Sony Bitsetting

NeilG

I have a Sony DW-Q78A laptop recorder, and I would like to change the book type to DVD-ROM from DVD+R/RW DL. I noticed on your home page the quote: ImgBurn can write most types of CD / DVD images and it supports all the latest writers (including booktype / bitsetting on many of the major ones - i.e. BenQ, LiteOn, NEC, Plextor, Sony). You can even use ImgBurn to erase / format your rewritable media!

I cannot find any mention of Sony in the 'Change booktype' section of ImgBurn. I tried all the other options, but had the failure error message, except for Lite-on 'Next write' on a DVD+RW which reported a success. Unfortunately, this seemed to have no effect because the DVD+R was reported as the same after re-write in Nero Info Tool and DVDInfoPro. Please can you help?

Your drive might not support bitsetting - full stop.

Most Sony drives up until now have just been OEM LiteOn ones - hence the stuff on the LiteOn tab normally works.

Early models only supported the 'Next Write' style of doing things - they've become much more user friendly since then - the drives now remember how you want the bitsetting stuff to be done, even after a reboot etc.

For next write, it really only works well for write once media.

There's something weird about how DVD+RW bitsetting works. I think the disc has to be brand new for the bitsetting stuff to actually take place. A full format of the +RW disc may work, but not just writing to it.

Your drive might not support bitsetting - full stop.

Most Sony drives up until now have just been OEM LiteOn ones - hence the stuff on the LiteOn tab normally works.

Early models only supported the 'Next Write' style of doing things - they've become much more user friendly since then - the drives now remember how you want the bitsetting stuff to be done, even after a reboot etc.

For next write, it really only works well for write once media.

There's something weird about how DVD+RW bitsetting works. I think the disc has to be brand new for the bitsetting stuff to actually take place. A full format of the +RW disc may work, but not just writing to it.

Thank you for your lightning response!

I have also tried bitsetting for a DVD+R, and although I was given a 'Success' message it still wasn't seen as a DVD-ROM.

It seems like I am being punished for buying a Sony, I wish they would see sense and make it possible to change booktypes. Do you know of a workaround to this problem? I am wanting to make DL disks of weddings that I video, so they must be playable in the majority of standalone players, both here and in the States. As you know the MPEG files end up almost twice the size after conversion from PAL to NTSC.

Sony stopped making drives a good while ago and outsourced them to Lite On .It goes back to Dec 03 when Sony announced that they would stop making drives .Lite On makes them and Sony puts their name on them. Lite-On IT has also begun OEM shipments of DVD burners to Sony NEC Optiarc, a joint venture of Sony and NEC. Lite On has also begun to make drives for BenQ . Its getting more confusing every day .Lite On released their new 20X writers .The numbers game is getting out of control, after much testing on this forum its proven that the best quality discs are burned at 12x or less and the %'s go downas the speed increases. I dont see them improving on blank media if anything they are moving to the new HD and Blu-ray discs and before long dvd's as we know them will go the way of VHS

• 1 month later...

Hello, i have a Q78A aswell in my laptop. I have read the posts but I cant seem to figure out what you did to make it work with bitsetting?

I am trying to backup my Xbox360 games but from what I have read this cant be done without changing bitsetting and DVDINFOPRO says my recorder doesnt support this?

Could you shed some light on this for me please?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.