reading disc

navikzc

I put the disc in it tells me to download 'ImgBurn'.

I get to this site and download the current version.

Extract the compressed file.

I open ImgBurn (no clue what I'm supposed to click to view the images) I tried creating an image from the disc, verifying the disc, I tried selecting the read/build/verify modes. 

Well, it's not entirely clear what you're attempting to do.  No disc when inserted should say you need to download ImgBurn unless it was prepared to do so.  In that case, it should have had a copy on the disc to begin with.

Viewing the images implies you got a disc with pictures on it.  Unless "viewing images" means you got a disc with disc images on it.  In that case, you'd want to burn the images, but that begs the question of what these disc images on the disc are.

Read and Build are different things.  Read mode creates an image copy of a disc which can be burned to writable media.  Build creates images from existing files and folders that can be burned to writable media.

I am trying to view the X-ray on the disc; the ImgBurn on the disc said it needed to update. (it was a compressed file I extracted to my desktop .) from there I am lost because every other disc we get simply works (the first time I've encountered a company that uses ImgBurn). 

It is possible that whoever made this disc with an "X-Ray" on it constructed it to run ImgBurn, but there's no need to view "X-Ray" with ImgBurn.  The X-Ray would either be a simple picture file or some kind of proprietary file that requires special software on the disc to view.  Whatever the case, ImgBurn is not required to do any of this.  ImgBurn just makes copies of discs or creates images for burning to discs.

I'm guessing Xray is a subfolder in the folder Study in the root directory of the disc?

It depends on what Xray is.  Is it a folder or a file?  If it's a file, it will usually have some kind of . extension after it defining what program opens it.

Unfortunately, probably only a screenshot of what you're seeing where it says Unknown in the properties would help here.  And I don't know if you know how to create one.

so on the root folder I have the file for hippa reasons we'll call 

"file1" which doesn't open as it's currently listed as unknown it is .WMPLib   I did try changing it to windows media player but it gave an error.

the second file is BIN- which contains a chrome file(assumed to be the link for the study but it only says "a report was not issued for this study" when I click it.

BIN- imgBurn

Bin-microd ( its empty; I do have view set to show hidden items)

Unfortunately, it's not immediately obvious what this disc is supposed to do in terms of behavior.  BIN is a disc image format that ImgBurn recognizes, but BIN generally is associated with BIN/CUE, which is a file format pairing generally exclusively for Audio CD.

BIN could also be shorthand for BINARY, but without knowing what the BIN file is supposed to do, I couldn't say.

You could try copying the BIN file to somewhere temporary and loading that BIN file in ImgBurn's Write mode.  If it is a disc image file, it will be available for writing to a recordable disc.  If it isn't, ImgBurn will say it's not a proper disc image file.

Oh, NOW I think I see why ImgBurn was called in this case.  You may have had ImgBurn already installed before you received this X-Ray disc.  Double clicking on the .BIN file would have invoked ImgBurn to try and burn it, which may have caused ImgBurn, when it opened, to check for an update.  Then, it may have detected your ImgBurn was an older version.

So, at this point, I'd do what I recommended before about copying the BIN file to some temporary location, loading it in Write mode, and see if you can burn it to a recordable disc.

Sorry for the delay, got pulled away on something else. 

.I've retrieved a blank disc.

.extracted the original to a new folder.

.formatted the blank disc. as UDF 2.01(default)  * Windows was unable to complete the format * I also switched to UDF 2.5 just to be sure and got the same popup.

.Once I go to the extracted file open XYZ.WMPLib; ImgBurn comes up with an error: "Invalid or unsupported image file format!" to clarify this error comes up as imgBurn is opening. It doesn't have a source selected and the destination is the (RW) disc.

.select to search for source; make my way to newfolder

.change file type from supported to all files

. select XYZ.WMPLib

.At this point the "Invalid or unsupported image file format!" error reappears. and the source is set back to "please select a file..."

I hope this is detailed enough to help explain the steps I've taken with the new disc. On the bottom left of ImgBurn it does say "disc not empty" I can certainly try a new disc but I retrieved this from a blank stack and nothing is visibly showing

Unfortunately, your information just furthers my idea that there's no way to know what you're supposed to do with this X-Ray disc without asking who made it.  The BIN file on that disc is not an image format you can burn, so ImgBurn has nothing to do with viewing the X-Ray on this disc.  It appears to be some kind of proprietary format, so only its creator can tell you what you need to do with it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.