't care about the plain graphics/text.

I tried about 6 different VIDEO_TS folders that were created by Wondershare. They all play perfectly with VLC. They all don't display the navigation icons to select "play" or "scenes"  on the DVD player. The buttons are there, they just can't be highlighted and selected.

I am now trying to save and burn the .iso file from Wondershare with ImgBurn instead of the saved VIDEO_TS folder. I'll see if that makes any difference.

Yeah, the ISO probably won't make a difference.  The ISO will just be the VIDEO_TS contents with the necessary image options like the file system type, etc.  The problem is either in the VIDEO_TS or the DVD player not playing them.  Barring anything else, you could try someone else's DVD player or another one if you own one.  Of course, Sony does make a lot of junk so it could be a problem with the player not like the created contents of Wondershare.

Tried the .ISO version...same problem.

The DVD player is probably from 2005. Plays other burned DVD's. It's just these Wondershare created discs.

I don't use DVD's myself.

The discs are for other people so they need to play with all the correct icons and navigation, otherwise I know I will hear about it...lol

I just think of all the time I wasted creating the VIDEO_TS folders and having to redo them all.

When I get a chance I will have to try on another DVD player.

Still waiting for a reply from Wondershare.

I've never used ConvertXToDVD's ISO function.  I always preferred to make my own images from its VIDEO_TS with ImgBurn.

I didn't even notice it had an ISO function.

I'm doing the same: ConvertXToDVD's VIDEO_TS to ImgBurn. Perfect DVD's so far.

And...still no reply from Wondershare...lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.